Which Snes Emualtor Is The Best To Get.....

Cool thax gaterooz but how do i go about setting up a script thax....

First, you need to download the CPU Tweaking program here: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1000

Copy the file cpu_speed.gpe from that archive, onto the root of your SD card, then rename it cpu_speed (no extension).

Then make a text file with Unix line endings (VERY important), not DOS endings. I use Editpad, but Programmer's Notepad and other utils will do it.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 275 1.4
cd /mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES_v0.37a/
./squidgesnesa.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Can you tell me the specific reason to rename from cpu_speed.gpe to cpu_speed? If I just leave it as cpu_speed.gpe, I just have to make sure that I use in my text script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 275 1.4

right?

This way, I can still run cpu_speed.gpe from the utilities menu, right?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone listen. Get the latest squidgesnes (Currently the one with the MMU Hack). Go to settings.

Turn on: Fps Counter, Fast Sprites, Snes Action Buttons

Turn off: Full screen scaling, Fps Limiter, Transhack, Vsync, Ausdio Processor

Set: Framskip 3

That setup gets me 60 fps in most games 30 in all other and 15 in some rare cases. :D

Cool thax gaterooz but how do i go about setting up a script thax....

First, you need to download the CPU Tweaking program here: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1000

Copy the file cpu_speed.gpe from that archive, onto the root of your SD card, then rename it cpu_speed (no extension).

Then make a text file with Unix line endings (VERY important), not DOS endings. I use Editpad, but Programmer's Notepad and other utils will do it.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 275 1.4
cd /mnt/sd/Emulators/SquidgeSNES_v0.37a/
./squidgesnesa.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Can you tell me the specific reason to rename from cpu_speed.gpe to cpu_speed? If I just leave it as cpu_speed.gpe, I just have to make sure that I use in my text script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 275 1.4

right?

This way, I can still run cpu_speed.gpe from the utilities menu, right?

Thanks

Almost it means you can still run it in the games menu the extension .gpe only shows up in games where .gpu only shows up in utilities.
Not having an extension "hides" the program from both menus but is still accesible because linux doesn't care as much about extensions as some other OSes do. :)

Everyone listen. Get the latest squidgesnes (Currently the one with the MMU Hack). Go to settings.

That setup gets me 60 fps in most games 30 in all other and 15 in some rare cases. :D

with or without OC?

...but there is no sound...

ya, what's the point of an emulated game without the sound?

I am trying to get FF3 to go at full speed or near, it used to be fine oc'ed to 266 but then I went and upgraded my firmware to 2.0 and that hooped that.

(scripting method above not withstanding, I will try that now, but I digress)

I looked forward to the MMU hacked version but personally I found NO speed increase, and infact gameplay is now 'jerky' and out of sync where it was smooth if not exactly speedy at frameskip 4 @ 200mhz default speed. Ima going back to 37. :)

Anyone else experienced the same, or has the MMU hack version improved things for you?

What is the point of those settings? Sound off? Frameskip 3? Of course you'd get 60 FPS. Choppy and no sound, just the way I like it! Hah...

zektor posted on Jul 3 2006 at 12:21 PM said:
What is the point of those settings? Sound off? Frameskip 3? Of course you'd get 60 FPS. Choppy and no sound, just the way I like it! Hah...
With the last version the frameskip setting is ignored because autoframeskip is always on.
Putting framskip to 0 2 3 or whatever don't change anything.

Also, with 0.37a and 0.37mmu, you have to turn off vsync and fps limiter because there incompatible with autoframeskip and make the emulation very choppy.

I'll try to post a better integrated version tonight.

pepone posted on Jul 3 2006 at 01:29 PM said:
With the last version the frameskip setting is ignored because autoframeskip is always on.

Also, with 0.37a and 0.37mmu, you have to turn off vsync and fps limiter because there incompatible with autoframeskip and make the emulation very choppy.

Thank you Pepone, I´ll be waiting that version.
;)

Super Mario World runs great even at default speed, so no suprise. ;)

Pepone, that's awesome news!

Thank you for your efforts, and cant wait to try the new one.

yea super mario world is fullspeed with sound and fs0 at 275mhz for me! great! this will keep me playing for the next week ;)

I think I am beginning to realize that SNES emulation on the GP2X just isn't going to ever be that good. We have have hacks of hacks of hacks here with patches of patches. The framerates are lousy, it requires insane overclock, there will never be transparencies and the sound is horrid. It is almost like why bother. SNES is much better on almost every other handheld out there including the Zodiac, Giz, Pocket PC, Palm, and PSP. For some reason the GP2X just doesn't seem good enough for decent SNES emulation.

