Which Pyra model do you plan to get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? (Poll)

Do you plan to get the 3G model or WiFi only model?

• 3G model

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • WiFi model (no 3G/4G)

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Stick to WiFi unless a 4G model is announced

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Wait for a possible 4G model

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Wait for possible Pyra upgrades

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • No Pyra for me

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

I have not tried that, but wouldn't phone's battery get drained real quick that way?
BT is no wifi. BT actually drain few power compared to wifi.
(btw does the phone drain the pandora's battery while connected on USB ?)
Yes, it actually charges a bit while using Pandora is using it for 3G Internet (Pandora's battery is drained instead, but it can take it ^_^ ).

Is it the Classic, Rebith, and 1Ghz?
Yes, one of each. I bought the classic off of ebay shortly after they started shipping because mine was still "two months" away: I figured I'd just turn around and sell mine as soon as it arrived, so it was a wash.After a couple years I accidentally dropped my classic and it was never quite the same. It still worked but it was questionable, the R-trigger was completely broken beyond repair, I'm pretty sure something in the PCB was cracked, so I bought a Rebirth which had just started coming out.

By this time the 1Ghz were starting to ship. I got an email from Craig saying I could continue waiting, possibly forever, or I could pay the upgrade cost for a 1Ghz: after sitting on the idea for a while I agreed.

I want the 3G because I want my Pyra to be as independent as possible, but considering that 4G use less power beside the fast connection I can't miss the 4G.

Is anyone know how much about will be the 4G module?

BTW I added a new choice to the poll. Feel free to change your vote at anytime.
It seems there are some who want 4G if it is available, otherwise 3G.  This is not reflected in the poll options.  I do not want more options, just a way to make the data collected more useful to ED.

Is anyone know how much about will be the 4G module?
There's no guarantee the 4G will ever exist, but if it does the 4G chip is 50EUR more than the 3G chip so I would expect the Pyra's price to reflect this.

50€ more than 3G is a lot, and how much is a 3G module? I wonder if I should buy a Pyra without 3G and wait for the 4G module or buy the 3G until the 4G module is out

I could also chose a 4G module by myself but it would be complicated.

The modules are BGA, soldered to the PCB. You can't just choose any, it has to be pin compatible, and soldering is not something most people can do at home.

The PHS8 is 55EUR and the PLS8 is 97EUR. That's actually down a bit, it used to be 60 vs 110 if I recall correctly.

Note that those are individual prices from a single source, EvilDragon can probably get them a few EUR cheaper by purchasing in hundreds.

Thanks. So it is soldered, I thought ED said that there would be no need to solder, pretty annoying. In that case I should wait for a 4G model, or at least buy the no 3G version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, one of each. I bought the classic off of ebay shortly after they started shipping because mine was still "two months" away: I figured I'd just turn around and sell mine as soon as it arrived, so it was a wash. After a couple years I accidentally dropped my classic and it was never quite the same. It still worked but it was questionable, the R-trigger was completely broken beyond repair, I'm pretty sure something in the PCB was cracked, so I bought a Rebirth which had just started coming out. By this time the 1Ghz were starting to ship. I got an email from Craig saying I could continue waiting, possibly forever, or I could pay the upgrade cost for a 1Ghz: after sitting on the idea for a while I agreed.
Must be nice. So you dropped your original? I have dropped my 1 Ghz, do you think a drop can affect the performance or would it have to be a pretty significant drop? I am happy with the performance of mine but do you think me dropping mine a couple of times could had affected its true potential it in a bad way?

50€ more than 3G is a lot, and how much is a 3G module? I wonder if I should buy a Pyra without 3G and wait for the 4G module or buy the 3G until the 4G module is out I could also chose a 4G module by myself but it would be complicated.
Sounds like a tough choice, considered the fact that there may not be a 4G model, but if you ask me, I think the chances of a 4G model are pretty likely. I would wait, but I can't, I'm too excited. Maybe it will be possible to upgrade it...imagine being able to have both 3G and 4G at the same time on the same model! haha how interesting and pointless that would be. I guess if the 4G goes out you have 3G :p ha...nevermind!

