WLAN disable powersaving automatically

turbochop

Still Fresh
I've recieved my shiny new silver 1 Ghz unit, halleluja! I was doubly surprised by it's arrival because usps tracking said it was still in San Francisco. This new unit is wonderful: BOTH sd card slots work, the nubs are worlds better (the right nubs is slightly iffy, but its still better than my old unit), the USB port WORKS, the WIFI is no longer spotty (downloading pnds from pndmanager at a solid 175 KB/s, is that optimal?)  and the system is obviously snappier all around. The only real blemish with my pandy is the battery cover, It's bent a little on one side. Any suggestions to flatten it out? Lastly, the backside of my old unit was returned... okay? Cool, spare parts haha. Now I can have a silver unit with black shoulder buttons.

I must say that I'm very happy with my console, and I can't wait to kill everyones scores on Comp4All. :)

Order: #001655

Pandora 1Ghz Edition

Serial #   120002000251

Just FYI, I'm still using my #008 and #045 original Pandora's, the old first-batch, almost every day.

I can't wait until I can afford a new 1ghz version, though, so you guys who have them are lucky indeed!   :)

downloading pnds from pndmanager at a solid 175 KB/s, is that optimal?
I think that may be the limit of the Pandora server. Whenever I do any updates I consistently get around 180KB/s for each one, whether it's updating a single PND or multiple. I max out at around 700KB/s (ie, one, two, and three PNDs at once I get 180KB/s each, the fourth and fifth things start slowing down a little)So yeah, try downloading multiple PNDs at once and see how it works out.

I did indeed notice the that each PND downloaded at 175 KB/s, and all was good with the world. I then went to use the built in OS updater, which wiped out my wifi. One reflash later, and it's now back to its old shenanigans: spotty at best, downright critical existence failure at worst, and doing the sudo power saving command does nothing. :( Oh well, it was real nice while it lasted.... *sniff*

*Edit*

It just occured to me, but could it be possible that the latest super zaxxon on the forums is different from the release that was on my Pandy when I received it? If so, I wonder if I could get my hands on it. It would explain why my wifi tanked: Maybe theres a release with better wifi support. I'm just spit balling here.

*Edit again*

I'm going to try a reflash, because I really want to get the most out of my Pandy. It could be anything though: Maybe installing the Community codec pack messed something up (too much crap on the NAND?), perhaps its an issue with eawpats, I going to find out darn it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure there might be an artificial limit in pnd manager itself but there isn't one on the server (at least not one the repo sets and deffo not as small as 175 kbps).

Cloudef or B-ZaR will know for sure.

The 175 KB/s limit isn't bugging me, in fact I thought it was great that OPT (as far as I saw) sorted out the Wifi issue, it might have been 175 KB/s but at least it was steady. What's bugging me is that my new console is suddenly exhibiting the old wifi issues again

*Edit*

After doing some testing, I think I found that it was the power management (old news). But that's a little strange, as I didn't have issues when I first got the unit. Are OPT disabling Wifi power management before shipping them out? I really don't know haha! Is there a way to run the sudo command on startup?

A normal startup script will run as root, not requiring "sudo". The scripts should be stored in /etc/init.d and invoked by symlinking to the script from /etc/rc5.d

As root just create a file "myscript" in /etc/init.d containing the commands you want to execute. Then "ln -s /etc/init.d/myscript /etc/rc5.d/S99myscript" and myscript will be automatically run on boot.

Will that work before the radio is enabled? When I invoke the power saving command before enabling wifi I get an error: Does not exist. Or something like that.

Create a script like this and put it into /etc/network/if-up.d/

#!/bin/bash
iwconfig wlan0 rate 54m power offmake it executable with "sudo chmod a+x /etc/network/if-up.d/power-off (or whatever your script is called)then "sudo vi /etc/network/interface", remove the hash (#) from in front of all the lines in the "wlan0" section and add this line to that section

post-up /etc/network/if-up.d/power-offOr whatever you named your script. I named my power-off, obviously.Reboot and it should run that script every time you connect to a network.

Also useful, add ntpdate as a post-up so that it resets your clock when you connect.

edit: actually I need to look at this some more. It's only getting called once, when the system starts up, before the wifi actually comes online (which isn't useful). It's supposed to be called every time the network connects. Strange, what have I done wrong...

Create a script like this and put it into /etc/network/if-up.d
Ah yes, this is how it *should* be done, not in /etc/init.d - forgot you only want it to run when wifi is enabled.

No idea why it doesnt work right. Will try to help figure this out.

(Edit: Mods, please consider moving this to a new thread "WLAN disable powersaving automatically" or something similar).

Back