Whats It Like Over There?

I thought it was a reasonable question.
But yes, in local stores prices tend to be really high, I've seen 1gig SD cards going for £60+ (about $120), which is just rediculous.

DaveC, for some reason I thought you were a Brit?

- Alex

No I am not, but many times I feel like moving there and becomming one :p Either there or the Netherlands, Germany, etc. I hear they aren't nuts like some of us Yanks are ;)

It is not my fault though, I didn't vote for Bush in either election, don't blame me :ph34r:

I would just like to say that i never insulted anyone. All i did was ask why everyone buys stuff online. In america, the price in store is so close to the internet one, that sometimes it doesn't make sense to wait and hassle with online ordering.

Untrue. Compare prices for SD cards. Compare SD card prices online to the ones in the store. In the store they are like 2-3 times the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i were you, i'd stay in the US.

In the netherlands things are becoming "cramped". Almost every acre of land has a city or village on it.
Sure, its very "cozy" but funny thing is that many dutch people are longing to situations where you have to ride miles and miles just to reach a villlage.

Maybe we could swap homes?? ;)

cozmic:
That's probably because you live near the Randstad or something? Here in Brabant, things are okay, and it actually takes a while for you to reach the biggish cities here, at least from where I live.. In my opinion, it's okay the way it is now and I feel there's still enough room for expansion.

Yeah, some are really naive. It is those like that that give us Americans a bad name. We aren't all this naive though. There are always a few "bad apples" I suppose, please don't judge by that. If you want to get technical though alot of *American* southern and rural areas are kind of behind. I have been in those areas and you have go go miles to find any kind of technology. Even then the selection is limited.

I pretty much know both worlds. Lived in Europe and the US on and off for quite a while (St.Louis, MI, Chicag IL. ) in the 1993-2000 timespan. American girlfriend plans to get married, both of us deciding where to live, the US or the Netherlands. Sadly things didn't work out and I'm now fulltime back in the Netherlands, my native land. I totally agree with DaveC on this.
People in Europe and the US really aren't that different when you get to know them, only the joviality and friendlyness of the US Citizens when you encounter them at first can be confusing for Europeans. I like it very much, you can strike a conversation fairly easy and meet interesting people in the US in the blink of an eye. In Europe too, but it's different, people are more reserved at first. European humor, bluntness can be rather confusing for Americans, cause we can come accross as rather uninterested.

As for being naïve on world-affairs. It's really hard to gain an outlook on the world in certain places, the local news and the newspapers can sometimes only bring news on that specific state or bordering state and little focus is put on world affairs. You really have to strain yourself to remain in contact with world affairs in some rural areas. Whereas this is often totally the reverse in (small) European countries. A large part of the news and newspapers deal with European and World affairs. The educational system in the Netherlands more or less forces kids to learn one or more foreign languages, most often kids want to choose more than one foreign language because the foreign countries are so damn close. It's like driving to another state in the US and have a completely other language. I ended up being able to speak and write Dutch, German, French and I can pretty much read Italian, Spanish whilst the Scandinavian languages are quite comprehensible too....

But generally people are the same no matter where you go. They want the same things in life and first interactions are often coloured by culture, but once you get to really know people - man it's really the same. Believe you me, I've travelled around.

As for playing videogames? The Netherlands and pretty much a lot of Europe is a pretty BAD place to live if you ask me. Consoles are often introduced much later than everywhere else. Quite a lot of NTSC releases do not make it to Eurpean territories. Region Lockouts.

If i were you, i'd stay in the US.

In the netherlands things are becoming "cramped". Almost every acre of land has a city or village on it.
Sure, its very "cozy" but funny thing is that many dutch people are longing to situations where you have to ride miles and miles just to reach a villlage.

Maybe we could swap homes?? ;)

Um, no. But thank you for offering.

After travelling for a few years (including driving coast to coast to coast in the USA / Canada) I think England is the best place in the world (But I would say that, right?), maybe followed by rural France. I like some parts of Asia too.

One of the things which does let England (and alas the rest of the UK too) down are some of the people, ie the social underclass we have of chavs, scum, dole cheats etc. whenever I come back to Newcastle airport and her some twat screaming on about something or other in broken slang chav English I do feel slightly ashamed.

