Wifi/wlan Connection Works Very Well

The gumstix have a list of working sdio cards I'm sure as that was the only way to get wifi was through SD cards. They run arm, so as long as the kernel on the GP2X has everything it needs for sdio and you get the drivers everything should work. I'm just checking how big wifi SD cards get, I have a 2GB card right now and wish I had a 4GB.

Thanx,
Stan

I'm tired so I'm finding it hard to understand the pictures of the serup (with the added bonus that I can't find my glasses), so confirm me on this:

You need a BoB connected to the EXT port with a power supply running into it from a PSU. You connect a USB hub to your BoB and plug the wlan stick in (so theoretically you can do it without a hub). (I may be mistaking the BoB as a hub, I don't know). A diagram would help, but eh, I'll understand it in the morning I suppose.

In my case Hub = BoB. The rest of your post is OK. But I work on my moblie solution. I will use 2 AAA Cells and a StepSup to get 5v and .... will be happy ;-)

For a second it looked like the USB hub was running back into itself :D

(EDIT: It is, but not in the way I thought)

lintsniffer posted on May 28 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
All wi-fi devices use massive amounts of power when wifi is on. I have a pocket PC and the battery life is 1/5 when Wifi is on.

That's why you power it from another source... At least with the GP2X.

Try a battery powered rechargeable hub, like I posted a few posts ago.

EDIT: Oh, I see you mean for built-in wifi. Sorry, I got stuck on the USB thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as I find a good and small solution to get stable 5V out of 2 AAA Cells, I will continue to build it.
P.S. I was in IRC Chat with my GP2X yesterday, but over USB LAN right now. I hope I wil get my wireless stuff running soon....

yes. I ordered a credit card to buy some nice 3,7V LiIon Cells from America. I will mod the GP2X to use them instead of the NiMH Rechargeables. This will help around the incresed power need and should help me to power the Wifi directly from the GP2X. If my calculation is right, the GP2X will run 7 h 54 min after the mod is done. I'll keep you up to date.

GeneralZod posted on May 7 2006 at 04:27 AM said:
Actually, while we're talking about a mobile solution for WIFI, I wonder if someone who knows about hardware/ electronics (I know practically nothing, alas :() could answer a few questions? I don't think I've seen either of them asked/ answered elsewhere.

1) How hard would it be to use the GP2X's batteries to power a USB device? Is there enough power available to power a USB w-fi device? How hard would it be to wire it up? How much empty space is available inside a GP2X?

Here's some specs for a USB wi-fi stick - I chose this model as I own one and it has open-source (ralink rt2570) drivers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-WL-167G-USB-2-w...1QQcmdZViewItem

Power is rated as "350-450mw in transmission mode", and is apparently adjustable.

2) Has anyone ever hacked open one of these USB wifi sticks and seen just how much is casing/ empty space? Are the internals of the stic the kind of size and shape that could be "spread around" inside whatever empty space is available inside a GP2X?

Cheers! :)

This post is kinda old but I was also wondering about these same questions. Emu&Co, can you explain in a little more detail how it would work without the need for a powered USB hub? Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back