Will This Usb Compact Flash Card Reader Work With The Gp2x?

DAXP

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have an adapter for it, but it's power is limited to 100mA. No idea what that means, but I think my protable HDDs (laptop HDDs) are 500mA, or 5V, so I'm guessing I'm limited to 1V. Anyway, I need a way to store some more stuff, and I thought getting a card reader and an 8GB card would fix my troubles, but I want to make sure I have enough power for it before getting it. I have no clue what to look for, though, so here's a link to the reader. A friend says it probably will...but it's better to be safe than sorry, right? >_>

Huh? What are you talking about? 500 mA does NOT equal 5v, they are two unrelated things...well actually the voltage fits somewhere into the mA formula, but you get my point.

I really have no clue about power, so yeah, I thought I'd make myself look stupid. I just know that the adapter says it has 100mA max, and one of the HDDs says 500mA on it, right beside the 5V thing. The others say either 0.7 A or 1.0 A instead of 500mA. I hope I'm not confusing anyone too much... >_<

I really have no clue about power, so yeah, I thought I'd make myself look stupid. I just know that the adapter says it has 100mA max, and one of the HDDs says 500mA on it, right beside the 5V thing. The others say either 0.7 A or 1.0 A instead of 500mA. I hope I'm not confusing anyone too much... >_<
Forget the power, how are you going to connect that to your EXT connector?

Did you buy a BoB? Why not just power the BoB and leave it at that? It isn't portable anyway.

You have a non-powered hub?

Try it, if it doesn't work then you don't have enough power :).

I bet it probably will, but have no way of knowing since you don't tell us what you are plugging it into.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the GP2X powered hub that's, oddly enough, linked to by the link in your sig. And the link I was talking about is the USB host link.

Yar, now I'm having touble with the OldPlay music thing. I sort my songs by artist, and added some more of one artist..I can't get them to stay with the other songs by that band. The songs start with E, but with Oldplay they somehow end up past Z. With Explorer and the built in music player they're fine, though. >_<

It's the GP2X powered hub that's, oddly enough, linked to by the link in your sig. And the link I was talking about is the USB host link.

Yar, now I'm having touble with the OldPlay music thing. I sort my songs by artist, and added some more of one artist..I can't get them to stay with the other songs by that band. The songs start with E, but with Oldplay they somehow end up past Z. With Explorer and the built in music player they're fine, though. >_<

I don't know which link in my sig you are talking about.

If it is a GP2X powered hub then you need to provide a clean 5 volts to the correct pin in the USB port to make your hard drive run properly.

I would check your hard drive, many have a seperate power jack for 5 volt wall adaptors if your PC doesn't supply enough power.

I think the point of the GP2X powered hub is things like keyboards/mice/LAN/controllers/self powered HDD.

I am sure you are NOT to use Wifi/USB powered HDD/anything drawing more than 100mA power.

You likely should have bought the powered hub if you weren't prepared to build a power adaptor for it yourself.

The USB Host one. The link to the other site says 'Buy a Cable' or something.

And it does, but it doesn't work with it and the GP2X. I plugged it into the wall, it turned on, plugged it into the wall...and nothing. Tried with NTFS and FAT32 HDDs. I think it's getting too much power though, as the thing shocked me if I touched it. It did work with my PC, too.

And I knew that. But I don't know how much power the reader takes. A friends SD card reader works with it, but I'd rather get an 8 GB CF card.

The USB Host one. The link to the other site says 'Buy a Cable' or something.

And it does, but it doesn't work with it and the GP2X. I plugged it into the wall, it turned on, plugged it into the wall...and nothing. Tried with NTFS and FAT32 HDDs. I think it's getting too much power though, as the thing shocked me if I touched it. It did work with my PC, too.

And I knew that. But I don't know how much power the reader takes. A friends SD card reader works with it, but I'd rather get an 8 GB CF card.
Interesting, see my post in this thread for some info on the USB out with external HDD's or CF Readers even.

Sorry about not responding, been messing with my PC a lot. >_>

And that sounds intresting. I'd love a setup like that. But, in terms of small HDDs, I think Pocketec would be better. They have 60 GB 1.8" HDD, 120 GB 2.5" HDDs, and 8 GB 1" HDDs. They are more expensive, though. But in the end I'd still perfer to just use the current USB adapter I have along with a card reader, thumb drive, or something similiar. At least, until something like what you described is avalible.

And it seems some of the HDDs will work. I just got a tiny 15 GB HDD to work with it. Now, if only I could have the GP2X power it...

EDIT: Oh, well this is pretty cool. A friend sold me an iRiver REALLY cheap. It works fine as a portable HDD, and doesn't take any power since it has a battery, so I can use my SD card reader too. So I can have up to 28 GBs. MAybe more, since the iRiver has a USB host mode, not sure how much power it can give...

Back