Will the GP32 succeed in Europe?

crazeeplaya

That's the way I like it
Check out my article at GP32 World which discusses this topic

Press Ctrl+F5 if you can't see the link to the article on the main page

The new official firmware will remove the need for registering and downloading the freelauncher so the gp32 will be a lot easier to use. I am told this will be the firmware installed on the European launched machine. :)

As for games, we'll see. Anyway, if they launch it at a reasonable price - ie, less than a £100 - it may prove irresistable to people who remember the good ol days of console gaming and fancy that action again, in a more convenient form.

Time will tell, as it always does. :)

Judging from the Korean price it'll launch at not much more than a £100, which is really good I think. Lack of games is a sore point. There are loads of small ARM based developers working on the likes of GBA, N-gage, PocketPC etc, all it would take is some of those releases on the GP. If gamepark can pull their finger out. I mean, 'fathammer' the engine developer have done a wipeout clone, 'red faction' and a load of others. But maybe gamepark have something in the works, we are always the last to know.

Thing is, they cant advertise emulation as a selling point, and this is one of the main reasons in getting a GP32. So, they're gonna have to rely on reviews and the like, highlighting the fact that it can do all these great things.

Don't want to sound negative but i really can't see it being a big success in Europe as Gamepark are too smaller company they don't have the marketing clout or any killer apps to be quite frank i've played a few of the commercial games and apart from pinbal dreams to be quite frank there not very good.. a couple of the rpg's look ood ... but there in korean... plus its too fiddly to set up and use for Joe avearge who wants to be able to 'pick up and go'

You only have to look at all the other handhelds by larger compnies before it Atari, Sega and recently Neo Geo all fallen to the big N all which had some really good stuff look at Neo Geo... sadly demised.

To be quite honest having owned mine for a few months there seems little interest from Gamepark themselves rarely realease anything new for it or any news of anything new, its basically the emu and home brew struff that keeps it alive, which is great as thats one of the reasons i bought it for and this will maybe what keeps it going :)

All i can see the european release will do is to create a slightly bigger user base to those diehard games, techy and gadget freaks as its more readily available to buy in there own country or off the shelf, without the hassle of importing it, which aint a bad thing ;)

Back