When Is The Dingoo A320 Sub Forum Being Added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Franxis' said:
Anyway i'm pretty sure i will get a Dingo A320 if there is enough information to code on it in the near future :rolleyes: .
Which, funny enough, if a A320 sub-forum is added developers could start sharing right away. No doubt a port of your excellent GP2X MAME would guarantee a lot more A320 owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a developer, I have a Dingoo A320, I'm beginning to get an inkling of how to make an A320 app... but it'd be a lot easier if there was somewhere where I could discuss it with other devs, share tips and tricks, etc.

I sincerely suspect that a Jaguar emulator for the A320 would be a major selling point for the machine, Firefox.

However, as quite a lot of people around here are so pointlessly opposed to anything non-GPH (rather than supporting open architectures), you might try asking Rick and seeing if he'll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)

D.

'Dunny' said:
I sincerely suspect that a Jaguar emulator for the A320 would be a major selling point for the machine, Firefox.

However, as quite a lot of people around here are so pointlessly opposed to anything non-GPH (rather than supporting open architectures), you might try asking Rick and seeing if he'll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)

D.
Pandora is non-GPH. I'm sure an A320 forum could get added here..

I don't really relish the thought of porting Temper to it though (in case anyone was wondering), since I tried porting the C cores to PSP and it ran poorly. I'm not really up for writing interpreters in MIPS, since MIPS lacks some features that makes them pretty dreadful to write (somehow I feel bad about having to do multiple instructions for a register + register memory access...)

'Dunny' said:
I'm aiming slightly lower to start with. Like making one pixel change colour, or something. :)

'Dunny' said:
you might try asking Rick and seeing if he'll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)
Dunno, the subforums there tend to be more activity-based rather than platform-based...

'Firefox' said:
'Dunny' said:
I'm aiming slightly lower to start with. Like making one pixel change colour, or something. :)

'Dunny' said:
you might try asking Rick and seeing if he'll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)
Dunno, the subforums there tend to be more activity-based rather than platform-based...

Emuboards has an inactive sub-forum for the JXD 301. I don't see why Guyfawkes would be against the idea of switching it over for the Dingoo A320 if there was a need.

'Firefox' said:
I'm aiming slightly lower to start with. Like making one pixel change colour, or something.
Take a look at the interface.c file (lcd_get_frame and kbd_get_status) included with the SDK examples.

'Dunny' said:
try asking Rick and seeing if he'll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)

D.
There is also a forum at a320.freeforums.org

'Exophase' said:

I don't really relish the thought of porting Temper to it though (in case anyone was wondering), since I tried porting the C cores to PSP and it ran poorly. I'm not really up for writing interpreters in MIPS, since MIPS lacks some features that makes them pretty dreadful to write (somehow I feel bad about having to do multiple instructions for a register + register memory access...)
Is the included GBA emulator on the A320 actually a port of Temper? There is a Dingoo representative (Sofia) over at a320.freeforums.org who might have access to the source for that port or at least the "engineers" (as she calls them) who ported it.

'quartercast' said:
'Dunny' said:
try asking Rick and seeing if he''ll host an A320 programming subforum on that famous fluffy forum instead :)

D.
There is also a forum at a320.freeforums.org

'Exophase' said:

Is the included GBA emulator on the A320 actually a port of Temper? There is a Dingoo representative (Sofia) over at a320.freeforums.org who might have access to the source for that port or at least the "engineers" (as she calls them) who ported it.

My GBA emulator is gpSP, Temper is my PC-Engine emulator. The emulator they use on A320 is most likely gpSP because it has bugs that only gpSP has, and because writing a well GBA emulator that runs well on a 360 or 400MHz MIPS platform is a lot of work and companies making ultra cheap Chinese PMPs would rather avoid doing a lot of work.

Legally they should be required to release the source if it's gpSP, although all kinds of Chinese PMPs use GPLed emulators.

'A600' said:
'Firefox' said:
I'm aiming slightly lower to start with. Like making one pixel change colour, or something.
Take a look at the interface.c file (lcd_get_frame and kbd_get_status) included with the SDK examples.

Hi A600,
I have taken a look at interface.c. There are 2 questions I'm not sure whether you can answer. I don't have a Dingoo at the moment so not able to try it out,

1. lcd_get_frame() basically calls _lcd_get_frame() to return the pointer to lcd frame buffer. lcd_set_frame() copys the buffer pointed by g_pGameDecodeBuf into this frame buffer. Now, the problem is, I have not been able to find anywhere in the s2d SDK that references g_pGameDecodeBuf. I have used nm on s2d.a to get a list of symbols. And g_pGameDecodeBuf is no where to be found. How does s2d sdk write to the frame buffer then?

2. Can we directly use lcd_get_frame() and lcd_set_frame() to manipulate the frame buffer? Any initialization need to be done? Again, without s2d source code, it's hard to tell.

'rookie1' said:
I have taken a look at interface.c. There are 2 questions I'm not sure whether you can answer. I don't have a Dingoo at the moment so not able to try it out
I only have a bricked Dingoo :( so I never tested those functions.

