Why Do Some Roms Work On Other Platforms?

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I have a NICE block of roms for Megadrive/Genesis and NES.
They all work (and have worked for sometime) on MacOSX emulators like GenesisPlus and Nestopia (respectively).

Why when I run them on fishynes and DrMD (respsectivley) only a handful work?

I realize the emulators are different and the platforms are obviously leagues apart ... is that the reason? GP2X roms are a little more fussy?

And can DrMD run 32x genesis roms yet?

Compatability. Some roms don't work.

I realize the emulators are different and the platforms are obviously leagues apart ... is that the reason? GP2X roms are a little more fussy?
See above.

And can DrMD run 32x genesis roms yet?
No.

Becoming compatible with more ROMs means more code and/or slower code.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 12 2006 at 11:12 PM said:
Compatability. Some roms don't work.

See above.

thx for the answers!
So higher end machines with, thus, argueably higher end emulators have a greater range of compatibility.
cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
what games aren't playing for you? DrMD runs pretty much everything I throw at it with the rare exception. With his latest version it seems there are some that worked in his previous version that now won't load (Barny is one I've found).

Also, I had problems with fishynes running some games I knew worked as well...so I downloaded fceultra version for gp2x and the games that didn't work on fishynes (i.e. 10 yard fight) worked perfect on fceultra...so now I used that as my nes emulator instead.

skitchen has never worked for me unfortunatly, but at least road rash does so I'm happy :) I'm sure Reesy will be kind and give us more compatibility. But MD is so functional I don't mind that a couple games don't work.

Yeah, my skitchin' rom doesn't work either. I've never bothered to look for a different dump, so there may be one out there that works.

LordFu posted on Jul 13 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
Yeah, my skitchin' rom doesn't work either. I've never bothered to look for a different dump, so there may be one out there that works.

Yup, I just checked and skitchin' doesnt work for me either. I would think its not compatable at present as I have a verified GoodRom of this game for JUE. Hopefully this will save you some searching. :)

ive had only two roms not work for DrMD:- desert strike plays until action then stops updating grphics but continues to play sound (although i think this is a bad dump as jungle strike and urban strike both work!), and streets of rage 2 a JUE dump, ive now got a dump that works tho!

try different dumps

=)

Like ^RaZ said, try different dumps. Some work better on some emulators. I've found [h1] roms often run on DrMD when [!] won't.

gaterooze posted on Jul 13 2006 at 05:41 PM said:
Like ^RaZ said, try different dumps. Some work better on some emulators. I've found [h1] roms often run on DrMD when [!] won't.

Yeah...roms a get from a different source always work, no questions asked...but the HUGE batch from another source always suck.

What do those [JUE] or [!] or [h] mean?

And the only rom that I've yet to get to work properly is Forgotten Worlds (note: it's not out of lack of trying, but I just don't like the game enough to pull out my hair to find a working dump)..Haven't tried skitchen, but I'll see what I find.

Back