Pandora keeps disconnecting from wifi

hogofwar

Still Fresh
I have a problem here, when i connect to my wifi it connects just fine, but after a few minutes the actual internet connection drops out (no warnings or anything just that no websites load) the wifi meter still shows signal and reconnecting fixes the problem for a few more minutes until it happens again.

Can anyone help?

I think you want "Support" rather than "General Talk".

Make sure you're running the latest firmware, and try using a different channel on your router.

indeed

I have a problem here, when i connect to my wifi it connects just fine, but after a few minutes the actual internet connection drops out (no warnings or anything just that no websites load) the wifi meter still shows signal and reconnecting fixes the problem for a few more minutes until it happens again.
which hot-fix ? the drivers in HF5 should not do this

indeed

which hot-fix ? the drivers in HF5 should not do this

oops, sorry.

Yeah hotfix 5.

i have the exact same issue, tweaking around with the power setting and power saving can make it slightly better. but personally, i couldnt stand the built in wifi (not to mention its only 802.11g), so i bought a 802.11n dongle and now wifi isnt an issue anymore =D. (+ it actually drain less power than the built in wifi >_>), 9hour battery while downloading at full speed (5mb/sec), whereas the built in gave me 7h at 800kb/1mb)

http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list

contain the link. but for the lazy

contain the kernel module compiled from 2010_1215_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.5.0.0 (http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2)

i dont think it will work for your belkin usb, but it might. depend on the chipset inside. if you tell me exactly what model, i can see if i have a similar one here and try to make the kernel module required but i cant do that without more informations.

Last edited by a moderator:
...i dont think it will work for your belkin usb, but it might. depend on the chipset inside. if you tell me exactly what model, i can see if i have a similar one here and try to make the kernel module required but i cant do that without more informations.

It's a Belkin 54G F5D7050 Version 1, if I understand this correctly it should be achievable through the kernel-module-rtl8187 ipk in the angstrom repo? it won't install with opkg though, not entirely sure what I should be doing. :blink:

alright. so you need the rt2x00 driver. unfortunatly i dont own any usb stick using it so i cant test it myself, how comfortable are you with commandline and linux in general ? i dont mind compiling the module, but making an installer and a pnd is kinda annoying for quick tests xD. if your fine with loading kernel modules manually to try it. ill compile it for you tommorow when i have a few hours to do so.

Once we confirmed it work, i dont mind making a pnd for it, since a lot of usb stick use that driver.

alright. so you need the rt2x00 driver. unfortunatly i dont own any usb stick using it so i cant test it myself, how comfortable are you with commandline and linux in general ? i dont mind compiling the module, but making an installer and a pnd is kinda annoying for quick tests xD. if your fine with loading kernel modules manually to try it. ill compile it for you tommorow when i have a few hours to do so.

Once we confirmed it work, i dont mind making a pnd for it, since a lot of usb stick use that driver.

I'm a bit of a linux noob, but quite happy doing things on the command line if I know what I'm doing :D (I'm at home in DOS for example).

If you can compile the module and instruct me a little that'd be a great help thanks, haven't had much luck with the built-in wireless :(

I would be quite interested in how to compile modules though (got a cross-compiling environment set up in vmware) if you know a good step by step guide (bearing in mind I'm new to c++) as I've got one or two other things in need of drivers.

i never tryed cross compiling, i prefer compiling natively personally. it could be simple to cross compile too i guess, but well, if it cant compile it, it cant run it !.

After some fiddling I tried compiling it myself but it's not happening, I'm pretty lost with what to do for this, google doesn't seem to be helping much either :(

On the plus side loading kernel modules looks easy enough.

Tried loading ones from angstrom repo but keep getting invalid module format error (using insmod, modprobe says it doesnt exist), thats using the rtl8187.ko file, no idea if this is something I should be trying though lol :blink:

Getting a toolchain and setting up cross compiling looked easier for getting started with c++ to me, still don't entirely know what I'm doing, just need to get cracking with some tutorials etc figure everything out :p

well chance are the kernel module you got from opkg isnt compiled for the pandora kernel since the pandora is using an older kernel than mainstream angstrom.

tonight ill look into freeing some time and make you the module. insmod is a bit more direct than modprobe (modprobe require some config files to be set to work)

sorry for the delay, didnt have time to check on that yet, but i am now downloading the rt2x00 driver sources, if all goes well, ill post a kernel module real soon.

sorry for the delay, didnt have time to check on that yet, but i am now downloading the rt2x00 driver sources, if all goes well, ill post a kernel module real soon.
Good to hear, I'm looking forward to some speedy wifi :)

EDIT: No need to rush yourself on my account by the way.

arh, crap, i didnt notice they changed the chipset between version 1 and 2 ><. this one use prism, which "should" be part of the kernel already, but you need the correct firmware.

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/p54#firmware

a brief version:

download http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-usb/2.5.8.0.arm (USB 2nd generation (ISL3887) for older than 2.8.28 (we have 2.6.27))

rename the file from *.arm to isl3887usb_bare

copy it as sudo to /lib/firmware

then rmmod p54usb ; insmod p54usb ; to reload it

---

after looking some more, it seem that the module is not included in the pandora install, most likely to save space, to obtain it, one need to compile the kernel from source (its on the wiki somewhere), but anyway, i did that for you.

the attached file contain the modules you need to load

run those commands in the directory you extracted it

and if your firmware is ok, it should work.

Once you confirmed it work, ill create a pnd for it to be permanent and more user friendly (this will be lost at reboot).

if it doesnt work, please post the result of dmesg.

#load

sudo insmod cfg80211.ko

sudo insmod mac80211.ko

sudo insmod p54common.ko

sudo insmod p54usb.ko

#unload

sudo rmmod p54usb.ko

sudo rmmod p54common.ko

sudo rmmod mac80211.ko

sudo rmmod cfg80211.ko

p54module.tar.gz

Attachments

• p54module.tar.gz
    104.9 KB · Views: 153
Sorry but so far it doesn't appear to be working, but here's what I've noticed.

When loading the modules the terminal tends to get stuck after 'sudo insmod p54usb.ko', as in the prompt doesn't come back. attempting to load it again gets the message that it already exists.

After loading p54usb.ko the 'sudo lsusb' command stops working altogether until a restart.

No devices etc appear in the network manager or under iwconfig, and the LED on the USB stick does not come on.

After reading your post properly, it doesn't seem to work, relevant dmesg:

Code:
firmware: requesting isl3887usb_bare

p54: LM86 firmware

p54: FW rev 2.5.8.0 - Softmac protocol 3.0

prism54usb: firmware upload failed!

prism54usb: probe of 1-2.1:1.0 failed with error -110

try this link for the firmware instead.

http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-fullmac_isl3877/1.1.0.0.arm

if that doesnt work, then try http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-usb/2.13.1.0.lm86.arm

and else try http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-usb/2.13.1.0.lm87.arm .

Unfortunatly, i have no usb stick using a prism chipset, let alone the same one as you. so i have no way of telling exactly which firmware it is xD.

i saw on some message boards that it would be the first generation firmware, so you should also try

http://daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-fw/fw-usb/2.13.24.0.lm86.arm

but the filename it requested for the firmware ( isl3887usb_bare in your dmesg ) tell me its the 2nd generation so im not sure xD.

Back