What's your favourite .pnd source?

Your favourite?

• Total voters

Scntrblob

Just because I like statistics and am curious about it: What site are you mainly using to get your software?

I for my side only use the repo (mostly via PNDstore), since it is extremly easy and fast and does the lazy work like searching for updates. Also I cannot really get across the fact, that the apps of apps.openpandora.org are not maintained by their packagers and partly are uploaded without their approval.

Another good way to tell where people get their software would be to look at the number of downloads for Apps released after the Repo went into open beta.

Wow, I didn't await the result to be THAT clear.

I just love booting my pandora, turning the store on and get everything I need without browserhickhack, SD Card switching between PC and Pandora and so on.

I cannot wait to see where we will be in "2 Monthes"! :)

None of the above. I use the wiki (largest selection and most up to date):
+1

It's too bad the wiki doesn't have a 1 button "get latest version of installed programs" like Pndstore does.

Christopher.

True, that would be nice. ;) But unfortunately impossible with wikis. The best you can do is sort by date and see what's new since you last visited.

I voted "Repo/PNDStore" because that's my favourite out of all of them, but as the maintainer of the wiki lists I really have to check every one of them, as well as the news/betatesting/dev sections on several forums, and previously Pandorasource.de as well (though that hasn't been used since autumn).

I'd say the current breakdown on where I find new PNDs these days is something like this:

~50-60% are uploaded & updated on the Repo

~35% are posted only on the forums (half on GP32X, half here)

~10-15% are uploaded on the Archive (it used to be much more, but it's declining rapidly)

~2% are posted only on the German-language forums

~0% are uploaded first on Pandora-Apps (it used to be around 50%, but slowly declined to almost nothing by last autumn).

Pandora-Apps does have the single largest collection of files in one place, but they just update them after the wiki does, so I don't check there; it's never the first place where anything is posted, and if I didn't update the wiki lists I doubt it would be as close to up-to-date as it is. It does have a useful function in that it keeps files on its server after another link might've gone dead (if somebody posted a PND to a website that is now a dead link, for example).

The fact of the matter is, Craig boasts that his Appstore is the only place where everything is. That's almost true (a few things are outdated or inaccurate, but close enough). What he doesn't mention is that not a single dev uses it, so he can only keep it updated if he knows where new PNDs are located. The guy he's hired to do that is relying mostly on me (updates come after the wiki is updated). And I, in turn, am relying on there being a place that devs actually want to upload to that I can check, because if there ISN'T such a place, devs just use their own servers and it becomes a nightmare to track down new files and updates.

And that's why I love the Repo. It's so easy to use that it's convinced even reticent devs like sebt3 to use it, so I no longer have to check his personal page all the time (and other pages like it).

While as a user, I love it because if any programs are uploaded to it, I can take care of updates with a single press of a button in PNDStore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the repo went up I've pretty much just been using that. I upload my pnds to my own site first and I can just provide the link and it instantly mirrors it for me.

When the site makes it so easy for you it's pretty clear why it's rapidly gaining popularity.

the PNDstore is just so easy, just fire it up update your stuff and see the new titles. The repo is also very user friendly.

The only thing is that with my new modem my wifi aborts on bigger files ... Otherwise I would just download all programs on the pandora

Back