Wifi Connectivity On Caannoo?

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
I got the WiFi kit with my Caanoo but I haven't been able to use it yet .. either I'm totally missing something, or it seems there is no way to enter the password for the networks? My Caanoo sees my networks, but every time I try to join on, it just hangs and then says "failure" .. I'm assuming due to no password yet.

Anyone wanna beat me with a clue? I'd love to build dropbear and use it this evening ..

I can connect to my password protected WPA network, so it should be something with your wifi stick. maybe try a different security (WEP or even open) just to test if it works
dropbear would be great :) in fact I built it, but it doesn't seem to work no error messages, but port 22 is still closed

Hmm, maybe it doesn't like my WPA2 net, okay then .. I'll set up a caanoo-only, unprotected net, for the time being. If anyone else gets WPA2 working, I'd be happy to know.

torpor said:
Hmm, maybe it doesn't like my WPA2 net, okay then .. I'll set up a caanoo-only, unprotected net, for the time being. If anyone else gets WPA2 working, I'd be happy to know.

Same problem here with the wifi stick from GPH. It sees my network it claims that it is unprotected even though it is a wpa/wpa2 network. My dsi xl/psp 2000/psp go/n900 have no issue connecting to my network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok - so I think we have ourselves a firmware bug. I also have a WPA/WPA2 (Auto) network. If I plug the dongle into my Win7(32) laptop, I'm able to discover and connect to my wireless network without any issue. In fact, speed tests are 100% of what they should be, and perhaps even a bit stronger than the built in wireless card (!!) which took me by surprise. However, when I move this card over to the Caanoo, the reason you don't have the opportunity to enter a wireless password (and thus get a failure) is because it shows my network as "unprotected" with the icon of an unlocked padlock next to the network name.

Given that the Ralink wi-fi dongle has no issue with the laptop, and given that there is no option to do a manual settings connection with the Caanoo in it's present state, there is probably no fix at this time until a bug fix is developed. Any idea how to report our "multiple" issues to the powers that be?

RobbW

i can't be sure because i'm not home, but if i remember correctly my wifi is WPA2
when trying to connect, is asks fot the passwd and after that connects successfully (i can see it in the router's DHCP client list and ping it)
the wifi stick is some cheap Ralink thingie (i can check the vendor ID if anyone is interested)

btw you can telnet to the caanoo :) just tested it so that's really nice (check the nitbits thread i made) all you need to do is basically run the telnet deamon located in /usr/sbin/telnetd

wow, i didn't notice the telnet daemon :-o
but that's enough for development, thanks for the hint ;)

I'm having a different Wifi problem. Connect the dongle, it sees my connection but the Caanoo wont let me input all the pass key characters, I have 128 bit encryption.

i'm using the wifi stick from gph and WPA on my home router (just don't know if it is wpa 2), everything works without a problem, although it first just tries to connect then shows some error and then i get to the "networks screen" and can select my network and it immediatly comes asking for me to enter the password, but the onscreen keyboard is a pain doesn't seem to work so good, so i just use the caanoo joystick / buttons for it (and yes i did calibrate my touch screen)

i never had problems with the onscreen keyboard, never missed a letter
can your Caanoo be faulty? does the touchscreen work in all other situation?

My problem is that I'm just not getting the dialog to enter a password, ever. I've three WPA-protected networks, they all show up in the list, but if I try to select one I just get "Error connecting.." and nothing else happens..

This is weird. We're all experiencing different problems. I bought the wifi package. With the dongle was a green CD. have installed the networking software but it doesn't seem to be of use. Has anyone else got 128 bit encryption on their router and has been able to enter all the passkey characters into the Caanoo?

Tried again and the Caanoo wont let me enter the last 4 characters of the pass key.

Think I'll end up not bothering as it's winding me up.

GPH didnt send a wifi kit so i cant help, but i anyone sure they included encryption software like wpa_supplicant?
I would drop any encryption on the network and retry.

i dont think there's much magic in all the wireless setup. everything could be done by hand like sbock did on the wiz i think. looking in joyriders useful nitbits thread, the setup file for the default wifi dongle can be found here:

Code:
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/RT2870STA.dat

taking the instruction found within Wiz_WLan applied to this file could resolve the problems if someone is only using one network to connect to.

since i don't have a caanoo, i cant help much further. but thats the way i'd try if nothing helps.

crow_riot said:
i dont think there's much magic in all the wireless setup. everything could be done by hand like sbock did on the wiz i think. looking in joyriders useful nitbits thread, the setup file for the default wifi dongle can be found here:

Code:
/lib/modules/2.6.24/kernel/net/wireless/RT2870STA.dat

taking the instruction found within Wiz_WLan applied to this file could resolve the problems if someone is only using one network to connect to.

since i don't have a caanoo, i cant help much further. but thats the way i'd try if nothing helps.

Sorry, that means absolutely nothing to me but thanks for taking the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found something interesting: i tried to connect as usual, but I got an error message that the connection failed
but regardless of the message it got an IP, and worked (i was able to telnet/ssh into it) :)

I recently posted a question on the FUNGP site telling them about my wifi problems and I received the following reply:

There will be a new firmware to be released.
The firmware will be based on for WiFi and Over Clocking.
When the new firmware is released have a re-try and let us know if you have the same problem.
Thank you

This will hopefully sort some problems out.

Back