'quartercast' said:
There is a Dingoo representative (Sofia) over at a320.freeforums.org who might have access to the source for that port or at least the "engineers" (as she calls them) who ported it.
Sure thing :D Someone who doesn't tell us the big secret about the OS (µCosII) is going to release 'his' source code.

Q: What operating system does the dingoo A320 run?
A: Sorry for that I can not tell you, hope you can understand this is our commercial secret.

Haha, commercial secret.

They rip other people off but don't want to be ripped off themselves?

'A600' said:
'rookie1' said:
I have taken a look at interface.c. There are 2 questions I'm not sure whether you can answer. I don't have a Dingoo at the moment so not able to try it out
I only have a bricked Dingoo :( so I never tested those functions.

'quartercast' said:
There is a Dingoo representative (Sofia) over at a320.freeforums.org who might have access to the source for that port or at least the "engineers" (as she calls them) who ported it.
Sure thing :D Someone who doesn't tell us the big secret about the OS (µCosII) is going to release 'his' source code.

Q: What operating system does the dingoo A320 run?
A: Sorry for that I can not tell you, hope you can understand this is our commercial secret.

Hi A600,

As someone who clearly knows what you are doing and talking about, we at dingoo-scene would be grateful if you could pop by and answer some or all of these questions:

1. How hard is this thing to code for?

2. How “open” is the architecture?

3. Is it correct to say µCosII is the Dingoo’s OS?

4. µCosII appears to be proprietary – although googling it, information seems very readily available. Is it easy to code for?

5. You obviously know what you’re doing. Where does one begin? (How do I apply my extensive knowledge of BASIC from my c64 :)…)

6. Are you working on anything you would like to mention, or is this just a sideline for you?

7. How likely is it we will see:

a. emulators for other systems not currently on the Dingoo

b. improvements to existing emulators

c. other homebrew software

from developers like yourself?

8. You’re probably sick of the fanboy “we want MAMES or Frodo or [insert pubescent nostalgia system of choice here]” requests … but apart from the moral support and undying adulation from us rabble, is there anything we can do to help the homebrew , ah, “scene” along?

9. What do you really need from Shenzen Dingoo-digital, which would help?

10. Will this thing be around in 6 months, IYHO?

11. Is there anything else you’d like to add?

Thank you for your time
Larry

Someone pointed me to this post as a few people were interested in getting a forum for the Dingoo set up here and it was mentioned I could set one up on mine instead. It is no problem for me to set up a sub forum at Emuboards so if there is enough people interested I can do so. Let me know and I can set it all up.

'Guyfawkes' said:
It is no problem for me to set up a sub forum at Emuboards so if there is enough people interested I can do so.
You might as well set it up. Hando hasn't said checked in either way on it, and there is certainly enough interest.

I have set up the forums at the link below.

CODE
http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?showforum=110

Theres two forums for now, the first is for any News such as new releases of software etc. Any new topics posted there will be hidden until approved by a moderator as the news goes to our front page for everyone to see, once approved any replies can be made as normal.

The second forum is for all other discussion. For the moment everything can go in one forum until there are enough posts to warrant additional forums such as Emulators, Development etc.

Guest posting is allowed on the forums, I would recommend registering to use the other features such as PM etc. Both forums are set up to allow file uploads for registered members, please do not abuse them with junk :)

Also, if there is anyone interested in being a moderator please PM me here as I will be checking your posts here to see if you are any good :)

Any questions? let me know here or on my forum. Have fun!

-edit - I set up a RSS feed for Dingoo A320 News
CODE
http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.php?act=rssout&id=15

'rookie1' said:
'A600' said:
'Firefox' said:

Hi A600,
I have taken a look at interface.c. There are 2 questions I'm not sure whether you can answer. I don't have a Dingoo at the moment so not able to try it out,

1. lcd_get_frame() basically calls _lcd_get_frame() to return the pointer to lcd frame buffer. lcd_set_frame() copys the buffer pointed by g_pGameDecodeBuf into this frame buffer. Now, the problem is, I have not been able to find anywhere in the s2d SDK that references g_pGameDecodeBuf. I have used nm on s2d.a to get a list of symbols. And g_pGameDecodeBuf is no where to be found. How does s2d sdk write to the frame buffer then?

2. Can we directly use lcd_get_frame() and lcd_set_frame() to manipulate the frame buffer? Any initialization need to be done? Again, without s2d source code, it's hard to tell.

Those functions are in entry.a, I'm trying to figure what can be done using these rather than the s2dk.

Does Dingoo even slightly try to comply with the GPL? In addition to gpSP, it looks like they include Nester, Snes9x, and FFmpeg.

ok, snes9x isn't GPL, but still..

'Neko' said:
Does Dingoo even slightly try to comply with the GPL? In addition to gpSP, it looks like they include Nester, Snes9x, and FFmpeg.

ok, snes9x isn't GPL, but still..
when you're building a device made specifically to rip off major games console manufacturers i think adhering to some poxy little gpl rules with regards the emulators is probably low on the list of priorities. im not saying its right, but c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back