Wi-Fi

andyhamer

Having had major issues with pretty much everything else in the 2 days iv'e had my unit (hopefully going to be solved, by different SD cards) i thought i would try the wi-fi, but i can't get a connection.. nada.

After the first boot i had a connection for about 30min (since then the unit has been re-flashed 4 times) and now nothing is detected (isn't it just as simple as networks being auto discovered?) please go easy on the network terminology, my knowledge is rudimentary at best.

If it sheds any light, i recently tried to disable wifi power saving as mentioned in a thread by mr Evil D via: sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off and received this message: Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

any ideas?

EDIT:

Unrelated to the above topic, but i was just wondering if anyone knew why, my unit after being shutdown & rebooted always displays the incorrect time (and yes i have set the correct timezone)

EDIT+

OK Ed, here is the dmesg

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
Having had major issues with pretty much everything else in the 2 days iv'e had my unit (hopefully going to be solved, by different SD cards) i thought i would try the wi-fi, but i can't get a connection.. nada.

After the first boot i had a connection for about 30min (since then the unit has been re-flashed 4 times) and now nothing is detected (isn't it just as simple as networks being auto discovered?) please go easy on the network terminology, my knowledge is rudimentary at best.

If it sheds any light, i recently tried to disable wifi power saving as mentioned in a thread by mr Evil D via: sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off and received this message: Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

any ideas?

Please boot up and post your dmesg output, that would help :)

any ideas?

Please boot up and post your dmesg output, that would help :)

Thanks, but can you tell me how to do that?

^ Open up a terminal (it'll be in one of the menus, labelled as "Terminal"), type dmesg and then hit enter.

If you're running without SD Cards at the moment, you may want to grab a USB flash-drive in order to copy and save the results to a text file (it'll have to be USB 2.0, or else you'll need a USB 2.0 High Speed Hub, but most modern flash-drives are USB 2.0 so you'll likely be fine).

EDIT: Ninja'd!

OK, thanks

EDIT:

A bit more info regarding the SD card thingy.. when i tried to copy the dmesg file to either of the 32gb cards i have been using (one Play.com, one Transcend) neither was working (some weird error message) then hunted around a bit & found a tiny Sandisk.. any hey presto, transferred straight away, the evidence (if you will pardon the pun) is mounting!

OK, thanks

EDIT:

A bit more info regarding the SD card thingy.. when i tried to copy the dmesg file to either of the 32gb cards i have been using (one Play.com, one Transcend) neither was working (some weird error message) then hunted around a bit & found a tiny Sandisk.. any hey presto, transferred straight away, the evidence (if you will pardon the pun) is mounting!

Hi

I use these from Amazon and never had a problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W1BSM0/ref=oss_product

OK i got it working.. only thing is, it never stays connected for anything longer than about 10-15mins, and then i have to re-enable the connection (which doesn't always work) is there any way i can automatically enable the wi-fi upon the Pandora booting, and prevent the log-off/disconnect (or whatever else is happening there)

EDIT:

I thought that that would be what would happen. :p

OK i got it working.. only thing is, it never stays connected for anything longer than about 10-15mins, and then i have to re-enable the connection (which doesn't always work) is there any way i can automatically enable the wi-fi upon the Pandora booting, and prevent the log-off/disconnect (or whatever else is happening there)
Are you on Hotfix 5? (I ask as I thought that the described issue had been mostly resolved with that release.)

EDIT:

I thought that that would be what would happen. :p

Are you on Hotfix 5? (I ask as I thought that the described issue had been mostly resolved with that release.)

I'm presuming so, i reflashed with Zaxxon-HF5.

^ Ah, ok. I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, given that, so I will step out and defer to the experts in the field. :)

I have the exact same thing. I stay connected to the network, but no connection. Pinging IPs doesn't work when this is happening.

I have tried two different routers, Linksys wrt54gl w/dd-wrt with wpa encryption and a standard adsl wifi router at a friend.

Oh, and I got my unit yesterday and the OS version is Klaxxon.

I think you mean Zaxxon. Also, are you running the latest HotFix? Your unit should show HotFix5 in the top-right of the boot screen.

Zaxxon yes! I don't have "Hotfix5" in the top-right when booting. I thought Zaxxon was the name of HF5.

I will try HF5 right away!

Thank you

click on the pandora icon

click on terminal

type dmesg, press enter

select the text, click edit, copy

open mousepad from the menu

click edit, paste

save file

[optional] type cd /media/<sd-card-name> (e.g. cd /media/mmcblk0p1)[/optional]

type dmesg > dmesg.txt

copy/paste dmesg.txt here
Fixed that for you ;)

I have the exact same thing. I stay connected to the network, but no connection. Pinging IPs doesn't work when this is happening.

I have tried two different routers, Linksys wrt54gl w/dd-wrt with wpa encryption and a standard adsl wifi router at a friend.

This is exactly the same as the problem I've been having.

Back