Why A Thumb Stick On The Gp2x Instead Of Dpad?

Personally I'm still getting used to the GP2X, I think I prefer the GP32 one, but I think it'll be better after a little playing :) and sticks are great for fighting games with quarter and semi circle combo's and stuff!

I don't see what's so funny. The stick is naff, you can't fix everything through software, try hexen, you press left and you're going left and forward or left and back, you have to push far too much and invariably your thumb slips off, it's fine for a pmp, but not for playing games that rely on quick reflexes. It's the only bad thing about the system, but without good controls, nothing else counts.

I don't see what's so funny. The stick is naff, you can't fix everything through software, try hexen, you press left and you're going left and forward or left and back, you have to push far too much and invariably your thumb slips off, it's fine for a pmp, but not for playing games that rely on quick reflexes. It's the only bad thing about the system, but without good controls, nothing else counts.
Your views on the 'problem' with the 2x's stick are actually quite hilarious. Those directional problems you're having with the stick are simply due to the way you're holding the device.
thumb2yl.png

As you can see, that's one of your problems with the stick immediately solved. You just have to get used to it; it's not that hard and certainly doesn't warrant sending the device back.

I play hexen all the time. Love it. It's great. Especially moving forward in a straight line. Very easy B) And I don't know what kind of greasy mitts you've got, but my thumb never slips off (though concave might've been better).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh if thats what a digital stick is its worse then I thought.
It is really strange how GPH listened to feedback on the GP32 for so many things but not one of the main complaints- a naffy control stick instead of a dpad.
I wonder if Koreans have a thing for control sticks...

I see your point iignotus, but putting it down to bad ergonomics still doesn't convince me that it's particularly "hillarious". I put it to you, the defendant :) that maybe there isn't enough of a gap between the left and up-left connections? It might be down to software, but you have to understand that I'm using these things as examples, the hardware is poor. Have you tried playing mario on the snes emu? Holding the stick right constantly, it eventually gets away from your thumb. There's no getting away from the fact that the connections are very far from the centre. Considering this unit will mainly emulate these kind of systems, which use 8 directions max, a d-pad would have been much more preferable. I haven't got greasy mitts :) let's keep this civil, like I said, I think the gp2x is great, ruddy great, everything I want, but it's let down by its controls, and for an interactive device, I find the controls to be key :) Now, I enjoy a joke as much as the next man (ruffles tutu), but I don't see the humour in laughing at me expressing my dissatisfaction with the gp2x, trust me, I've tried, it strikes me as mere bullying, especially when your cronies join in to lol and point. I've got my money back by the way, if you're thinking hmmm, I'm just interested in the dynamics at work here, and very interested to see if the community comunicates with the company that provides them, you might think that sticking your head in the sand and being thankfull for what you've got is helpfull but it's far more helpfull to express your discontent, tell them where they're going right, what they need to change to make it better. I'm sure any company worth their salt would be willing to satisfy their customers, or at least make a lot more quick bucks if their hearts aren't in it and they aren't striving for perfection. I mean, I'll be reccomending this unit to no one, right now. I'm on incapacity benefit at the minute, so 170 quid means a lot to me, I set aside the odd quid now and again for entertainment and it took me a lot of time to save up for the gp2x. I eat rice every day and my malnutritioned niece is in a coma due to severe malnutritionessnessness. It might not seem like a lot of money to you, if I was loaded, I would have kept it but to point and laugh at me, I'm just making a point here :) Makes you look bad though doesn't it? Come on, pour your eyebrowed guilt into my outstretched flat cap.
I think it's a very masculine and immature trait, defending to the death whatever you've channeled your obsessive nature into, I mean, you've paid your money, you'd look silly if you backed out now, right? Your cronies would laugh and point at you for starters :) I believe they call them fanb0yz (dusts off pocket watch), oh yes, I can give as good as I get laddy, It might be down to taste, but my better judgement tells me that you're kidding yourself, I did, for a day at least. Bring on davec, the voice of reason :)
I agree the buttons are too close together and etc but the joystick was the only deal breaker for me.

p.s. Thanks so much to gbax, a small company that looks out for the small man, try taking something back to dixons, they piss in your mouth, these folks even repay your postage and are friendly with it! They make you feel guilty for all the right reasons. It gets you right there. Just wait until he's got branches all over the uk, you'll have to stand in queues for weeks to be told that the item on the shelf doesn't actually exist.

Back