Caanoo / WIZ Wiz Testing

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hi all,

Now that the Wiz has had the a firmware update that solves the ogg playback problem with the Fenix runtime, I'm looking for Fenix games and apps to test.

If any of you are interested if your project will run on the Wiz and if you don't yet have a Wiz, then compile it on Fenix 0.84 and I can test it for you. I will add your project to a list I will be compiling in this first post. So far the Fenix games that fail have a video problem, possibly to do with the video mode.

Here's the list:

Works
BangGP
Boomshne
Myriad
Ruckman
Sleauth Slots
Smallball in Changeland
Blingo
Protozoa
Snake on Dope
Space Varments
Istappen
Epic Rocks
Vanguard Wars
The Minigame Project

Doesn't Work
Altitude (Video problem)

Peter R said:
Do you have the 0.84 runtime and a newer firmware than all the rest of us now then?
Pete, take a look at my post on the Wiz dev section of this forum. Ask questions relating to them there. if you want the runtime I can provide it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to keep stuff secret anymore (other than the hardware docs, which don't apply to Fenix anyway).

Orkie said:
There is no need to keep stuff secret anymore (other than the hardware docs, which don't apply to Fenix anyway).
If you want the runtime, Why don't you just ask?

Eh? I don't want it, I don't use Fenix and I never will. I am merely pointing out that you don't need to be so 'tight' with what you give out because very little about the Wiz is now a secret.

Orkie said:
Eh? I don't want it, I don't use Fenix and I never will. I am merely pointing out that you don't need to be so 'tight' with what you give out because very little about the Wiz is now a secret.
Please stick to the topic of this thread.

If you are not interested in Fenix and are never going to be interested in it, then what are you doing posting here? If you have something other than this topic to say, create another thread in off topic or in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks.

fishybawb said:
Where's the Wiz dev forum, just out of interest?
Currently it's under General & Development (Pandora) but it's not public at the moment. I think it was mainly aimed at those who will have their games supplied on the NAND, beta testers, and people developing for the Wiz.

I'm sure when the Wiz is released it may have its own section on the forums, or possibly the Wiz should come under GP2X as it's full name is the GP2X Wiz! Not quite sure though, I might open up a discussion with the rest of the Extreme Team later on today.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Currently it's under General & Development (Pandora) but it's not public at the moment. I think it was mainly aimed at those who will have their games supplied on the NAND, beta testers, and people developing for the Wiz.

I'm sure when the Wiz is released it may have its own section on the forums, or possibly the Wiz should come under GP2X as it's full name is the GP2X Wiz! Not quite sure though, I might open up a discussion with the rest of the Extreme Team later on today.
There are a number of (non-prototype owning) people here working on stuff for the Wiz, myself included, so it'd be cool to have access to a dedicated forum rather than lumping it all in one of the others :)

fishybawb said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

There are a number of (non-prototype owning) people here working on stuff for the Wiz, myself included, so it'd be cool to have access to a dedicated forum rather than lumping it all in one of the others :)

I will see what others say, it may be the case that the current Wiz Dev is mainly for the hardware/firmware side of the console.

I have opened a thread with the rest of the Extreme team and hopefully we will have a solution which may open up either a temp sticky somewhere or even we may be able to come up with and idea that we can ask Hando if he could implement for us.

In the meantime, if you need anything testing let me know!

If any of you are interested if your project will run on the Wiz and if you don't yet have a Wiz, then compile it on Fenix 0.84 and I can test it for you.

That would certainly be interesting to know. I see you have already tested Altitude (one of my games) which didn't seem to work. Could you also try my other games and see if they work?
All except "Epic Rocks" are compiled with Fenix 0.84, and they can be found here : http://neotron-games.blogspot.com/

Imerion said:

If any of you are interested if your project will run on the Wiz and if you don't yet have a Wiz, then compile it on Fenix 0.84 and I can test it for you.
That would certainly be interesting to know. I see you have already tested Altitude (one of my games) which didn't seem to work. Could you also try my other games and see if they work?
All except "Epic Rocks" are compiled with Fenix 0.84, and they can be found here : http://neotron-games.blogspot.com/

Yes of course, I will try them post haste :)

Addition: Okay Smallball works fine, what's different between the video modes with Altitude and Smallball? I think this is what is mucking some games up. Is one in 8 bit or something?

Addition: Okay Smallball works fine, what's different between the video modes with Altitude and Smallball? I think this is what is mucking some games up. Is one in 8 bit or something?

Yes, Altitude uses 8 bit. If that is what is causing the problem, then Beatbox should work as well, but none of the older ones will. Thanks for the help!

Imerion said:
Yes, Altitude uses 8 bit. If that is what is causing the problem, then Beatbox should work as well, but none of the older ones will. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome :).

Are you able to recompile the older games as 16 bit?

Okay I have some good news, the latest firmware update adds 8 bit mode so 8 bit Fenix now works, I will go test all the 8 bit games and update the list. I did quickly test Istappen as it was still on my SD card, and that worked so it's looking good :)

Okay I have some good news, the latest firmware update adds 8 bit mode so 8 bit Fenix now works, I will go test all the 8 bit games and update the list. I did quickly test Istappen as it was still on my SD card, and that worked so it's looking good

Nice! Then I won't have to recompile them.
I just noticed that Epic Rocks is on the Works-list. That one was compiled with Fenix 0.92 (Ultimate Fenix for GP2X). I guess that means that runtime works as well.
A question about Epic Rocks btw; how fast did it run? Because the GP2X version has some big problems with slowdown unless the game runs overclocked. But I guess the faster Wiz shouldn't have any problems with it. If that is the case, I might add some of the effects I previously removed from it, and release a nicer looking version only for the Wiz.

Imerion said:
Okay I have some good news, the latest firmware update adds 8 bit mode so 8 bit Fenix now works, I will go test all the 8 bit games and update the list. I did quickly test Istappen as it was still on my SD card, and that worked so it's looking good
Nice! Then I won't have to recompile them.
I just noticed that Epic Rocks is on the Works-list. That one was compiled with Fenix 0.92 (Ultimate Fenix for GP2X). I guess that means that runtime works as well.
A question about Epic Rocks btw; how fast did it run? Because the GP2X version has some big problems with slowdown unless the game runs overclocked. But I guess the faster Wiz shouldn't have any problems with it. If that is the case, I might add some of the effects I previously removed from it, and release a nicer looking version only for the Wiz.

It seemed to run perfectly smooth on the Wiz :)

Back