Will Picodrive Be Updated For Dingux?

goldenegg

I have to say I love the port A600 did of Picodrive, but there have been so many great advances in the emulator that I'd love to have ported to the Dingoo. Are there any plans to release a new version? I understand source code is not available past version 1.35, so I'm guessing this is a project Notaz would have to take on himself.

I mean... you kinda answered your own question. It's up to notaz to either release newer sources or compile a version based on those newer sources for dingux, both of which are completely under his whim. Devs are busy men & I'm sure one or the other will happen eventually, but only when he's comfortable doing so. Till then we'll just have to make due ;]

It's still in "planned" stage, still need to get myself a Dingoo. Also code has changed so much over the years that the port needs to be redone.

notaz said:
It's still in "planned" stage, still need to get myself a Dingoo. Also code has changed so much over the years that the port needs to be redone.

That's great to hear.

If someone else was interested in doing the port, is there any way for them to get access to the source or have you stopped distributing it entirely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's sort of a moving target, right now it has 32x emulation code added and a recompiler in WIP state, but certain MD emulation things are broken, so code is not suitable for a release. The plan is to stabilize everything and make a public source release, but that might still be months or even years away.

notaz said:
still need to get myself a Dingoo

You do hear the guy, everyone, start clicking on "donate" button.

Hi, Notaz. I'm Orakio, a new Dingoo user, and I'm just now getting to know the system. There is a quite big Dingoo community here in Brazil, and many Brazilian folks are interested in a new PicoDrive version for the Dingoo. In fact, some people just went nuts when you mentioned that a new version is possible in this thread.

We've started discussing the subject, and many of us are willing to donate and help you buy a Dingoo, so you can work on it. We are thinking about getting everybody to donate on the same day, turning it into some kind of "Brazilian donation day" for PicoDrive on the Dingoo.

Of course, I'm in no way asking for release dates or stuff like that, I'm fully aware of the nature of your work on PicoDrive — I understand how it works, as I'm constantly involved on volunteer translation of games into Portuguese, and it pisses me when people ask "when will it be released? :) All I want to know is: suppose we manage to buy you a Dingoo. Are you really interested in working on it or is it just a remote possibility?

And if anything I wrote above sounded harsh or made you angry, please consider the fact that my native language is Portuguese and something may be lost in translation :)

Thanks and keep up the good work!

siloucos said:
notaz said:
still need to get myself a Dingoo
You do hear the guy, everyone, start clicking on "donate" button.
It's not a matter of money, I haven't ordered it because I knew I wouldn't have time to code for it.

Orakio Rob said:
We've started discussing the subject, and many of us are willing to donate and help you buy a Dingoo, so you can work on it. We are thinking about getting everybody to donate on the same day, turning it into some kind of "Brazilian donation day" for PicoDrive on the Dingoo.
I know you Brazilian guys are big megadrive fans, but that would make me feel in debt for you. I already have a day job where I'm told what to do. If you donate, you do it for something that's already released, not for something I might end up never finishing.

Orakio Rob said:
All I want to know is: suppose we manage to buy you a Dingoo. Are you really interested in working on it or is it just a remote possibility?
Yes I'm interested, but I'll buy a Dingoo myself and I'd like to finish next PicoDrive version before starting (re)doing ports.

Sorry Notaz, We didn't want to make you fell pressured or in debt. It was a way We think to estimulate your work.

Back