Wifi model as I will always need a professional phone I can use as a modem.

Do you guys think that price will play a big factor on a person's decision? Most likely. Maybe it will cause some people to change their minds about the 3G model. I didn't think about that.

I thought ED said that there would be no need to solder
Do you remember the context for that? He may have been talking about something else or has a different plan in mind. The PHS8 does also come in a plug card format, if you remember him talking about no need to solder he may be planning to use the plug card and I just missed it, but at 50x34mm it is quite a bit larger than a soldered solution.
Must be nice
I have very little else to spend my money on.
I have dropped my 1 Ghz, do you think a drop can affect the performance or would it have to be a pretty significant drop?
It was a significant drop onto concrete. I've also dropped my 1Ghz on more than one occasion and had no problems with it after. We both need to start being more careful with our expensive toys. :p

It was a significant drop onto concrete. I've also dropped my 1Ghz on more than one occasion and had no problems with it after. We both need to start being more careful with our expensive toys. :p
Yeah I know. I don't drop my phone or 3Ds but I sure put my poor Pandora through abuse. Well I was planning on selling my Pandora once the Pyra is out but I don't think I will be doing that anymore. Well my brother also plans to get a Pyra so there will be two Pyras in the family hehe so I am at a head start, but I am sure you will catch up to us in time. I am actually saving up for a Pyra right now. By the time the Pyra comes out I should have the extra funds needed to pick up one.

Will it be worth keeping a Pandora after owning a Pyra? Maybe I can give away my Pandora instead of selling it.

I thought ED said that there would be no need to solder
Do you remember the context for that? He may have been talking about something else or has a different plan in mind. The PHS8 does also come in a plug card format, if you remember him talking about no need to solder he may be planning to use the plug card and I just missed it, but at 50x34mm it is quite a bit larger than a soldered solution.
In my remembrances someone asked him if we will need soldering for changing the 3G module and he said that it is a module so no need for soldering. Come to think, yes a module is removable and ED always talked about it with the terms "module", not "chip". So he likely will use the card format unless he changed his mind.

EvilDragon could you enlighten us?

In my remembrances someone asked him if we will need soldering for changing the 3G module and he said that it is a module so no need for soldering. Come to think, yes a module is removable and ED always talked about it with the terms "module", not "chip". So he likely will use the card format unless he changed his mind. EvilDragon could you enlighten us?
I remember that too! Sorry I should had said something earlier but yeah I remember that. But I also remember the reason why there isn't a 4G is because the size of the antenna, which was mentioned again earlier on this topic.

3G/4G only makes sense if:

- you don't have a mobile phone that can do tethering

- you expect to use your Pyra as your primary mobile device (which is the case if you don't have a phone, I guess)

- you have no access to wifi networks where you go

- you need to be connected 100% of the time.

There's definitely some potential users that meet these criteria, but that's going to be a minority, I think. 
i don't have a phone, the Pyra would be my primary mobile device, i wouldn't have access to many wifi networks - all these are true for me. i don't need to be connected 100% of the time, but the times i need to be are the times when there tends to be no freely-available wifi around. so yeah, 3G makes sense for my use case.

i don't have a phone, the Pyra would be my primary mobile device, i wouldn't have access to many wifi networks - all these are true for me. i don't need to be connected 100% of the time, but the times i need to be are the times when there tends to be no freely-available wifi around. so yeah, 3G makes sense for my use case.
Join the 3G club! :) I hopefully like Kiga said maybe we will be able to plug in a 4G when it is available. Maybe, just maybe :)

Join the 3G club! :) I hopefully like Kiga said maybe we will be able to plug in a 4G when it is available. Maybe, just maybe :)
I think it's more likely it will be a mainboard swap like with the Pandora upgrades now. The old mainboards would be sold for a lower price.

But I also remember the reason why there isn't a 4G is because the size of the antenna, which was mentioned again earlier on this topic.
I thought space has deliberately been left on the board for the larger antenna?

The problem was cost.

Back