Why A Thumb Stick On The Gp2x Instead Of Dpad?

geniv

but why a thumb stick on the gp2x?

it's digital, wouldn't a dpad be better? I personally dont' like digital thumbsticks.

dpad seems much more faster and responsive than a stick.

also it would allow the unit to be thinner as it don't have anything that is sticking up

geniv said:
but why a thumb stick on the gp2x?

it's digital, wouldn't a dpad be better? I personally dont' like digital thumbsticks.

dpad seems much more faster and responsive than a stick.

also it would allow the unit to be thinner as it don't have anything that is sticking up

Haven't used the GP2X yet, but the GP32's thumbstick is BY FAR the best handheld control I've ever used (far, far better than PSP or even GBA). And the GP2X one sounds like it'll be even better for me.

I guess it comes down to personal taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's digital, not analog. it clicks down whenever you change direction. analog sticks have axes which tell the pc, or whatever, how farleft or right you have the stick moved left or right for example, and digital buttons click a little hidden mini-button down. it's hard to explain, but when you play one, you'll better grasp what i'm trying to say.

:)

edit: watch a video from the archives link in my sig... you'll hear a clicking sound...

Personally I have aways liked thumb sticks instead of D pads. Feels like you have more control.

A D pad would have better suited my uses... physically. I'll be sticking it in my pocket a lot, and I'll be watching out not to hurt that thumb stick

I believe (not that this would really stop them) but Nintendo has a patent on the d-pad. This means they would have to use something more like Sony's four uncomfortable disconnected buttons if they wanted to stay legal.

wasn't there a dpad on the dreamcast controller though? and i guess that with a dpad the gp2x couldnt have had that xbox type click button in the middle.

I believe (not that this would really stop them) but Nintendo has a patent on the d-pad. This means they would have to use something more like Sony's four uncomfortable disconnected buttons if they wanted to stay legal.
They patented the cross-shaped pad.

it's digital, not analog. it clicks down whenever you change direction. analog sticks have axes which tell the pc, or whatever, how farleft or right you have the stick moved left or right for example, and digital buttons click a little hidden mini-button down. it's hard to explain, but when you play one, you'll better grasp what i'm trying to say.

Yes? The original post states as much...

The D-Pad is the most overrated gaming technology of all time. People think they need it for so many types of games. But anyone who owns a ngpc can assure you that a well made thumb stick is really the way to go. It rules for fighting games, and is just as effective for all other types. It also doesn't hurt to use after extended gaming periods.

Have you tried the new xbox360's dpad/thumb stick. IT ROCKS!

Besidest the fact it being on the lower part of the controller it is perfect, really really greeat.

A D pad would have better suited my uses... physically. I'll be sticking it in my pocket a lot, and I'll be watching out not to hurt that thumb stick

that is my main reason too.

IMHO the sony psx/ps2 dpad is good I like it. wish the gp2x have same thing

yeah. I think if the thumb stick was sunk in a little bit more it would suit my needs a little bit better.. But oh well, I'm still getting my GP2X soon. Still can't wait.

I've sent mine back because of the joystick, it's awfull. Try burger time on frodo, press up, you go left, press down, you go right, that kind of thing, and as for your thumb not hurting after extended gaming periods, you have to push this thing so far for it to make a connection, you're pissed off after 2 minutes. It's such a shame because the system is brilliant bar the controls. If gph released a revised system without the joystick, I'd definatly fork out.

wow, it's not that bad is it? isn't it like the ngpc's thumbstick?

I personally loved the gp32s dstick. I can't see why they would make it any different other than the controller. I like that much beter than the PSPs nub, even tho the nub might suit 3d games beter.

look at the bright side! Atleast Ryu's hadoken in SF2 will be much more managable with a stick as opposed to a D-pad

clippa said:
I've sent mine back because of the joystick, it's awfull. Try burger time on frodo, press up, you go left, press down, you go right, that kind of thing

You acted too soon. Snaff released a new version of Frodo which fixes exactly the control problem you had -- it's a software problem, not a hardware one.

the stick IMO is rubbish compared to the gp32's and almost any other i've used. It's far to short, too stiff and feels very very cheap indeed. The only thing worse than the stick is the four spongy, overly small action buttons.

clippa said:
I've sent mine back because of the joystick, it's awfull. Try burger time on frodo, press up, you go left, press down, you go right, that kind of thing

You acted too soon. Snaff released a new version of Frodo which fixes exactly the control problem you had -- it's a software problem, not a hardware one.
Hah.

Back