Will the Pyra be good for schoolwork? (and other questions)

_wb_, I figured that would be the case as well, but it seems Spirit's college focuses on Windows.  I still highly recommend messing with *nix at some point so that it isn't a complete mystery when encountered, and learn how to use some of the common tools and commands.

Wait, what? Windows Network Administration? You may want to reconsider your choice of school!
Everyone who worked once with Windows SBS and Exchange servers will agree with _wb_. Windows servers, never again.

Everyone who worked once with Windows SBS and Exchange servers will agree with _wb_. Windows servers, never again.
Especially since this is what he will have to handle : windows on server is disapearing. Exchange is pretty much the last reason to use windows as a server...

My university has dropped all Windows Server administration classes 5 years ago. I know I'm working on a 10 year bachelors degree.

Wow, really? I'm going here because it's cheap and I have a scholarship possibility here. i need to check the four year universities in Kentucky that have Linux servers classes.

I have used Ubuntu for about six months on an older PC as well as Mint. I have also tried bodhi and peppermint on a VM. So I know a bit of Linux. But if what you say is true and Windows networks are fading, I need to find a new education.

wow you invested a whole lot of thought into this network administration hocuspocus :)

im kidding - no harm intended

I have used Ubuntu for about six months on an older PC as well as Mint. I have also tried bodhi and peppermint on a VM. So I know a bit of Linux.
Did you stick with the GUI?  If so you may know a lot less than you think.  I still feel that I don't know anything, and I have been using Linux for 16 years.

Unfortunately there are still a ton of Windows servers out there.  I wouldn't say that knowledge and experience is useless, but it is better to know a little about a variety of the things you will encounter in case you are required to work on something else.

I gotcha. Hopefully the 4 year institute will have more diversity.

Also, Yes I did stick with the GUI for the most part besides using Terminal for installing things and adding repositories. I am probably very new at it, I only know a little and I know that it is very extensive.

But if what you say is true and Windows networks are fading, I need to find a new education.
Most small companies like architects, doctors etc. have small windows server for outlook exchange and file storeage. I think you can find work wiht your knowledge. But try to learn some linux stuff too :) .

I worked for a very large organization that used a lot of Windows servers.  I am pretty sure they weren't all Windows, but all the ones I worked with and set up were.  Quite a few *nix boxes for users (I think many were Linux, but I only had to work on those a few times, so I may be wrong), however most were only needed for a handful of very critical services, and once all that was running it usually stayed up and the users didn't do anything else with them.  I think it depends on the company and their needs.

Well, If I were to setup and manage a network for a game development studio, what should I use?

GIT and Subversion servers. And a backup server, I know an average gaming studio who hadn't a backup and lost lots of code and content. This stuff can run on linux. And a samba server for file access. If the studio develops on linux you can use sshfs, which is better then samba.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used a Microsoft system as a server myself, so I can not say anything about whether Windows servers are going to vanish, but just from the things that you're interested in with respect to the Pyra I don't think that you personally would really want to do network administration with Windows. The philosophies and ways-of-life behind working with Windows and working with FOSS tend to differ quite significantly (though of course there are reasons that both worlds exist, and in the same world no less).

I gotcha. Hopefully the 4 year institute will have more diversity.
You /really/ should look into this, this is an important choice which you will be making soon.
My advice would be that you setup another VM with Linux. Ubuntu would be fine unless you prefer something else (but in the case of Ubuntu heed the advice at https://fixubuntu.com/). You may also want to look into Debian though, a Linux-based OS with a more "classical" spirit. Debian is what Ubuntu is based on and what will be preinstalled on the Pyra, too.

With VMs, one of the best aspects for learning of course is that you can create snapshots of the installed system that you can easily revert to so that you don't have to fear breaking anything, and you should make use of this. Try to just use one of these VMs for all your day-to-day tasks too, and then you automatically won't be limited to just installing and trying out programs in Linux.

Here are some free networking- and Linux-related learning resources which you might find helpful in determining just what exactly you find interesting (I don't have any relevant Windows-related resources at hand which I could give you, sorry):

...if you have more questions, then don't be afraid to ask them. If you want to increase the chances that you're going to receive helpful answers, consider How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

Thanks a bunch Christoph.Km. Any recommended VM software? I tried Oracles but couldn't get files from my PC to the virtual hardrive. I deleted it afterwards :I

Also, rohezal, I'm not sure what any of those are yet. But thanks ;)

(Actually I have heard of samba)

Any recommended VM software? I tried Oracles but couldn't get files from my PC to the virtual hardrive. I deleted it afterwards :I
I'm assuming you mean VirtualBox, which should be a fine choice for this purpose.
For things like file transfer between guests (the VMs) and host (your computer), arbitrary resolutions, shared clipboard, hardware accelerated graphics functions etc. to work, the guest systems that you install (Ubuntu, Debian...) will have to be aware that they are running inside a VM, and able to work together with the virtualization solution. If they don't do that right after you've installed them, then you will have to install what are called the /guest additions/ in VirtualBox terminology (these guest additions are to be installed on the guest system, not on the host system).

The official VirtualBox documentation (or an Internet search via your preferred search engine) has more details: Guest Additions for Linux.

SVN und git are a bit like drop box. You can save files in them and restore the previous state. Multiple people can work on the same document on the same time and the changes will be merged automaticly (if possible).

I prefer VMWare to VirtualBox. The interaction is a bit easier and the VMWare Player is a bit faster. But VMWare is not open source :( .

SVN und git are a bit like drop box. You can save files in them and restore the previous state. Multiple people can work on the same document on the same time and the changes will be merged automaticly (if possible).

I prefer VMWare to VirtualBox. The interaction is a bit easier and the VMWare Player is a bit faster. But VMWare is not open source :( .
I've had the opposite experience with VMWare.  It has a lot of finicky things about it that bug me to no end.  Just use what you are comfortable with. 

-Glyph Reader

I've actually have the x86 Linux version of Dropbox working on the omap5 devboard via x86 emulation (Exagear Desktop).

I did all of that with the guest additions and it still didn't do it. My teacher couldn't even get it to work xD

I started to set up Debian. It asked me for a bunch of network stuff. The only thing I didn't do was the proxy, didn't know how. Do I have the right one and will I have to do it with the Pyra as well?

Back