Why Hard Drives From Amazon Have Such A High Doa Rate:

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site

Last edited by a moderator:
I once received a hard drive from play that was just floating around a massive box, unprotected. :S

Best bet is to buy direct from the HDD companies. They know how to protect their shit. I bought a Caviar drive from Seagate on eBay and the thing was surrounded by 5 inch thick sponge on each side.

While walking in the desert, you encounter a tortoise.
The tortoise is flipped over on its back.
It cannot get up on its own.

You take a video of it struggling to flip over, and publish it on the Internet.

Nova said:
Best bet is to buy direct from the HDD companies. They know how to protect their shit. I bought a Caviar drive from Seagate on eBay and the thing was surrounded by 5 inch thick sponge on each side.
You bought a what, from WHO? Caviar, Western Digital brand. Seagate sold you this...? And on Ebay? As far as i know, (which of course might be wrong) Seagate doesn't have a Ebay outlet.
The box you speak of, sounds a lot like the refurbished reshipping boxes from most manufacturers tho. And i agree, it's pretty darn good.

On the topic of the box video here. I have no idea how, but it seams fairly obvious that the video is staged. The box has no way to start flipping over, on its own. It's first when the junk inside has momentum in a different direction then the conveyor it can start jumping about like this. But never mind. A harddrive that is subjected to this, simply doesn't care, if packed right. The generally speaking it take (at least) 50+ G's to make the harddrive care while powered down. Current harddrives actually reside in the neighborhoods of a couple of 100G's, so a box flipping over like this with your harddrive in it... It's more about your package possibly being late, then broken due to this.
And, of course. A drive not packed right gets it's exterior physically damaged, and may very well break for reasons as pierced or buckling chassis, broken circuit-boards and alike.
B!

Mr B said:
Nova said:
You bought a what, from WHO? Caviar, Western Digital brand. Seagate sold you this...? And on Ebay? As far as i know, (which of course might be wrong) Seagate doesn't have a Ebay outlet.
The box you speak of, sounds a lot like the refurbished reshipping boxes from most manufacturers tho. And i agree, it's pretty darn good.

Yeah, you're probably right, it's a WD. I haven't used it in a while. And yeah I think it was refurbed.

"This video has been removed by the user"
Description? What's the joke?

Try this if you can stand the sound :p Or mute.

Here's a re-upload-

edit:ninja'd, kind of

WizardStan said:
"This video has been removed by the user"
Description? What's the joke?
In case this thread is ever read in the distant future (like maybe 2 years) when both those videos are dead:
It's a box rolling down an upward-moving conveyor belt for about 3 minutes.

My joke was a reference to a scene from Blade Runner. The camera person is a soulless robot because (in the fiction of the video) they have the time to capture video of the poor box, but not to just help it up the conveyor belt. In reality, it was pretty clearly staged. There's something inside shifting around, otherwise it should have flipped once and then stopped.

Maybe it's got a bumble ball inside.

bubbleball78.jpg

Back