Windows Media Center Knock Off

sm1988

Still Fresh
I am squinting and turning my head to the side as I write this begging to get flamed but I think a good wmc clone would look really slick on pandora I have been racking my brain learning how to put together a gmenu clone for psp but I think I am going to dump it and start learning to put this together for pandora.

You mean, maybe something like this?

mythvideo1.png

icurafu said:
You mean, maybe something like this?

mythvideo1.png
Yep but no yellow fonts. If there will be something that can direct launch roms with preview screens i will pee myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice GUI, I see no usability problems other the being too high a resolution.

A mythtv port would be cool. The size shouldn't be an issue, there are plenty of themes, and it was initially designed to run on SDTVs, which are much lower res than the Pandora. It would also be neat to have finger driven navigation with some of the themes (should work out of the box like that, but you may need to click 'enable mouse').

Myth is much more then geexbox, or xbmc, streaming tv and dvds to the pandora with a half-decent interface would be really cool. Should be able to stream over the internet too.

http://mythtv.org/
http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

... This is good motivation for me to figure out how to get that stupid PCHDTV driver issue worked out (it conflicts with my optical audio driver). =)

There's also Gloss, an alternative frontend for mythtv, that's bound to look a lot slicker... and there's the great MythUI rewrite going on for MythTV itself :)

But then, would MythTV really make sense? Unless you can run it without a server, just using local content (for MythGame etc.), either the startup time would be gigantic (Backend+Frontend) or the backend would have to always sit in the back hogging resources....
But anyway, I think there's a thread about MythTV somewhere already ;)

EDIT:

emil10001 said:
It would also be neat to have finger driven navigation with some of the themes (should work out of the box like that, but you may need to click 'enable mouse').
No, at least not currently. I've been looking into this for an HTPC project and as of now, only part of MythTV (ie the front menu and not much else) has been converted to their new UI library, MythUI, which allows mouse (and thus, touch screen) inputs. The current (well, old but still currently used) one does not.
However, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post, they are working on it, plus the specifications are all there so anyone can make a custom frontend (much like Gloss, which uses the Clutter framework btw... there's a thread about that somewhere around here, too).

Last edited by a moderator:
@nilsiboy

I've been using myth for years. Mouse input has been allowed since I started using it, it's just not usually practical to do, since most people use a remote or something.

Running anything *but* the frontend would be excessive. My thinking was that users would already have a mythbox that they would connect to. I should've been a bit more clear about this.

Also if you've been 'looking into' doing this as an HTPC project, stop thinking about it and get it built =). You won't be dissapointed.

I know I won't, and I pretty much everything planned, but it's gonna be for the family living room, so I probably have this one shot and want to make it count ;)

However, I really need mouse input (there's gonna be a touchscreen involved, with the remote being used to control a seperate instance of mythtv on the tv, so no other input devices), and from what I've gathered, it's just not there yet, ie no on-screen keyboard, no back button (but a gesture iirc?) etc. I made up a plan to use Gestikk to implement my own mouse gestures, but after reading that there's new progress in the MythUI rewrite I decided to just wait for a while

All you have to do is uncheck the 'Hide Mouse Cursor in Myth' box under 'Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearacnce.' *Most* things respond to the mouse, only a few things don't. (I just tested this.)

My personal suggestion would be to use a wiimote with the cwiid driver. You can have a fun pointer, plus you can map the d-pad to the arrow keys. You can also map buttons to 'enter,' 'esc,' and some other commonly used myth default keys (like FF, RW, jump the commercials). The entire interface is navigable using the arrow keys. I used a wiimote with myth for a while, the only problem is that the thing chews through batteries. The good thing about it, is that you can use the wiimote/nunchuck/classical controller with any emulator that allows you to map buttons. Also, I believe cwiid allows multiple wiimotes (but don't quote me on that, I've only got the one, so I can't really test it out). Depending on how you set up your X servers, with your two screens, using a wiimote could work to control both of them.

Edit: Correct, there is no 'back' button, you're right, you can't navigate solely with the mouse. But arrow keys, 'enter' and 'esc' would do just about everything.

Back