Why Isn't Mweston A Guru Yet?

Yea, I'm just not sure the Guru status is meant for anyone who's done awesome things. I think the Guru status is meant for people who are a guru of this forum specifically.

That'd be my definition, but I'm waiting to hear the official word on this. :)

I always thought guru status on this forum was based on how long you have been here and how often you post. I don't even have 300 posts yet...small potatoes around these forums ;)

Even though I started following this hand held market all the way back when the GP32 first came out, I never did buy one and I only registered on this site in 2006 after lurking around for a year or so from when people started making their pre-orders for the GP2X. :)

MWeston said:
I always thought guru status on this forum was based on how long you have been here and how often you post. I don't even have 300 posts yet...small potatoes around these forums ;)

Even though I started following this hand held market all the way back when the GP32 first came out, I never did buy one and I only registered on this site in 2006 after lurking around for a year or so from when people started making their pre-orders for the GP2X. :)
I joined during the GP2X era, and it seems most of the Guru status's had been assigned back in GP32 days.
A few were given in recent past, but they were assigned in a chaotic fashion. One person suggests it and if some other mod's agree then it happens. One that comes to mind was zodtdd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
One that comes to mind was zodtdd.
Zodttd deserves it for sure though. That guy did some amazing things to show exactly what can be done with the GP2X. I can't wait to see what he does with OMAP hardware soon!

MWeston said:
Pickle said:
Zodttd deserves it for sure though. That guy did some amazing things to show exactly what can be done with the GP2X. I can't wait to see what he does with OMAP hardware soon!

You saw Tinnus post with some screenshots? Its looking good.

Certainly some of the guru status hand outs have been a bit... strange in choice. A couple were assigned for porting an emulator that was in high-demand.
Zodttd did earn his guru status though. He is very informative and tries to answer users questions, not necessarily relating specifically to his own projects... I think that is what a guru is supposed to be.

I also think MWeston fulfills this definition too.

Jarska333 said:
Hold on, he's an actual creator. Does that not make him something beyond a mere guru?
Not to mention, I was under the impression that the Guru title was awarded to people who had done a lot for the community in the way of software. Not that I don't think that MWeston doesn't deserve some title for being a hardware contributor, I just think he deserves a new title. ;)

-God Ginrai

Yeah I've been around back in the GP32 days and I've seen some amazing people on here that more than deserves the Guru status. Many of them moved on, however, but we should go ahead and give the Psx4all team and MWeston guru status.

New people may not fully know the reasoning behind the guru status, but they know if someone with it replies to there post, that guy knows what he is talking about (in most cases atleast).

I remember a while back they were toying with the idea of a developer logo separate from the guru ones. Seems like it would be good here.

MWeston is building the Pandora for us, what else do you need for a Guru Status? ;)

Maybe the first 100 Pandoras should be labeled as "GURU-EDITION" and go automaticly to all Gurus here, I'm sure they would be in best hands. :)

to those that feel like getting the first hundred...I wouldn't be against that. Just make sure Jaden gets one. lol.

Pickle said:
MWeston said:
Pickle said:

Zodttd deserves it for sure though. That guy did some amazing things to show exactly what can be done with the GP2X. I can't wait to see what he does with OMAP hardware soon! You saw Tinnus post with some screenshots? Its looking good.
But Tinnus is the one doing the GL ES 2.0 GPU programming :p Give him Guru status then :D

Or maybe wait for the other cool thing he will come up with a little after the Pandora release... :unsure:

Guru status has been and generally still is (but not limited to) awarded to members of the community that have contributed quite considerably towards the community, Either by helping other members with problems they are having with their GP32/GP2x/Pandora (how i acquired my Guru status) or Making a substantial impact on the community with some of the software they release (Squidge,Zodtdd, Notaz etc). Guru status can also be awarded to members who have provided some kind of service to the community, Such as Evildragon, DaveC etc.

Someone normally nominates a member, Usually by starting a topic, (Which starts the ball rolling), Other members post replies in agreement with the topic, Generally catching the eye of a passing mod, We (us mods) vote amongst ourselves, Which usually catches the eye of a passing Hando, Who then makes the final decision and does the dastardly deed.

Trooper

Yep I remember that's how some of them got their's; This certainly isn't the first "Why Isn't ______ A Guru Yet?" threads. Thanks for clearing it up trooper.

Pickle said:
x68000 said:
MWestons contribution certainly warrants guru status, more so than most of the other gurus combined when you consider the size of the task he has undertook.
Id be careful saying something like that there's more going on behind the scenes with people working on Pandora than is seen though the forums.

I'm not sure why you seem to think i should be so 'careful?'

I'm sure the gurus are all big enough boys to understand what i mean without detracting from what they have done for this community.

What is it with the bloody PC sensitive brigade!! Some people just need to grow a pair.

x68000 said:
Pickle said:
x68000 said:
MWestons contribution certainly warrants guru status, more so than most of the other gurus combined when you consider the size of the task he has undertook.
Id be careful saying something like that there's more going on behind the scenes with people working on Pandora than is seen though the forums.

I'm not sure why you seem to think i should be so 'careful?'

I'm sure the gurus are all big enough boys to understand what i mean without detracting from what they have done for this community.

What is it with the bloody PC sensitive brigade!! Some people just need to grow a pair.

Im not refering to other "Gurus" but other people that are doing monumental things for Pandora, you just dont know because they arnt as vocal as MWeston/Squidge. Your original statement sounds like you thing Mweston is the only person running the project.
Pandora has to run linux of some kind, Mweston isnt building it up. Pandora would kind of be worthless without any software to run it, dont you think?

I've been around the homebrew scene for a long time now and been around here since the gp32's early days so i can grasp the concept that this is not a 1 man operation!

I simply stated (and nothing more) that MWeston is doing a monumental job in designing the Pandora both internally and externally and that for me deserves extra special credit.

IMO you don't become a guru during an achievement but after and I haven't seen a Pandora yet.

b_o_b said:
IMO you don't become a guru during an achievement but after and I haven't seen a Pandora yet.
Yes! We want results, we want results! :D

Back