Keep it, im waiting for a few sucessful batches

• Keep it, its still usefull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give it to someone else

• sell it.

• Total voters

I am aiming to convert it into a tiny PVR. It will sit in the BoB which will give it wireless connectivity as well as all the required connectors to connect to a tv.

All should hopefully need to do is get a MythTV client onto the GP2X. Either via a web browser, or create something myself. The actual Myth server and all media files etc will be hosted on another machine.

For the time being, it seems the hardest part is getting an IR sensor to work with the GP2X.

chad78 said:
Um, yeah, I kinda knew that. I was just saying that not everybody who wants a Pandora has a GP2X - so a "I don't have a GP2X' option would have been nice. Also, there are some people so taken by the Pandora, that despite having a GP2X - they may have "forgotten" all about it.

Kinda like the sitcom husband who is staring at a hot woman when someone says "How's your wife?" and replies "What wife?" or simply "Who?"

The "What's a GP2X" would have covered both groups.

Maybe, and I am aware this is a difficult concept, the poll simply doesn't apply to these people! Nobody need vote if they don't want to. This is like going on a car enthusiast forum, seeing the poll "What is your favourite model" and then demanding somebody adds an "I hate cars!" option.

trooper said:
Gave mine away my GP2x months ago (Never used it when i had it) to a dev.

Trooper
And it is still being used a lot :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell it. Well, sold it. :lol: Traded it for a PSP and some cash, actually. Must say, the latter ended up serving me well for homebrew, but I ended up selling that, too. Closest thing I have to a handheld gaming device now is an iPod Touch. Not bad for GBA, but not good for much else.

Though I almost bought another GP2x the other day to give to a friend for his birthday/me mess around with it for a month leading up to aforementioned birthday. :D I ended up going with the SmartQ T5-II instead, it looks like it'll handle GBA and NeoGeo a bit better than the 2x.

chad78 said:
BTW - those who say "Give it to some else" I feel inclined to point out that I am, in fact, someone else entirely. B)
So now you want one? pfft

I'm going to keep developing for it (and Pandora at the same time), so long as my current GP2X gets fixed -_-

SOP, dilute the brand; If not seen as a game device it's less of a threat to the big player niche, rather it be derailed and classified into some other niche market. Let us help define your device for you. Gaming is where the $ at.

I will keep and still use the GP2X.

1. It is cheap and I won't mind as much if it gets slightly scratched etc.

2. It runs many of the emus I use at 100% speed anyway (Picodrive, Temper, GPFce, etc ). More speed with those wouldn't matter.

3. It plays vertical MAME games well.

4. Batteries will always be easy to find.

5. The screen res of the GP2X is good enough for most emulators.

I imagine I will use the Pandora more than the GP2X but I can see having both.

I'll still do some programming for it.

It's a more challenging platform to code for because it has much less horsepower than a Pandora (but still considerably more than a GBA).

why in gods name would anybody get rid of your GP2X?

what is it like $400 for a pandora, NO THANK YOU. i bought my GP2X used for about $120. WHAT IS THIS, A MILLIONAIRES CLUB, id like to see the look on a pandora owners face when their device gets stolen, lost or breaks. the GP2X is cheap enough that it can be replaced easily. i coulden't care less about all the bells and whistles thats on the pandora. and i sure as heck wouldent pay any more than $150 for it.

the GP2X has TV OUT. what do you want any better than that.

i dont know about anyone else, but thats all i want. you can keep the GP2X next to your Television and you have the "WORLDS SMALLEST SUPER NINTENDO". also a TINY NES, a TV GAMEBOY, a TINY GENESIS, a TINY NEOGEO, a TINY TURBOGRAFX16, and a MOVIE PLAYER all rolled into one.

sure, there are some problems with GP2X, the weird Dpad, you need a special device for usb and AV, you need to convert videos, and theres the fact that you cant use power adapter and batteries at the same time, so if the power goes out or the plug gets knocked out you lose your game. sigh.

but the price of pandora is outrageous. theres a reason why GPH dident overload the GP2X with useless features, because it would cost too much.

I don't own a gp2x, or want a Pandora instantly eather.

I just find it amusing that a few community members can actually manage to disighn and produce a viable product on a small budget when company's like sony/ Nintendo etc spend millions/ billions on designing/ producing /marketing sutch devices.

Erm, the pandora is around 300 dollars, but a official price has not been set.
the main draw for me is a competent web browser/other laptopey apps and ps1/n64 emulation, in addition to the things the gp2x can do. Honestly i started this thread just to see how much of a flood there was going to be when the pandora was released, i realize i probably shouldn't hold my breath.

I'm going to keep my 2x(unless someone wants to give me a cold hard cash estimate they would pay for it) but right now i still use it everyday for everything. I might turn it into a games cabinet and sell it to the local Arcade. That would be a lot of hard work for something fun

i'm not really sure what i'll do with mine. it still looks brand new and i've thought about giving it to my friend as his birthday is coming up soon. then again i like to hang onto things forever, i just binned my Compaq 286 a short while ago. :lol:

superspudz2000 said:
why in gods name would anybody get rid of your GP2X?

what is it like $400 for a pandora, NO THANK YOU. i bought my GP2X used for about $120. WHAT IS THIS, A MILLIONAIRES CLUB, id like to see the look on a pandora owners face when their device gets stolen, lost or breaks. the GP2X is cheap enough that it can be replaced easily. i coulden't care less about all the bells and whistles thats on the pandora. and i sure as heck wouldent pay any more than $150 for it.

No network interface = GP2X is much less useful than it could have been. I don't have a job right now, and I've scraped up the cash for a Pandora.

superspudz2000 said:
sure, there are some problems with GP2X, the weird Dpad, you need a special device for usb and AV, you need to convert videos, and theres the fact that you cant use power adapter and batteries at the same time, so if the power goes out or the plug gets knocked out you lose your game. sigh.

but the price of pandora is outrageous. theres a reason why GPH dident overload the GP2X with useless features, because it would cost too much.

Useless features like bluetooth, which I could use audio devices with or tether to a cell phone, useless features like wifi, so I can actually use some less-than-useless things like ssh, useless features like a keyboard built in so I can use a terminal properly, useless features like dual SD card slots, so I can swap data between cards, useless features like USB host, so I can connect something to it, useless features like analog joysticks, so I have a proper set of controls for emulators and games, useless features like a touchscreen on every unit?

I'm proudly paying $330+ for my Pandora and an extra $20+ for the Developer's Fund.

t22r91s said:
I'm going to keep my 2x(unless someone wants to give me a cold hard cash estimate they would pay for it) but right now i still use it everyday for everything. I might turn it into a games cabinet and sell it to the local Arcade. That would be a lot of hard work for something fun
that's a good idea, if totally illegal.
id give you 50, but on ebay they go for a good deal more.

Back