But what is great about England (and the UK) is how much variation and history there is, I can drive from my house to Europes biggest shopping mall in 10mins, then 15 mins south into Durham City, a city over 1100 years old (think harry potter location) and then 30mins west into the Pennine mountains then onto the lake district, then up and alongside the 1800 year old Roman Wall and back into Newcastle for dinner. What more cound I ask for?

My observations on the USA are that outside the cities it is like a 3rd world country and the whole place is like a cartoon background: the grid system and building things from what is basicly cardboard makes everywhere look the same (thus losing character) - and of course it has no history. My house is older than the USA.

Canada seems to look after its people a bit better than the USA and actually has some old buildings ;)

Ah I could go on an on...

-Craig

DaveC, for some reason I thought you were a Brit?

- Alex

No I am not, but many times I feel like moving there and becomming one :p Either there or the Netherlands, Germany, etc. I hear they aren't nuts like some of us Yanks are ;)

It is not my fault though, I didn't vote for Bush in either election, don't blame me :ph34r:

I would just like to say that i never insulted anyone. All i did was ask why everyone buys stuff online. In america, the price in store is so close to the internet one, that sometimes it doesn't make sense to wait and hassle with online ordering.

Untrue. Compare prices for SD cards. Compare SD card prices online to the ones in the store. In the store they are like 2-3 times the price.

You wont like it here in the UK. Im getting sick of these human rights laws and these bastards that dont work but are bette roff than me and thse smack heads winning courts cases about being forced to stop takin drugs when they are in jail and being awarded £4000 because they couldnt take their smack wich is illegal whiel they were in prison for doing illegal things!!!! We need the death penalty back and thigs might start gettin better !

Craig - The only great thing about England is its right next to Scotland and the only great thing about the UK is Scotland :p

BC used to be a really nice place to live. And then the liberal government came into power in the late ninties and fucked it all up. All of our tree's are dying because of a beetle that they "created", the lower mainland is flooded with millions of immigrants that some ministers let in on the promise that they would vote for them (great scandal, that) so a large amount of people in vancouver can't even speak english. The interior where i live used to get somewhere in the area of 15-20 feet of snow in the winter (the 70's were amazing here!) but now we get dick all or slush because the government dammed half the fucking rivers in the province and raised the humidity so goddamn high. Northern BC is like a giant effing gas flare, for obvious reasons. And the taxes in BC are not even funny anymore they're so goddamn high.

Personally, as soon as i graduate, i'm immigrating to scotland and taking over the castle that my family owns there. <_<

Craig - The only great thing about England is its right next to Scotland and the only great thing about the UK is Scotland :p
Actually I'm going to add to that, Wales is a lovely land. Sweeping Vallies, amazing views, and we have fantastic pubs ;)

Yes wales is good too my gran is welsh :D. Also ireland is ok too north and south :D only thing letting britain down is that other country stuck on the bottom.

The bizarre thing is that it's usually actually cheaper for us to order from your US shops and get stuff delivered to the UK...

Itstrue its not just for products I ordered my plane tickets online from a us site and saved myself around £200 (shame i spent that on new shoes for the holiday at milton keynes <_< )

One of the things which does let England (and alas the rest of the UK too) down are some of the people, ie the social underclass we have of chavs, scum, dole cheats etc. whenever I come back to Newcastle airport and her some twat screaming on about something or other in broken slang chav English I do feel slightly ashamed.

My observations on the USA are that outside the cities it is like a 3rd world country and the whole place is like a cartoon background: the grid system and building things from what is basicly cardboard makes everywhere look the same (thus losing character) - and of course it has no history. My house is older than the USA.

-Craig

AHHH CHAVS I HATE CHAVS I WORK WITH 3 CHAVS HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM. I HATE THE COMMONNESS THEY SPEAK WITH LETTERS MISSIN .LEARN ENGLISH FOR F!!! SAKE. DO NOT KEEP ENDING A SENTENCE WITH "KNOW WHAT MEAN" (MISSING OUT THE I) BECAUSE WE DO KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WERE NOT DUMB F!!!S LIKE YOU.

Ahh..ok enough ranting anyway. I am going to be traveling to "3rd world USA" soon so ill be able to see carboard city for myself :D

Unless you're going to a city built in the past like...60 years, good luck with that. Downtown new york or los angeles are FAR from cardboard. Its only in suburbia that everything blends together >_>

Back