Windows Sucks. . . Is Linux Better?

geo12

Retrofuturist
Website
Visit site
Well, I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with windows XP, and this is the third time I'v had to format the computer because of viruses. So, I just wanted to know if there was a better, more stable operating system (perhaps Linux) so that this will not happen again. All I really need is a good program to check my e-mails.
Plz help
I dont like loosing files :(

Switching to linux is a big step, it's like forgetting how to walk for a few days.
SUSE is where I started and its fairly beginner friendly whilst providing the opportunity to delve deeper if you want:
http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/

It's bootable from a CD and can be installed to run along side windows, has a nice desktop interface too.

As for emails, it'll let you read those no problems.

linux is great but its not for everyone. I would recommend downloading whats called a live cd version and then burning that to a disc and running it to see if you like it. One of the best known live cd versions is called knoppix. Live cd means it runs completely off of the cd and doesn't do anything to your hardrive. This means that it will also run much slower than it usually would because reading a cd is much slower than reading from the hard drive, but it should give you a good idea of what linux is basically like. When you say you need a program to check your e-mails you mean you want a program that contacts the web and downloads your e-mails for you? If thats the case, you should use mozilla thunderbird. Hope that helps.

speedmike posted on Sep 6 2005 at 12:11 AM said:
i tried switchin from osx to yellow dog but my imac didn't like it so much... so back to osx for me :(

Don't really know why anyone would switch from OS X to Linux. Windows to Linux I can understad, but OS X to Linux.... Nah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wanna have a go at Linux, are there any Linux experts here that could recommend a fast/efficient distro that has lots of support (I mean in the way of drivers - and software). I don't neccessarily need a beginners distro, but don't give me just a command-line, as I do want it to be usable.
Anyone?

ratx posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:18 PM said:
see iignotus's post about 3 lines up?
I see it is suitable "for human beings". Hehe, I will try it out.

If you go to Linux, then you gotta consider a few things.

1. Will all the software and games you use run on Linux

2. Linux is VERY different from Windows, it will take you at least a few days to find your way around. Even installing software is different, as some software will require you to recompile it's code so it runs on your Kernel version.

3. Which version of Linux are you going to use. Because Linux is open source, there's soo many different versions around. Not only that, the people who run Linux themselves have their own favourite versions. I have found that the so called "Linux Experts" can sometimes be unhelpful, especially if you're using a different version to them, and I get the feeling they feel Linux is a bit Elitist.

On another note, If more of us moved over to Linux, it would obviously become more popular, and the more popular something is, the more people like to target it. So Linux would get a whole new batch of viruses of it's own!!!

My advice is stick to Windows XP SP2, keep the updates up to date, get a good virus checker and some good spy ware removal tools. Don't forget to keep them up to date too.
Also, when surfing the web, NEVER click yes to popups that ask things like "Do you wish to install"

I have been running Windows XP on this machine for over a year now, and it's still as solid as it was when I first installed it! That's another point, I'm not trying to sound condescending here, but if you haven't got the computing skills to keep your Windows machine virus free and functional, then I would stay well away from Linux as its much more complicated and not as friendly as Windows XP.

If you are continually managing to get you computer infested with viruses Linux is a big NO. The only thing i'd recommend you get is OSX or to learn how to use your computer properly.

Cyclops posted on Sep 6 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
I would love to find a windows machine over 6 months thats been used thats not got viruses/spyware and the like on it. Its become part and parcel of owning a computer.
To be honest I don't get why so many people have spyware/viruses on their computers. I've had a total of three viruses in the time that I've had my own pc's and each time was because I was a noob looking around for stuff that I shouldn't be but my virus software immediately detected the virus and dealt with it.
As for spyware I just have tracking cookies detected by spybot/ad aware but no software.
The only mistake I made a few years ago when I first got my computer was to download that stupid bonzi buddy but once I wised up to what spyware was I never downloaded a "free" program again.

Cyclops posted on Sep 6 2005 at 04:51 PM said:
Klown posted on Sep 6 2005 at 04:40 PM said:
If you are continually managing to get you computer infested with viruses Linux is a big NO. The only thing i'd recommend you get is OSX or to learn how to use your computer properly.

Jesus, he has a dell machine, last time I had a look OSX didn't work on anything Dell produced(I know its been hacked but well). I would love to find a windows machine over 6 months thats been used thats not got viruses/spyware and the like on it. Its become part and parcel of owning a computer. OSX is lovely but stop being a fanboy!
....... What? I just recommended a mac system. I don't own one and never intend to. Jesus christ stop being so reactionary.

EDIT: Oh and also I've managed it fine along with the rest of my family and friends. All it takes is the latest service packs, a virus scanner and some common sense.

Radio posted on Sep 6 2005 at 06:24 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Sep 6 2005 at 05:51 PM said:
I would love to find a windows machine over 6 months thats been used thats not got viruses/spyware and the like on it. Its become part and parcel of owning a computer.
To be honest I don't get why so many people have spyware/viruses on their computers. I've had a total of three viruses in the time that I've had my own pc's and each time was because I was a noob looking around for stuff that I shouldn't be but my virus software immediately detected the virus and dealt with it.
As for spyware I just have tracking cookies detected by spybot/ad aware but no software.
The only mistake I made a few years ago when I first got my computer was to download that stupid bonzi buddy but once I wised up to what spyware was I never downloaded a "free" program again.
NOT BONZI BUDDY. Many a computer that damn monkey of purpleness destroyed he did. hmmmmmmmmm

I would just like to add that the whole "When Linux becomes more popular, it will have a virus/worm epidemic as bad as Windows" is completely untrue and gives me a few :lol: :lol: s.

The main reason I can think of OTTOMH is because of the Unix security model. The whole chmod/chown/executable bit is great, not to mention that it's easier to secure a system in Linux than it is in Windows.

Back