Wifi To Orange Livebox

Rockthesmurf

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Hi there,

I have my broadband internet connection in the UK with Orange, and they provide a 'Livebox' which acts as the broad band modem/router/wifi point/etc. I have several devices that access the wifi point, ranging from mobiles phones, to music streamers to laptops, however my Pandora doesn't seem to place nice with it! The typical sequence of events is:

1. Attempt to connect, the Pandora just keeps asking me to enter my password (which is saved, correctly), no matter what you do on the Pandora, it doesn't connect.
2. Change the 'channel number' on the Livebox's webpage, to some other random number.
3. Try connecting again from Pandora, quite often it works this time, if not GOTO 2 until it works
4. Browse internet for a while (maybe 30 minutes).
5. Hear sort of 'click' noise from Livebox, notice internet connection is now dead (both on Pandora and even on PC that is wired directly into Livebox - not using Wifi).
6. Wait a short period of time (less than 30 seconds).
7. PC can now use internet, but Pandora can't, have to GOTO 2 at this point, and sometimes reboot the Pandora

Anyone else connecting to a wifi network served up from a Livebox? Or does anyone else have similar issues with another type of wifi point? Ideally, does anyone have any solutions to this problem?! My network is protected with a WEP key, I don't particularly want to disable this, as I live in a reasonable size block of flats, and I'm sure as soon as the key comes off people will start using my connection.

Many thanks,

Steve

I should add, I have always had this problem, although it might seem like a major issue, I've found so many things to do with my Pandora that I haven't been too upset about not having a reliable internet connection, typically I develop/download stuff on my PC, copy it on to an SD, and then bung that into my Pandora. But I must admit, I'd love to be able to remote debug stuff on my Pandora, which I can't really do at the moment.

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
I should add, I have always had this problem, although it might seem like a major issue, I've found so many things to do with my Pandora that I haven't been too upset about not having a reliable internet connection, typically I develop/download stuff on my PC, copy it on to an SD, and then bung that into my Pandora. But I must admit, I'd love to be able to remote debug stuff on my Pandora, which I can't really do at the moment.

Have you tried notaz reconnection fix from the beta page?
Might be that this helps solving your issue.

Last edited:
A friend of mine had a similar problem.
Turns out his "zero configuration, everything works, WEP key is on a sticker on the bottom" adsl router enforced a limit of 4 computers on your network (small writings in the contract)

solution: attach a *real* router and connect your computers to that

Yannick said:
solution: attach a *real* router and connect your computers to that
Indeed! The Livebox is a pretty sorry excuse for a router in my experience. I have one, but I use it only to provide my proper router with a wired connection to the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, the Livebox is the only Wifi type thing I have (I have many Wifi devices, but only the Livebox for making an access point). Do you guys have a good recommendation for a decent router/Wifi AP/adsl modem - one that will work with the Pandora, and one that doesn't require rebooting from time to time because it seems to hang (I've had this on a few previous routers).

Steve

EvilDragon said:
Rockthesmurf said:

Have you tried notaz reconnection fix from the beta page?
Might be that this helps solving your issue.

I haven't tried that no, I'll look it up tonight - thanks :)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update, I put on the latest beta hotfix, with the wifi disconnect fix, but I still get the same problem. If I have my Pandora accessing the Wifi for a while, especially when using the connection a lot (download something), my Livebox will loose connection and reset. Not really sure what the Pandora must be doing in order for the connection to drop like that but there we go! I will have to try and find another wifi network at some point to try my Pandora on, to double check it doesn't happen with other routers!

Steve

Back