Wi-Fi Encrption?

[/quote]

may88 said:
Vlynndar said:
lulzfish said:
Of course it will, it will be an option in the Network Manager GUI or whatever brand of Network Manager we're using.
The Pandora would be a useless piece of crap if it couldn't use encrypted networks... which you may notice EVERY other similar device supports. Fuck, even the DS supports WPA IIRC. This is like asking if it supports USB mass storage.

Only the DSi. I've got one of the original ones, so our home network is still WEP.
Ow! Ik kom naar Nederlands op Maandag. Waar woont je? I could use some free internet.

BackAssward said:
WizardStan said:
Kloplop321 said:
That is why I use WEP and MAC address Auth on my network :p
Something in encryption is better than nothing in encryption, and then I have it so only our computers can connect.
Same works for me. WEP may not be the best, but my neighbours have open networks. I don't have to run faster than the lion, I just have to run faster than you. ;)
(the lion is a hacker, and "you" being my neighbour with the open network.)

I feel sad that you think you have to explain the lion allegory. Even sadder that you might be justified in thinking that... Mr. Zebra.

Vlynndar said:
may88 said:
Vlynndar said:
lulzfish said:
Of course it will, it will be an option in the Network Manager GUI or whatever brand of Network Manager we're using.
The Pandora would be a useless piece of crap if it couldn't use encrypted networks... which you may notice EVERY other similar device supports. Fuck, even the DS supports WPA IIRC. This is like asking if it supports USB mass storage.

Only the DSi. I've got one of the original ones, so our home network is still WEP.
Ow! Ik kom naar Nederlands op Maandag. Waar woont je? I could use some free internet.

Somewhere in the North. Have fun with 150KB/s :lol:

Lol it was just a simple question XD
calm down everyone.
I just asked as all linux distributions i've used i've had to reconfigure to support my wireless cards and WPA was a nightmare so i just wanted to know.

But anyway thank you for all the replys never had so many replies in such a short space of time on any forum EVAR!!!
XD

THANK YOU
I will be using this forum more often now and definetly contributing (the liitle i can )

toodles
XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
Something in encryption is better than nothing in encryption, and then I have it so only our computers can connect.

Hi
It is not recommended to use the WEP at all.
It can be cracked in the few minutes and the MAC address can also be spoofed very easily.

Always use WPA2 AES or better.
Dont use WPA2 TKIP it is also broken.

victorchr said:
[...] and the MAC address can also be spoofed very easily.[...]
I was just about to point that out, too. I have been trying around a few years ago and this was the first and easiest step to fool a WLAN router.

zhasha said:
Why is it then that I have not 1, but 2 network cards that even with XP SP3 does not support WPA without special utilities from my card manufacturer and my girlfriend has a third card. I'm baffled by this.

Because your cards are a heap of crap that were never designed to use WPA and so the manufacturer fudged it with firmware / software updates instead? I work as an IT manager for schools - we buy all sorts of old and new equipment, and every classroom runs WPA2 and I've never found a Windows-based card/laptop that didn't work out of the box with Windows (XP SP2 / SP3, by the way, because SP3 causes us other problems). Over three schools in the last three years, I've managed several hundred laptops, from 6+ years old to brand new, and a whole gamut of wireless dongles, PCI cards, PCMCIA cards, ExpressCards and never seen one that could connect to Wifi but couldn't do WPA / WPA2. Access points - sure, I have a few that can only do WEP. Wireless cards? You must have bought some real dodgy crap.

ledow said:
zhasha said:
Why is it then that I have not 1, but 2 network cards that even with XP SP3 does not support WPA without special utilities from my card manufacturer and my girlfriend has a third card. I'm baffled by this.

Because your cards are a heap of crap that were never designed to use WPA and so the manufacturer fudged it with firmware / software updates instead? I work as an IT manager for schools - we buy all sorts of old and new equipment, and every classroom runs WPA2 and I've never found a Windows-based card/laptop that didn't work out of the box with Windows (XP SP2 / SP3, by the way, because SP3 causes us other problems). Over three schools in the last three years, I've managed several hundred laptops, from 6+ years old to brand new, and a whole gamut of wireless dongles, PCI cards, PCMCIA cards, ExpressCards and never seen one that could connect to Wifi but couldn't do WPA / WPA2. Access points - sure, I have a few that can only do WEP. Wireless cards? You must have bought some real dodgy crap.
Oh they're total crap, except they're not; and one is an Intel card and the other a Broadcom. My girlfriends card was an ActionTec, which is in fact crap but still supports WPA under linux but not Windows. Also, to quote wikipedia:
TKIP could be implemented on pre-WPA wireless network interface cards that began shipping as far back as 1999 through firmware upgrades.

zhasha said:
Windows (XP and Vista at least) doesn't support WPA or anything newer. WEP is all you're getting out of it unless you have one of those drivers that doesn't suck and reinvented the wheel for Microsoft. So I guess it's natural for people to question this. Also, my iPAQ doesn't support WPA. Seriously, it's a business phone, what the hell? Then again, linux is pretty damn awesome when it comes to drivers.

Vista and Win7 do natively support WPA; I think XP does with one of the service packs, but to its credit.. XP basicly came out before WiFi got popular, and most peopel get drivers with their system/cards that do support WPA.

If your IPaq doesn't support WPA, you're on an ancient version of the OS; Win Mobile / Pocket PC / whatever-name-they-use-that-month, has had WEPA support for a long long time. Even crappy old Palm OS has WPA support.

