32 to 64GB SD Card suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0DF-0001-00026

I've been using the one for $74.99, actually two of them, and they work great, I just removed the Video software, and formatted with FAT32 and they work great. The site is misleading, so make sure you select the 64GB SDXC Video, Class 16.

But, not in stock currently, and @$57.87, that sounds like a steal. Would love to know how well they work and also the quality of the plastic housing as I've seen plenty of blue generics plastic crack where the plastic is bonded.

I'm in contact with Pretec and am considering adding them to my shop. They are also supposed to be dropping a 128GB 2nd quarter this year I believe.

But, not in stock currently, and @$57.87, that sounds like a steal. Would love to know how well they work and also the quality of the plastic housing as I've seen plenty of blue generics plastic crack where the plastic is bonded.
yeah, i cant wait. They should be at my door by next wednesday.

WTF, I just got my 64gb sd card in the mail from amazon.com, popped it in my computer and it only reads 29.8gb, though the label clearly sayd 64gb sdxc. WHY WHY WHY

because you let Windows format it, and windows doesnt know that fat32 can be more than 32gb

I noticed that a while ago as well. It's so silly. Linux can format larger disks as fat32 without complaints.

So, its not the card? cause I'm was getting ready to start the apocalypse and all. Ok

Edit. I'm running the h2test on it. I have to wait for that to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
well its not gonna test the other 32 if its not formatted first...use this on it first if you want fat32 http://tokiwa.qee.jp...Fat32Formatter/

otherwise, you could format it to ntfs, or any other better filesystem which windows doesnt like by default
that is not working. The program is unable to format this card. Using gparted on my pandora, I did see 61gb and formatted the card but, still when I put it back in the laptop, its unusable and windows asking me again to format the drive back to square one.

Check this thread related to the 128gb Lexar cards iirc there's some terminal magic for the formatting required to get them working with the Pandora properly, which may apply here too.

64gb sdxc for $55. cant really beat that. although i dont know how well it works on pandora, but i do know cantons 32gb sdhcs work quite well

http://www.woot.com/

It's ill advised to format FAT32 larger than 32GB. Number of free blocks has an impact on writing files and you will notice it being very slow, at least to start. As you fill up the card, it'll get faster as the number of free blocks decreases. This was the logic behind Microsoft's soft 32GB limit in their format program. For larger disks compatible across all systems, a single NTFS partition is recommended, or two 32GB FAT32 partitions. Windows can't create multiple partitions on an SD card, as far as I know, so you'd have to do that on the Pandora, and some devices (cameras, etc...) can only handle one partition, but I'm pretty sure you won't be taking 32GB of photos without the ability to move stuff anytime soon :p

It's ill advised to format FAT32 larger than 32GB. Number of free blocks has an impact on writing files and you will notice it being very slow, at least to start. As you fill up the card, it'll get faster as the number of free blocks decreases. This was the logic behind Microsoft's soft 32GB limit in their format program. For larger disks compatible across all systems, a single NTFS partition is recommended, or two 32GB FAT32 partitions. Windows can't create multiple partitions on an SD card, as far as I know, so you'd have to do that on the Pandora, and some devices (cameras, etc...) can only handle one partition, but I'm pretty sure you won't be taking 32GB of photos without the ability to move stuff anytime soon :p
I didn't really know that. is this fat32 issue only for sd cards? because I have a used 250gb ide hard drive that I turned into external storage and is formatted as fat32, or fat16, I can't remember but it works just fine. So far the card works fine in the pandora. I've even used it to update the flash to the new firmware but, I havent got it to work on my windows laptop without reformatting it back to that half size. Still working on it I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really know that. is this fat32 issue only for sd cards?
It's an effect of FAT32, even your 250GB hard drive will be effected. It doesn't cause any actual problems having a large FAT32 partition, it can just make writes slow if you have a lot of free space; the more free space, the slower it gets. You're less likely to notice with a platter hard drive because they're about 5 to 10 times faster than your standard SDHC card.

On the other hand, "slow" is relative: you copy a 300MB file and it takes a minute instead of 30 seconds, you probably weren't even aware of the extra 30 seconds it took.

I just got my Pandora, and I stuck a Transcend SDXC Class 10 (64GB) in it. It came in an extfat format, but in accordance to the forum posts I immediately formated it into ext2.

Much good did it do me, since I could not create any files or folders on it. The card was completely locked up from all access. I reformated it into ext2 and ext3 a couple of times, but the result stayed the same. A few hours ago I formated the card into fat32 and since then I have no problems with either read or write.

http://www.amazon.de/Transcend-SDXC-Class-64GB-Speicherkarte/dp/B003P3Q0DU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sorry for the late update to this issue. As it turns out its my t61 laptop 4-1 ricoh drive that doesn't support the card size. The card works and format just fine on other, newer computers. Oh well, maybe I can email lenovo to hell to make an updated driver or get a usd card reader.

Back