Wiimote + Pandora

CandidStan

Since the Wiimote uses bluetooth, and the Pandora will have bluetooth, does anyone have plans to make a mobile wiisaber, or something else which uses a Wiimote type accelerometer?

(Star Wars kid mobile ftw)

Huh? Are you asking if you can use a wiimote with the Pandora?

Technically doable but good luck with the 3 1/2 in. screen.(Should be no problem with TV out)

EDIT: You would also need a Wireless sensor bar or equivalent.

KRH said:

Technically doable but good luck with the 3 1/2 in. screen.(Should be no problem with TV out)

I ment to use just the accelerometer aspect of the Wiimote. As I stated above :rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
CandidStan said:
KRH said:

I ment to use just the accelerometer aspect of the Wiimote. As I stated above :rolleyes: .

I think you're more likely to see someone doing what KRH posted.

-God Ginrai

I'm doing some tests with the wiimote and my laptop (Kubuntu). It looks very promising and (as javaJake and KRH said) should be easy to port them to Pandora, but it would only make sense if they are played on TV. I'd like wiimote drivers were included in the firmware, but I suppose Nintendo could sue Craigx & Co.

Why should they be able to do that? It should be possible to add support without violating any Nintendo copyrights or trademarks...

I'd love to see Wiimote support! It would enable motion gaming on the Pandora in a better way than a built in accelerometer could. Also, it would be a great controller for multiplayer games. If you want pointing control, simply make sure to have two candles and a lighter around...

Weren't there a gp2x fps game that let you use wiimote? But on the topic, I'm interested in this for multiplayer and remote control when using tv-out. I don't see why it wouldn't work if someone with the skills required would take the job :)

Gaeryc said:
Weren't there a gp2x fps game that let you use wiimote?
Quake

It'd be neat to have the nunchuck work as the left analog and the wiimote as the right, as well as working buttons. Play PSX wii style!

CandidStan said:
I just realized, If you just want to use accelerometers then I figure the PS3 controller is the way to go. :)

Just leave it up to the developers to implant the functionality into the O/S I am sure they can do it considering that there are already Wiimote drivers that are open source in linux. I do not know for the PS3 controllers though.

FYI: There are X drivers for the wiimote, don't know how stable/available they are, but they do exist, and they are fully open source so there should be no issue with Nintendo having problems with it, and if they do I think it would be directed at the X.org project and not Pandora.

OrR said:
Why should they be able to do that? It should be possible to add support without violating any Nintendo copyrights or trademarks...
I don't say that would be illegal, but if there is a videogame console with "official Wiimote support", Nintendo could (and probably would) sue that company. They don't have to win, they only have to make the small company spend too much money in lawsuits so they settle or go bankrupt.

I would love Wiimote support in the firmware, but I don't know if that would be a wise movement.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
OrR said:
I don't say that would be illegal, but if there is a videogame console with "official Wiimote support", Nintendo could (and probably would) sue that company. They don't have to win, they only have to make the small company spend too much money in lawsuits so they settle or go bankrupt.

I would love Wiimote support in the firmware, but I don't know if that would be a wise movement.

Maybe if they advertised it as having "official Wiimote support," but simply including Wiimote drivers (as well as other gamepad drivers) and claiming that the Pandora supports many types of input devices, including the Wii controller, Xbox 360 controller, and others, should not be a problem.

Back