Vollgasasi posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
yea super mario world is fullspeed with sound and fs0 at 275mhz for me! great! this will keep me playing for the next week ;)

Changing the frameskip won't affect anything in versions 0.37a and 0.37mmu. And SMW runs very good with sound at 200mhz, overclock to 220 and it's already perfect :)

Edit: @DaveC: It maybe possible if there will be a dev that isn't scared by spending weeks and weeks on coding boring things like dynarec or other tricks. And even then it may not be fullspeed. But if there will be two or three fantastic devs that really are into coding snes emulators, it will be possible. We've got so many high quality devs here, but it seems like no one here is really serious about snes emulation. And also, the gp2x is a pretty new device, and things like squidge's mmu hack show us that there is some potential left in it.

Or another idea would be a programm that takes a snes-rom file, and converts it to a .gpe file with using sdl etc. That would be nearly impossible, boring to code and it will also need a LOT of free time.

DaveN posted on Jul 3 2006 at 12:03 PM said:
Vollgasasi posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:40 PM said:

Changing the frameskip won't affect anything in versions 0.37a and 0.37mmu. And SMW runs very good with sound at 200mhz, overclock to 220 and it's already perfect :)

Edit: @DaveC: It maybe possible if there will be a dev that isn't scared by spending weeks and weeks on coding boring things like dynarec or other tricks. And even then it may not be fullspeed. But if there will be two or three fantastic devs that really are into coding snes emulators, it will be possible. We've got so many high quality devs here, but it seems like no one here is really serious about snes emulation. And also, the gp2x is a pretty new device, and things like squidge's mmu hack show us that there is some potential left in it.

Or another idea would be a programm that takes a snes-rom file, and converts it to a .gpe file with using sdl etc. That would be nearly impossible, boring to code and it will also need a LOT of free time.

There should be a bounty set up. ;)

pepone posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:29 AM said:

My thoughts exactly. With all these people leaving vsync and frame limiter on, no wonder there is a lot of lag. I personally dont mind not having sound. I just posted my configurtaion as it provides the fastest setup.

Btw with that setup I get a clean 30fps in SMW with NO overclock.

I don't think I've ever seen DaveC say anything positive about anything. It's always bitch bitch bitch. Like when GPFce came out, you didn't even say thanks, you just listed things you want to see implemented, pronto. How about being grateful for what you're being given for free?

I honestly don't think the SNES emulation is as bad as you say, and after all it's an open platform. If you don't like what current developers are doing, you can always try and get some new coders interested. Or just get a PSP instead and quit complaining.

i'm playing with version 0.37 at the moment (no a and no mmu hack becuase every game i try works at fs for me with sound and no glitches - granted at 275mhz)

davec: i'm beginning to think that you're really an idiot. in the end it will all come together and will be a full package. the systems you mentioned are around for a longer period so it's just normal that the emulation is better there - not to mention the giz and the psp have powerful video processors.

and why the fuck do you keep repeating that we will never ever see transparencies in the snes emu? it's just a question of speed and when we have full speed emulation the devs will implement those features as well. we are at the beginning at a roughly 4-5 years timespan of this machine!

stop bitching, your a guru dammit.

DaveC posted on Jul 3 2006 at 11:58 AM said:
I think I am beginning to realize that SNES emulation on the GP2X just isn't going to ever be that good. We have have hacks of hacks of hacks here with patches of patches. The framerates are lousy, it requires insane overclock, there will never be transparencies and the sound is horrid. It is almost like why bother. SNES is much better on almost every other handheld out there including the Zodiac, Giz, Pocket PC, Palm, and PSP. For some reason the GP2X just doesn't seem good enough for decent SNES emulation.

This is definitely over-pessimistic. How long has SquidgeSNES been OUT? Not that long, when you consider it. Now, consider the strides that have been made thus far. Performance used to be horrific, now it's very, very good with the exception of transparencies. What do you mean 'lousy framerates'? I was just playing Megaman X, a game that stresses the fuck out of the REAL SNES (It lags CONSTANTLY on it) and it maintains a solid 60 FPS for almost the entire game, and when it dips, it only dips into the high 40's FPS-wise. Most other games I play never drop below ~30 FPS with a decent overclock. I generally use 300 Mhz, which isn't far off from 266-- not really an 'insane' overclock. Transparencies, who knows, might be something that can be passed along to the 940T or part of the video decoding/processing hardware-- the MMU hack's benefits are not all just direct performance gains but actually unlock additional functionality to the unit via improved intercomponent communication. Audio? PCM sounds fine; and that's what most SNES audio is. The FM audio which is in the minority sounds bad and needs to be reworked, but consider also that FM sounded like shit on the real SNES too. Kind of like how the MegaDrive/Genesis' PCM was usually bad but its FM was top-notch.

I see great things coming from SNES emulation in the future, but an attitude like yours will get nothing done. And I'm sure you've never touched the SquidgeSNES source-- much less done any programming as far as I can tell-- to make such assertions about the impossibility of every facet of SNES emulation.

DaveN posted on Jul 3 2006 at 12:03 PM said:

Pretty much completely impossible. It'd be nightmare even with source code; these are compiled binaries. You can't convert them to use C and a library like SDL when they were already 65c816 ASM and custom calls to properitary hardware. You'd need to rewrite most of it, from source, and recompile.

Back