Wireless 3g Card

I can't give you any more than a definite "probably." Nearly all wireless broadband adapters actually use a USB-to-serial chipset to interface with the PC. The Pandora should work with these chips out of the box. It's just a matter of getting the right init strings for the modem, which are probably somewhere inside the Linux connection manager that comes with that device. It's definitely not going to be a plug-and-play affair, but there's a decent chance that it is possible. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

A CDMA modem, eh? Assuming the drivers work, would this let you use your phone's data plan for internet on Pandora? Would it allow you to use the Pandora as a phone? It's got a mic and speakers, but I think you would want a headset for that.

If your phone supports tethering, then yes you can probably use your data plan for Internet access. But your phone company might be pissed. I'm fairly sure you couldn't do the opposite and use your Pandora as a phone, but I dunno.

CDMA modems are data only, so the only way you'll be using the pandora as a phone is via SIP. That one is automatically set up within ubuntu, so I doubt there will be any problems getting it to work with the Pandora. It'll just take some work on your end, unless the included distro has an automatic connection tool for this kind of modem.

AFAIK connections are made using wvdial, which has been built successfully on ARM. Should be easy enough to create a PXML package for it.

are there devices to plug in ur sim-card to ur computer/pandora?

to be able to actually use ur pandora as a cell - so u wouldnt have to carry to devices with you

(of course you would wanna use a bluetooth-headset with it....cant imagine somebody actually tryin to put the pandora at his ears :D )

The coolest thing would be something like a bluetooth phone mouse. A device without display or keys, just the tx/rx with build in battery, simcard slot and bluetooth for communication with the Pandora. It should be possible to make it really small.
I know, it doesn't exist, but it should :)

I have a USB 3G modem (Huawei e272, Vodaphone branded) that works fine on Linux. Huawei e220 also works on Linux. I use wvdial to dial.

The issue is really with power, as the full size USB port on the Pandora that delivers 500 MAh (500 is required for Modem to work correctly) doesn't support full speed devices and I am pretty sure the modem is full speed. Will need to research that a bit though.

You might be able to use the two port cable that comes with the modem to draw power off the back port and connect to the front OTG port, but that's quite clunky and requires an adapter for the OTG port, plus it might not be safe to do this with the OTG port.

if by full speed you mean usb 2.0 then yes the pandora will support that

sdedalus said:
DesktopMan said:
2.0 is dubious. By full speed I mean full speed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb

Full speed USB 2.0 is 12 Mbps, so I'm assuming you meant high speed. The OMAP3 is capable of 480 Mbps over both its OTG and host ports.
When in doubt, RTFM.

Did you even read my original post? Also, RTFM yes. The regular sized USB connector does *not* support full speed devices, nor low speed devices. Why would I write full speed if I ment high speed? Most devices that don't need high speed use full speed.

OTG supports all modes, but does not supply 500 MAh of power. Dude. Don't reply if you don't read.

Update: seems to be full speed as I feared: http://pastebin.com/f1f2952a2

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'm concerned with is getting this device working

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/17/sony-er...spa-usb-modems/

Other than a camera, this device allows my pandora to do everything that I need it to that it currently doesn't. If I have this device I can concentrate on getting a cellphone with a really badass camera instead of a cellphone with GPS, 3G, Shitty camera, Smartphone OS, High cost, etc.

Edit: It's not actually out yet so I don't know how much it costs. If it's rediculously overprices I might end up getting an all in one cellphone anyways...

DesktopMan said:
Did you even read my original post? Also, RTFM yes. The regular sized USB connector does *not* support full speed devices, nor low speed devices. Why would I write full speed if I ment high speed? Most devices that don't need high speed use full speed.

OTG supports all modes, but does not supply 500 MAh of power. Dude. Don't reply if you don't read.

Update: seems to be full speed as I feared: http://pastebin.com/f1f2952a2

When I say RTFM, it means I have the manual in hand and am looking at the information in question.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/297801...e369172.jpg?v=0

EDIT:

My apologies, I was assuming the Pandora would make full use of the OMAP3 capabilities and was using the OMAP manual as a reference rather than the Pandora FAQ.

Does anyone know where I can find the discussion explaining how that came to be? All of the documentation on USB 2.0 that I can find indicates full backwards compatibility.

DesktopMan said:
enemyphoenix said:
The only thing I'm concerned with is getting this device working

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/17/sony-er...spa-usb-modems/

I am interested in this device as well. Time will tell if it's usable in Linux. It will also have the same full speed vs power issues as mine, unless it uses high speed which is doubtful.

Having 3G, GPS, and a Card Reader, I would be surprised if it didn't. Hell, even if it isn't, how much would you guess that it uses an internal usb hub instead of an all in one chip. The 3G and GPS I could see being on one chip but not the card reader...

enemyphoenix said:
Having 3G, GPS, and a Card Reader, I would be surprised if it didn't. Hell, even if it isn't, how much would you guess that it uses an internal usb hub instead of an all in one chip. The 3G and GPS I could see being on one chip but not the card reader...
Yeah that's a pretty reasonable assumption, so if that's the case it will at least be signal compatible with Pandora. I haven't seen any of the other Sony/Ericsson 3G modules working on Linux though. Hopefully this particular model raises interest because of the GPS.

Back