When Am I Getting My Pandora?

LOUD NOISES! I'm cool to drive. Viva la Pandora! nite guys (including lessies).

I am an Atarian and always will be, so I am very used to waiting for things. I
had to wait for LONG periods of time before anything (hardware or software) to
finally come out, but they ALWAYS did. So when things started to slow do here,
it did not bother me at all.

For all you big time complainers there are two things to remember: 1) This is
a small project being done by a small company. This is not something being done by
Sony or Nintendo. We have a very good and knowlegable group of guys who want to
see a very good piece of hardware hit the market and it will. 2) Be glad that it
is coming at all. I have paid good money before for hardware/software that was
promised and never made it. I do not know about you all out there, but I trust
these guys and it is not their fault that these things are happening.

Hang in there, good things are coming....

Lately the boards are getting filled very rapidly with all kinds of doom scenarios and negativity. Getting pretty sick of it to be honest. I dare to say that 75% of what's posted lately is absolute rubbish.

You either wait or grab your money, it's that simple!

While it seems Murphy's law has been in full effect with this project, and almost all of my hopes and expectations have been dashed repeatedly for when I'd receive mine, I've seen nothing from OPT to indicate they aren't doing their very best to get the units out, and there is certainly more than enough evidence to prove the system exists, is viable, and could be mass produced if bottlenecks could be addressed. I only check these forums once or twice a week now, maybe less, and while there seems to be little to be very excited about at the moment, I'm hoping we get back to that frenzy we had when the first units were getting out.

It's almost a statistical impossibility based on how these things are being built, but my current hope is that I have mine by mid-September so I can walk around Tokyo Game Show with it and catch peoples' attention. My realistic estimate, assuming only a reasonable number of disasters moving forward, is December.

Either way: more positivity, less negativity. I'm pretty sure this rash of frustration and venting is a result of seeing hundreds of people with their units, enjoying their units, showing off their units. It'll pass as more units start seeping out.

craigix said:
Telling us what we are doing wrong is no help either, most of us have been dealing with other companies all our working lives. There is a long term goal with this so we can make Pandora 2,3,4 with people and companies we know and trust. What we are going though now is the OpenPanora baptism of fire.
This is absolutely true. It's not easy being a start up company. And frankly I'm impressed that the OPT have come this far. And I would like them to reach even further. It would be great to on the preorder list for Pandora 2,3,4, knowing that I was a little part of what started it all. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
WizardStan said:
craigix said:
What on earth do you think is happening in China? Everything is done in the west aside from the cases, with which we have no issues.
It's not what IS happening in China, it's what hadn't happened in China. They were months behind schedule and you couldn't really explain why. From the outside it looked like the fastest way to resolve the problem would have been to actually send someone. This is what various websites and even that video you like to post stated: the Chinese mentality is hard working to please the boss; boss is in the UK or Turkey, they don't work as hard. It made sense to us (or at least myself and a few others that made similar suggestions) to fly someone to China to oversee production for a week.
Seriously, EvilDragon once said he was losing hundreds per day due to delays of the Pandora. 685GBP will get you a round trip ticket from Istanbul to Beijing tomorrow, so it's not like it would have been prohibitively expensive, and if that week would have gotten them done months sooner then you would have in fact saved money.
But you didn't, and I respect that you had reasons not to, reasons that you chose (either actively or simply didn't think relevant) to disclose, reasons that I don't honestly want to know, simply the fact that chose not to go is enough for me.

edit: actually, it is also kinda what is happening in China. It's been weeks since the plastics "just needed to be painted" before being flown over. The last time they just needed to be painted, the first 1000 that were shipped, you had them fairly quickly after making the announcement that they were ready. This time, you're waiting again, for seemingly no reason to us on the outside, warranting another round of "just fly over there and see what's up".

Awesome, another armchair inventor.

Like I've said before, put your cards on the table before you come out with this guff in future. You have *no* idea what you are talking about, I'd love to see the flip side and see you make something like the Pandora. I'd love to see how all your beliefs on these things fall apart as you try them and they don't work.

Sorry WizardStan, very serious protocol violation there, you must first prove your own incompetence before you can begin discussing Craigx's.

WizardStan said:
Seriously, EvilDragon once said he was losing hundreds per day due to delays of the Pandora. 685GBP will get you a round trip ticket from Istanbul to Beijing tomorrow, so it's not like it would have been prohibitively expensive, and if that week would have gotten them done months sooner then you would have in fact saved money.

Actually, that was per month, not per day...

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
D'oh. Sorry, faulty memory. :(
Timescale still holds, just not as well: if 2000GBP could save many months of heartache it just seemed like a good suggestion to consider. Of course, we can only see how much it could have potentially saved in hindsight which is a poor way to justify anything.
At any rate, Craig is pretty adamant that it would have just been a waste, so I'm accepting that the idea was properly considered and dismissed before it was even suggested.

EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:

And likely not money you lost as in owe, but lost as in could have gained (Please say this is so!). It's too bad cause I guess it just makes people happy to think there is a way to get more priority to get Pandora part manufacturers to speed up. there is only one way, and it's just not feasible right now. An order of say 100,000-1,000,000 cases. Same for boards, double that for nubs etc.
Maybe someday, like Pandora 3 or 4.

But we have to remember you have to start somewhere, and despite all the delays etc. we also have to remember that just years ago, this whole project was considered highly improbable if not impossible. All the issues and delays are part of why no one else has done this yet. The more complex the more problems you run into. If you had left off the nubs, things might have been faster. The product would have been less appealing to some. So when you take into account the balance between device capability and cost, complexity and simplicity, and success despite complication and delay. You should be nothing but proud.

As I've said before, as long as you guys have learned from this. These issues wil become less and less to the point where they are rarely ever a concern and this part was just an old bad memory. The lost sales, the damaged psyche from having to defend all the time, the stress, it will all fade and happy people with their devices will spread the word and all will be well.
I know some may think this is too rosy and not likely, but for all businesses I'd imagine the initial setup is a nightmare but eventually it works out otherwise no one would ever start one. At this point I think only total company failure could be worse than what they have had to put up with so far, and of course we all don't expect that, so the only place to go is up.

Another positive of this whole project is just like Stan's post above me shows, the customers are actually interested in helping you MAKE money not debt, instead of just being "get my device done faster" that has to feel nice. :lol:

Poem58 said:
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:

And likely not money you lost as in owe, but lost as in could have gained (Please say this is so!).

Well, a bit as in owe, as I upgraded the servers for the Pandora, founded a company, rented a room, etc. and that all costs money :)

Last edited:
Back