Whats It Like Over There?

Instantjewmix

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I keep hearing things about people having to order batteries and sd cards. How come? What is it like over there in Europe? In america, I can get almost anything I want or need just by walking or driving to a store near by. There are even Entire stores dedicated to nothing but batteries. Is it the same there, or is the consumer whorism of America soley owned by us?

I keep hearing things about people having to order batteries and sd cards. How come? What is it like over there in Europe? In america, I can get almost anything I want or need just by walking or driving to a store near by. There are even Entire stores dedicated to nothing but batteries. Is it the same there, or is the consumer whorism of America soley owned by us?
roflmao ^^
another naive american thinkin we're behind on technology or so ^^
yes, we also just step into a store that sells batteries (and there are a lot of stores that do so), it's all but hard to find here ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 'stores', it just takes a lot longer to get there.

Once you've fed the pony, shackled up the cart etc, then theres the highwaymen to avoid, not to mention the tortuous route we have to take to avoid plague areas.
Sigh.

Once you've fed the pony, shackled up the cart etc, then theres the highwaymen to avoid, not to mention the tortuous route we have to take to avoid plague areas.
Sigh.
ROFL :lol:

Seriously, as an example my local store sells the charger and batteries I wanted for £26 and a 1 Gig SD card for a whopping £49. From the internet the charger and batteries were £18 and the SD card was £9.99.
In American ;) Thats $53.17 instead of $142.48 and thats a huge difference. In the UK at least I think most products are much more expensive than they are in the US.

Now now, he never said that. He simply wondered if there are stores dedicated to the sole purpose of selling batteries, a sole purpose that seems ridiculous, at least to me.

Edit: I just realized this was posted under GP32 general talk... wtf read the damn titles before posting.

- Alex

Depends on what your after I suppose?

Good dedicated electronics shops can be hard to find. Maplins can be ok for things like batteries, but don't normaly keep in a lot of choices of stock.
Different SD cards can be a bitch to track down as most of the shops sell all of the same brands. The best bet nowadays would be to look for these in a camera shop & not a computer store.

Were quite limited by decent D.I.Y stores & equipment too, which can make modding hardware etc. very difficult. In America everyone seems to have a seperate tool for just about every job that you can think off.

I guess you tend to get a lot more choices than we do?

Sigh.
LMAO :D

We doesn't have mexicans and therefore it's cheaper to order stuff online instead to go to a store. :p

mexicans just take our jobs...its them chinese that make our good batteries and cheap products...

*biting my tongue not to make a joke about europeans not having a SUV to drive the long, rocky, slippery way to the hardware-store in the next village*

As said before, buying stuff online can be cheaper than at you local store. Though, I actualy got a 4pack 2500mha +charger for 13.99 euro$ at my local store and that kind of rocks..

The great thing about living in Europe, is that most of the Americans live a long, long way away.

The bizarre thing is that it's usually actually cheaper for us to order from your US shops and get stuff delivered to the UK...
America's economy sucks balls, it has to be said. like 80% of the American peoples money is not owned by the residents, but loaned from banks.

*biting my tongue not to make a joke about europeans not having a SUV to drive the long, rocky, slippery way to the hardware-store in the next village*

As said before, buying stuff online can be cheaper than at you local store. Though, I actualy got a 4pack 2500mha +charger for 13.99 euro$ at my local store and that kind of rocks..
We don't have SUV's, so we can TURN around the roundabouts we hjave.

Hmmm the shops that tend to have SD card or batteries over here, are usually for general purpose rather than someone that needs the highest capacity in both products... and more expensive than ordering online.

roflmao ^^
yes, we also just step into a store that sells batteries (and there are a lot of stores that do so), it's all but hard to find here ^^

Yeah, some are really naive. It is those like that that give us Americans a bad name. We aren't all this naive though. There are always a few "bad apples" I suppose, please don't judge by that. If you want to get technical though alot of *American* southern and rural areas are kind of behind. I have been in those areas and you have go go miles to find any kind of technology. Even then the selection is limited.

I would just like to say that i never insulted anyone. All i did was ask why everyone buys stuff online. In america, the price in store is so close to the internet one, that sometimes it doesn't make sense to wait and hassle with online ordering. And the best thing about being america is the cheap stuff, the massive amounts of money to be had, the cars [European cars(ok, i'll give that one to you)], the fact that i have 4 computers in my room, a tv and several gaming consoles. I also own a car (there are so many of them here that some of them are free. I'm not materialistic, but i can fight stupidity with stupidity too.I have nothing against europe. I like Europe, especially the mediteranian. But I am not stereotyping anyone.

No offense, and thanks for reading.

p.s. Fellow gamers, Rock On.

Back