Win 3.1 via DOSBox at native resolution

I'm here to show Stars! 1.10a:
screen101217-231531.png

Since nobody has replied I'll add this new stuff onto my post.

So, I thought I had gotten winbox a bit faster this revision (some more aggressive optimization flags to gcc), but wasnt sure of it.
Now I'm sure:
Code:
Dhrystone Benchmark 1.1 Optimized
Setup Run1 Run2 Run3 Units
Winbox r1 @ 600 Mhz 3.21 3.17 3.24 VAX MIPS
Winbox r1 @ 1000 Mhz 6.91 6.97 7.02 VAX MIPS
Winbox r2 @ 600 Mhz 4.68 5.05 5.03 VAX MIPS
Winbox r2 @ 1000 Mhz 9.47 10.83 10.49 VAX MIPS
And if one wants to play the Mhz game, http://homepage.virgin.net/roy.longbottom/dhrystone%20results.htm"]according to the list[/url] a 40Mhz AMD 80386 is 17.5 VAX MIPS with this benchmark, so it would make our winbox r2 at 1000Mhz to be about the class of an 24Mhz AMD 80386. This only applies to raw integer math though (as that is what dhrystone measures).

urjaman said:
Somebody should write ISA NE2000 emulation into dosbox (atleast i dont recall seeing any), then you could just use a packet driver + arachne :p
<OT:DOSBOX>
OMFG Arachne was THE fastest (Graphic) web browser I've ever seen... even on 386! And it was great as an e-mail client/offline browser/file browser/apps lancher etc.
If somebody's planning something useful with Arachne (DOSBox@Pandora), I suggest you to try also WebSpyder/Embrowser MOD (it came with OpenDOS/DrDOS):
it can handle web with animated gifs beside jpeg/png (and frames etc). At DOS, 386, ~500kB ram (or ramdisk)
EDIT: www.glennmcc.org has also GPL DOS "version for 8086 thru 80286 CPUs (without FPU)" :p

Btw it could be fun to see FreeDOS@Bochs/QEMU vs DOSBox benchmark for Pandora :)
</OT:DOSBOX>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I would reply, but this sounds a bit complex for a non-coder, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. ;) If you get some time, maybe you could make a small tutorial video just to quickly show how to set this up and do something useful with it.

Meanwhile I've updated the info on the emulator list.

urjaman said:
And if one wants to play the Mhz game, according to the list a 40Mhz AMD 80386 is 17.5 VAX MIPS with this benchmark, so it would make our winbox r2 at 1000Mhz to be about the class of an 24Mhz AMD 80386. This only applies to raw integer math though (as that is what dhrystone measures).
Thank you urjaman!
Winbox is a fine name, and you're doing a fine job.
Here and here are scattered many freeware Win3.x little games, in case you miss some... show some, maybe somebody become curious enough :)
As I remember, there was many tweaking software (Quarterdeck?) for possible speed improvements... Also there is Calmira, providing long file names (LFN) support and some other (mostly visual) enhancements. It could be nice to show us speed relations or so.

Written a new mouse driver for win3.1, in the year 2010?

*puke*

You are _awesome_ :) There shoudl be a xbox live achievement for that level of crazy :)

Definately take a video :)

jeff

^ I said "compiled" for a purpose. Most of the code comes from Win 3.1 DDK sample mouse driver code,
which is filled with Copyright MS tags, thus I'm pretty sure that I cant GPL the driver (sorry!).
The driver is written in MASM assembler, and compiled with nmake (in dos == dosbox).
I have WIP tree in which I'm changing the mouse driver name (to AMOUSE, for Absolute position Mouse) so I could have an oemsetup.inf made for it (and it could be installed with Windows Setup), I'm also cleaning the code of all the unnecessary protocol modules, etc. So maybe I might release a "real" installable driver some day.

<OT>For me writing 16-bit x86 assembler is (relatively) easy. My coding learning path was QBasic => 16-bit x86 asm => C (and then all the others). Great way to make you understand pointer math in C from the very start :p</OT>

And yeah for a video... Maybe I'll make something, but It will be lofi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCiV0QBJE0
EDIT: Yeah, now processed enough to show.
We did not recognize the audio codec format for this file, but we will go ahead and try processing it anyway. See this article on recommended formats for more information.
LOL'd. FYI YT it has no audio. My webcam doesnt have a mic...

Nice; shakycam ftw ;)

Your'e working pretty hard, to make Win3.1 possible; whats the pet app you are really hoping to run here?

Curious :)

jeff

skeezix said:
Nice; shakycam ftw ;)

Your'e working pretty hard, to make Win3.1 possible; whats the pet app you are really hoping to run here?

Curious :)

jeff
@shakycam: Its that thingy: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25948 - weight: ~nothing and it is a bit complex to use the pandora one-handed => shakycam.

The app has mostly been Stars! (It runs just fine if you can cope with a bit of seeing it draw itself "live"), also 3.1 was the first graphical OS I ever used, so it has a big nostalgia factor for me. I was also quite taken aback by SkiFree :p. And i like to meddle with random things (emulators are a bit new for me), so this has been my intro to dosbox source code, etc...

They've got Windows 95 running onto the Palm Pre with acceptable speed:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=15655064
I wonder if this could also happen for the Pandora? Specs of the Paöm Pre seem to be very close to our Handheld.

Is share.exe still unsupported in dosbox/winbox? I've got an old monopoly game that I'd like to play under win3.1 that's asking for share.exe

thanks,
Christopher.

Don't know if you're still about urjaman, but a belated thanks for your work on this. Just got it up and running now. Mouse driver + video driver = awesome stuff. :)

Back