PSP supports WPA. Not sure about the DS, its had lame support. Xbox 360 has WPA too.

Its hard ot get stuck on WEP; its very easy to get stuck on 802.11g though, since a lot of routers don't support g+n.

A lot of routers don't support WPA (esp WPA2), but any useful router can update the firmware and can support it; or get Tomato/etc, too.

jeff

Think about it: windows XP was released back in 2001, and has kept "near-perfect" driver-compatibility throughout its lifetime. This means that its driver-interfaces have been designed around the situation back in 2001. AFAIK, Work on WPA didn't even start back then. I can imagine implementing WPA in windows's wifi-stack would have meant breaking drivers, so they didn't...

Kloplop321 said:

WEP or WEP+MAC is nearly akin to 'no' security these days; but it does achieve the goal of discouraging neighbourhood kids and passers by.. but if someone wants in, piece of cake. WPA I think has been broken of late too, but not really blown-the-doors open yet. So if you're really paranoid about security, WEP+MAC is no good. (I don't mean this to criticise, you can do what you like and judge your risk etc.. but I just want to point it out, in case you're not aware of this.)

(MAC cloning is built into a lot of devices as standard feature, and sniffing MACs out of the air is pretty trivial. WEP at leastis some protection, but can be cracked in a few minutes by a scriptkiddie.)

jeff

skeezix said:
If your IPaq doesn't support WPA, you're on an ancient version of the OS; Win Mobile / Pocket PC / whatever-name-they-use-that-month, has had WEPA support for a long long time. Even crappy old Palm OS has WPA support.
I just discovered my iPAQ (albeit with a firmware upgrade despite it coming out in 2005), does support WPA/TKIP, just not WPA/AES (which is actually a WPA2 standard and thus cannot be expected). I'm willing to attribute my woes with Windows XP/Vista to piss poor drivers, but I would expect reputable companies like Intel and Broadcom to not hold me down and drop a deuce in my mouth when trying to connect to a network, just because it's WPA encrypted. ActionTec though, I can understand. Their drivers are so bad you need to (on Windows) always plug the modem into the same USB port...
EDIT: Oh, and my iPAQ runs WM5 because HP hates me. WM5 is something I would never ever want to use ever again.

skeezix said:
(MAC cloning is built into a lot of devices as standard feature, and sniffing MACs out of the air is pretty trivial. WEP at leastis some protection, but can be cracked in a few minutes by a scriptkiddie.)
1-2 seconds max.

WPA can be cracked, but if I remember right it was something non-trivial like 3 days on extremely beefy hardware. Long enough that most of us are "safe".

Kramy said:
skeezix said:
1-2 seconds max.

WPA can be cracked, but if I remember right it was something non-trivial like 3 days on extremely beefy hardware. Long enough that most of us are "safe".
I'd like to see it done in a few seconds. You need to pick up roughly 1,000,000 unsecure IVs and frankly, I tried it and got something like 2 IVs over several minutes on a network with 3 computers wirelessly connected.
In any case, WPA can be cracked with your shader processors in a reasonable timeframe, given you have a fairly new GPU (I believe it took about 2 days on an NVIDIA 8800)

There's one fundamental difference between physical security and virtual security I've always wondered. If someone wanders into your yard and drowns in your pool, you are liable. However, if you can prove that you made an effort to keep people out, such that there is no way they could have accidentally wandered over and hurt themselves, you become less liable. Even something as simple as putting up a gate with an out of the way latch.
Now, by this metric, if you have an open network that someone uses to commit illegal acts, should you be held liable in some way? We're assuming that it was already proven someone else performed the illegal act. By the same metric, if you are liable for holding an open network, do you really need to put forth maximum effort to secure it, or is a latch held shut with a stick (ie, mac filtering and WEP encryption) enough to negate liability? It's all academic, of course. The situation isn't likely to come up. I just like to wonder if it did, would (should) there be some kind of small punishment on the "victim" for having an open network, and where the line is drawn as to what is sufficiently secure. I've yet to give myself a totally convincing argument either way.

lulzfish said:

Stupid comparisons, lulzfish. DS doesn't support WPA, it's far too weak to handle it. iPhone doesn't support USB Mass Storage, the filesystem is hfs+ and not FAT32. I could name off hundreds more.

Kramy said:
skeezix said:
1-2 seconds max.

That's still trivial. I've written POC code to sniff the data on my phone, and upload it to my home computer, which has access to 4x separate i7s, combined total of something like 32gb memory.

No protection whatsoever means you're practically inviting people to use your network. If you don't mind letting strangers use your network, that's perfectly fine. Just don't do anything important without additional security.
WEP is completely unsafe. It's as safe as a wooden gate with a "stay out"-sign. It keeps those strangers from just using your network because it's free, but won't stop malicous users. Furthermore, it's enough to tell people they're not supposed to come in, meaning breaking in violates the hacking laws. You can sue people if they break into you WEP-network.

WPA-TKIP can also no longer be considered safe. (as said above, you need about one million Initialization Vectors, but you can force reauthentication as an attacker.) Not reasonably doable with just a laptop, but a small farm is enough to break in in.

AFAIK, WPA-AES is still safe.

But all of the devices you want to use need to support the encryption, els you need to put it to the lowest common denominator, and the DS is a large stopping force, as it doesn't support anything but WEP, and the DSi only supports newer on new games. (The DS's wifi-stack isn't part of its firmware, but a library put into the games themselves...).

Back