• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
Just wondering as DCGM seems to be very excited and egged on by people having incorrect grammatical understanding. Does anyone care and does it make a difference?

Peter R said:
Just wondering as DCGM seems to be very excited and egged on by people having incorrect grammatical understanding. Does anyone care and does it make a difference?
Please just let me be the first to point out that you spelled grammar incorrectly in the poll title ("grammer") but got the post-title correct. :lol:

Bad grammar (and spelling, punctuation, etc.) can really be a jolt in the mind of someone who is accustomed to reading material which doesn't suffer from it (e.g. I work in a school, so every single spelling mistake and grammatical error made by a member of staff is a reason to mock and ridicule them!). When you come across a poorly constructed sentence, it's almost impossible to stop yourself from thinking "They couldn't even be bothered to take the time to write it correctly." Bad grammar costs people jobs every day because their CV's just get thrown in the bin.

That said, in informal forums, who cares so long as the text is readable? The problem is that those people who ignore basic grammar (and I'm not talking about those who use "me and Fred" instead of "Fred and I" but the ones who can't even get a simple sentence to sound right) also tend to throw away any hope of posting a readable comment.

You make exceptions on the Internet. A lot of people are not native English speakers and although correcting them is fine, punishing them for it is not. Also, you get a lot of young kids and they benefit from the same treatment. There are a lot of pedants, though, that like to ridicule people and then actually get more things wrong than the original poster.

My mother stormed into my school one day and nearly picked up the teacher by the throat because he'd complained about my handwriting being messy - I was top of the class, way ahead in reading and writing, but he had to find something to complain about and drop marks for. The end result was the agreement between them that "it doesn't matter what it says, or how messy it appears, so long as it is readable." The same applies to spelling, punctuation and grammar as it did to my handwriting.

To those people who "just post quickly"... ffs (technically, that should probably be capitalised and punctuated with a few periods) at least put a full stop or a capital letter in there somewhere so I can pause for mental breath. And don't get me started on quotation marks and apostrophe's (sic).

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I hate the txt speak... that's where it could end.
Hell yes txt speak pisses me off!

I was reading a txt my sister was sending and it was all like: "O yh i lyk dis n dat n wat u wanta do ma dik iz long"

wtf is wrong with writing whole words?

I'm a grammar Nazi, but am known to occasionally skip capitalizations ( :eek: ) on MSN and such.
It's a bit annoying to read posts riddled with spelling and grammatical errors.

Peter, you really are an arrogant worm.

I have a problem with native speakers making the same grammatical errors over and over. You, Peter, constantly say "should of" and "would of". We've pointed it out to you several times, but you make no point in correcting it. It's an elementary mistake, and at age 19 (or however old you are), you shouldn't be making it.

I understand not capitalizing or not putting a period at the end of a sentence (I am guilty of it from time to time), but PLEASE make the sentence readable. Use commas, use periods THROUGHOUT the paragraph.

There are plenty of older Brits on here that mistake "than" for "then" and put apostrophes on words such as "your's". Really now, you're an embarrassment to your nation.

"Lol" and "wtf" have become unique in the sense that they convey a feeling better than if the words were spelled out. I understand certain usage of that. There is, however, no excuse for abbreviating "you" and "your" on a respectable message board.

With that said, I should clarify my post in the other thread. I wasn't merely attacking his poor grammar, I was attacking his poor grammar which was used in a letter to Dell. Even if he was half kidding, Dell will totally ignore a letter from some kid who cannot even get basic English correct.

ledow said:
apolice.jpg
Bad grammar costs people jobs every day because their CV's just get thrown in the bin.
apolice.jpg
And don't get me started on quotation marks and apostrophe's (sic).

Glad to be or service :p

Here, have an advice sheet.

bobsqu.gif

I don't like txt speak when there is no need for it. I "put up" with it in an actual txt message, but it's still annoying to read.

"wuu2" is something I felt like punching someone through the phone for. I was scratching my head for a few minutes and I had to finally cave in and ask wtf it meant. I mean "What's up?" is short enough surely?

It's sad to see that we are heading towards speaking like cavemen again... :p

PokeParadox said:

Totally.

I for one sorta stand in the middle, I know that's probably going to get me hit by a train or something, but seriously, in the end of the day, if you are going to sleep cursing the people who can't spell correctly, or don't have 'perfect' grammar (there I spelled it correctly, lol), then really, you should see help.

I know it hits a nerve with some people....but Life is too short for this.

DSR

dsraa said:
PokeParadox said:

Totally.

I for one sorta stand in the middle, I know that's probably going to get me hit by a train or something, but seriously, in the end of the day, if you are going to sleep cursing the people who can't spell correctly, or don't have 'perfect' grammar (there I spelled it correctly, lol), then really, you should see help.

I know it hits a nerve with some people....but Life is too short for this.

DSR

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! RANDOMLY CAPITALIZING CERTAIN WORDS!

:p

<SNIP>

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! RANDOMLY CAPITALIZING CERTAIN WORDS!

:p

Oh you want me to go into it? Because that's nothing, I got a girlfriend who I chat with on yahoo, and she can't spell for shit.

Here check out this line: "well if ur busy i let u go and u can im me when ur not busy if u wont".

or this one: "you can be think about work or some bad thoughts about someone...lol but not that bad thoughts thow"

Seriously....and she's polish......and blonde.......I think I have a chance.....LOL

DSR

aaron11193 said:
I was reading a txt my sister was sending and it was all like: "O yh i lyk dis n dat n wat u wanta do ma dik iz long"
LMAO! :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Thats quiet and inter resting quote from you're sister

Edit: For grandma

ledow said:
possible to stop yourself from thinking "They couldn't even be bothered to take the time to write it correctly." Bad grammar costs people jobs every day because their CV's just get thrown in the bin.

Oh dear.

And yes, bad grammar could end the world. If kids are losing their inability to write correctly, they are being taught incorrectly. And where will this sloppy teaching end? A president who can't compose simple sentences?

Oh wait...

Ist dies eine Art Wettbewerb? Wer startet den dämlichsten Thread? Langweilig...
Viel Spaß beim Übersetzen *gg*

mali said:
Ist dies eine Art Wettbewerb? Wer startet den dämlichsten Thread? Langweilig...
Viel Spaß beim Übersetzen *gg*
/googletranslate
Was bedeutet "dämlichsten" bedeuten? :huh:
/googletranslate

ledow said:
Please just let me be the first to point out that you spelled grammar incorrectly in the poll title ("grammer") but got the post-title correct. :lol:
But DCGM would argue, as he did in the other topic, that a typo is acceptable incomparison to a grammatical error.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Peter, you really are an arrogant worm.

I have a problem with native speakers making the same grammatical errors over and over. You, Peter, constantly say "should of" and "would of". We've pointed it out to you several times, but you make no point in correcting it. It's an elementary mistake, and at age 19 (or however old you are), you shouldn't be making it.
People in my area of the country say "should of" instead of "should have" when speaking in person. Furthermore, I do not believe I have made that mistake for quite some times and the meaning is the same and it is still easily understandable. That is a stupid grammatical error to fault me on. It makes no difference as long as the conveyed meaning is still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back