• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
PokeParadox said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
should've, would've

There is no way of differentiating between 'of' and ' 've' when it is spoken.
They actually say "of" as in Ov.

Trust me on this I've heard people say it and it's not the same as them saying should've.
It sounds like "Should ov" and not like "shouldev" ;)

However they pronounce it, they're pronouncing "should've."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
What you up to?
Oh, and Peter? Your grammar sucks.

So, because I make one particular grammar mistake repeatedly that makes my entire grammar suck?

Exophase said:
Peter R said:
People in my area of the country say "should of" instead of "should have" when speaking in person.
Wow, you're not very bright at all.

This topic is obnoxious.

I never said it wasn't I was wondering why people on an internet forum get worked up over something so stupid. If people are writing incorrectly in an essay, then yes they are idiots. However, this is not a critical essay but a forum...

Meme.

should've, would've

Yes, there is when you have a Wiltshire or Somerset accent. However, I do admit that some people may actually be trying to say "should've".

PokeParadox said:

Trust me on this I've heard people say it and it's not the same as them saying should've.
Sounds like a Wiltshire accent.

Exophase said:
Not always. In different regions of Britain there are different conventions used when speaking.

Exophase said:
PokeParadox said:
should've, would've

Unless, of course, they actually believe it is "should of" and continue to write and speak it because that's how they learned it and no-one ever corrected them.

I have yet to see someone reference me actually posting "should of" instead of "should have" recently as I am apparently accused of doing so. I am pretty sure I started using it correctly eventually (though it did take me long enough).

I believe in the run-on sentence, the poorly constructed ones backed by ideas, knowledge and passion without hesitating to think that they've overstepped the bounds of the topic but then they're back again leading into the original topic for no reason other that to lose train of thought and walk over to the shelf while drinking your martini, no, you must just go balls deep in the text letting it write itself into a nasty grammeratically offensive piece is tribe like they that who is are where and such looking for an exit now, but there seem no lights at ends of tunnel, more just taked theirs' and we is watch sunset! This has been an unpaid advertisement by the world of tomorrow!

The world won't end... not totally, we might disappear off this dirtball, but given the chance that our sun doesn't supernova and blast every planet in this galaxy to shit... the world should be pretty safe for quite awhile, bearing some form of life (cockroaches got the best chance against our worst idea so far...).

Oh, right... grammar, um, I'm done and sorry if some of my interviews demonstrate bad grammar sometimes, but dammit...

P.S. I believe alot is a word, and add it to the dictionary on the computer whenever I can!

Hooka said:
<circumcision>

P.S. I believe alot is a word, and add it to the dictionary on the computer whenever I can!
+1 :D

Has anyone ever heard somebody say "arks"? As in "Arks your mum if you can <whatever>" in place of ask?

A friend of mine says it, and even argued against me when I pointed out that it's supposed to be said "ask".

EDIT: I had quite the laugh reading through all the replies in this thread :lol:

sod it. I dont care anymore. why should i stand up for convention? i have spent most my life living by my own morals and bending the rules. lets bastardise (notice no z in basardise) our language. its a new world that belongs to the new. down with the old.

i dow care no moor

shud I ?
wud I
cud I

the King is dead
lon l1v da king

as Lemmy (bastion of correct grammer and a philosophy to live by) once sed - ' anybody who lives by a book is fool'

Ravnos said:
PokeParadox said:
should've, would've

Speak English to me, PokeParadox. I thought this country spawned the fucking language, and so far nobody seems to speak it.

(Movie quote, before someone flips out.)

I never said I say this... and I certainly don't write my dialect down on paper!
"Tha'd all 'av trouble wi' wa' a wa' on abart"
Movie quote or not, it's already well known that the UK has a wide selection of regional dialects and I find it bizarre that everyone is flipping out that certain regions speak in a "non-standard" way. Of course we are all taught the Queen's English at school and it should be common sense for us to use that to converse generally, but there are people I know that write down their dialect. I've experienced this first-hand when I've lived in Glasgow, here, in Pontefract too. I'm sure it happens everywhere.

Exophase said:
PokeParadox said:
should've, would've

Actually in dialect people do say should of and would of fairly near here... What annoys me though is when dialect is written... it should only be verbal.[/quote
People do write it... therefore, one must hypothesize that the actually believe they are being correct in saying "should of".

Using dialects in writing comes across horribly. Thats why trainspotters was a great movie but the worst book ever written.

Peter R said:
So, because I make one particular grammar mistake repeatedly that makes my entire grammar suck?
One mistake? That's hilarious! You comma splice, you put apostrophes in the wrong place, you confuse "than" and "then", you confuse "your" and "you're", and you merge words together when they should remain separate.

Untitled-1copy-4.jpg

You've also been known to randomly capitalize words. Get off it.

Peter R said:
People in my area of the country say
I never said it wasn't I was wondering why people on an internet forum get worked up over something so stupid. If people are writing incorrectly in an essay, then yes they are idiots. However, this is not a critical essay but a forum...
This is different from just not capitalizing sentences or leaving the final period out because you're too lazy. These are major grammatical errors which you are doing unintentionally because you don't know proper English. You're embarrassing yourself.

Peter R said:
Just wondering as DCGM seems to be very excited and egged on by people having incorrect grammatical understanding. Does anyone care and does it make a difference?
lol, on the poll you spelled grammar wrong.

PoisonedV said:
Using dialects in writing comes across horribly. Thats why trainspotters was a great movie but the worst book ever written.
...And that's probably why I never knew Trainspotters was a book, and I only knew about the movie. Oh wait my bad: nd thas proly y i nvr nu trainspotters wz a buk n i nly nu bout da mvie

Fixed.

jakshep2 said:
Peter R said:
Just wondering as DCGM seems to be very excited and egged on by people having incorrect grammatical understanding. Does anyone care and does it make a difference?
lol, on the poll you spelled grammar wrong.

ledow said:
Please just let me be the first to point out that you spelled grammar incorrectly in the poll title ("grammer") but got the post-title correct. :lol:
lol, you are soooo slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back