Where Next

Pinnacle of software for me would be fullspeed Sega Model 2 emulation. Arcade-perfect portable Sega Rally and Daytona USA would be beyond awesome.

One of the reasons I mentioned ID engine (Doom 3) was not only for the game itself, but because there's tools out there to build maps etc, and it would be a very accomplished engine(I don't know about the other engines being ported). But with some decent levels, textures, control methods all custom to the Pand, I think that could make a very impressive Pandora game, gameplay and graphically.

Wonder if I could hold it vertically and write using the stylus, as I think it may be a bit awkward holding it normally, I don't think the screen will open far enough to make it comfortable to write that way for long periods of time, in meetings etc.

It's going to be a replacement PDA, PMP, do some development on the go, and gaming. Also a replacement for my laptop for a fair bit of the time. I think it should do all the productivity stuff pretty much straight away, truth is I kinda stopped gaming a loooong time ago, still interested in gaming just don't play any more, so hopping this will be my entrance back into it.

I think Doom 3 will push the hardware (and be playable), just for us to make it do something interesting with it.

[Edit] Sega Model 2 emulation hmmmm... now that would be nice!

Mia said:
Pinnacle of software for me would be fullspeed Sega Model 2 emulation. Arcade-perfect portable Sega Rally and Daytona USA would be beyond awesome.

Ahh now there's an idea.

Daytona should hopefully be covered by Dreamcast emulation but Sega Rally is proving a real sticking point. If the PSP version is anything like the X Box 360 then there's no real hope there.

I have no idea about Model 2 emulation really. IS it likely to happen on Pandora? And would it be easier or more difficult than, for example, Saturn emulation? Is there an OS Model 2 emulator out there?

Is Model 2 backwards compatible with Model 1? Would Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter work, for example?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tokiopop said:
Full speed N64 and ports of the Infinity engine and Homeworld = very happy me.

Plansescape: Torment would be the bees' knees.

Lunatic said:
Tokiopop said:

No, Baldurs Gate 2! I installed Windows on my Mac just so I could play that game.

...then I found out there was a Mac version...

There are some things I expect from Pandora...
* Full OpenOffice Support
* Compatibility with Android Apps
* Playable emulators for Dreamcast and PSP (tho I wish for Saturn and DS too...)
* Ability to run NetBeans (or perhaps even Eclipse, which have full Android Dev support from google...)

One thing that I wished for is the ability to play multiplayer online with other pandora owners...
(perhaps with some kind of chat enabled via keyboard?)

Wow that's a pretty optimistic list of expectations.

Near-kun said:
* Playable emulators for Dreamcast and PSP (tho I wish for Saturn and DS too...)
* Ability to run NetBeans (or perhaps even Eclipse, which have full Android Dev support from google...)

One thing that I wished for is the ability to play multiplayer online with other pandora owners...
prepare to be dissapointed

Lots of programs (and emulators) aren't well optimized because every computer has different hardware setups.
With Pandora, this is not the case... Everyone will have exactly the same components inside the device.
This "standard" allows developers to actually make things run a little better.
(Being the last resort in this case ARM assembly coding for some high optimizing)

So, yeah, obviously none of the things I expect from Pandora, I expect to have from day 1.
But for me is quite clear that Pandora have power enough to do it all.

PoisonedV said:
Near-kun said:

prepare to be dissapointed
Optomistic as always.

Tokiopop said:
Lunatic said:
Tokiopop said:

No, Baldurs Gate 2! I installed Windows on my Mac just so I could play that game.

GemRB works pretty well these days and has already been ported to ARM and OpenGLES so you'll get to play all the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment games natively.

Enverex said:
Tokiopop said:
Lunatic said:
Tokiopop said:

GemRB works pretty well these days and has already been ported to ARM and OpenGLES so you'll get to play all the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment games natively.
Excuse me whilst I change my underwear :p

Do they work pretty well? Are there any videos of them working?

Mr.Confuzed said:
Good luck getting a decent laptop with a 100 hour battery.
Good luck getting 100 hours of battery life on a Pandora while recording, playing audio, running Firefox and emulating an N64.
The mythical 100 hours is just a guess at what might be possible while playing mp3's with the screen off, processor clocked right down and a specially developed codec running on the DSP.

Lozrus said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
Good luck getting 100 hours of battery life on a Pandora while recording, playing audio, running Firefox and emulating an N64.
The mythical 100 hours is just a guess at what might be possible while playing mp3's with the screen off, processor clocked right down and a specially developed codec running on the DSP.
It's advertised at 10 hours, not 100 :p

Lozrus said:
Mr.Confuzed said:
You know, I just knew somebody would say something like that. Maybe not a page later... I'm wondering how long it would last on a regular laptop battery though.

Pleng said:
Mia said:

Ahh now there's an idea.

Daytona should hopefully be covered by Dreamcast emulation but Sega Rally is proving a real sticking point. If the PSP version is anything like the X Box 360 then there's no real hope there.

I have no idea about Model 2 emulation really. IS it likely to happen on Pandora? And would it be easier or more difficult than, for example, Saturn emulation? Is there an OS Model 2 emulator out there?

Is Model 2 backwards compatible with Model 1? Would Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter work, for example?
Last time I checked (about 5 years ago), there was no possible way to play Sega Rally (arcade version) on a PC.
Can't remember the reason why nobody had it working; something to do with the fact that most of the games from the model 2 came on CD/DVD, and there was no dump available for working with or something?

Hopefully this has changed because the joysticks on Pandora would make the rallying really really fun; and all the home console versions of the game suck :(

Tokiopop said:
Enverex said:
Tokiopop said:
Lunatic said:
Tokiopop said:

Excuse me whilst I change my underwear :p

Do they work pretty well? Are there any videos of them working?

GemRB

Screenshots

Back