Word On The Mobos?

Well, it's up to you if you want to wait for Pandoras to actually be shipped before putting down your money, but the first batch just got 50 more units(who knows how many are left) thanks to the N64 rush, so it's either preorder now and (hopefully) get a shiny new Pandora within a few months, or wait about half a year until the next batch can start shipping. The software library will be vastly matured by then, but if you want in on the action as it happens I'd say go for it. And if you're worried about reputability, Craigix and the rest of the team are adamant about getting this thing finished, working, and shipping, and were already prominent members of the GP32X community and own online shops whose reputations are sort of staked in this, too. All that being said it's up to you really, so do whatever you're more comfortable with. :)

Tensuke said:
And also, the nubs have a lead time of 28 weeks, or about 7 months. It could take less, but that's probably a good estimate for how long it'll be until ALL the parts for batch 2 are ready.
We don't actually know that, it was just inferred from when Craig said he was ordering 8000 more. MWeston then came along and said it was the OMAPs they would be waiting on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transmition said:
So, should I pre-order? I am a youth, so I don't exactly have my own credit card to pay (I would need to use my parents' card).
One must understand, I am somewhat uncomfortable giving out credit card information to a company that has not shipped any units of its product yet. On the other hand, I want to get a pandora prior to January :/
If you can't afford the risk, don't take the gamble. Even if it's a sure thing, you shouldn't spend someone else's money. Personally, I think it's just not a good idea. It's how credit problems start.
If you have the cash and were just using your parents credit card as a payment medium, and they were OK with this, that'd different. Imagine giving your parents the money first to use their credit card, and ask yourself if you're ok with that, knowing it might still be Two Months (tm) before the first batch ships.

Ok, so lets say I want a pandora, but I dont want one from the first batch due to it is its first release; and the you guys (openpandora ltd.) are going to be releasing in mini-batches par say. What would be my best option? I want to know, so I can make a quick decision if I have to get a last one from the first batch or not.

ninjamonkey said:
Ok, so lets say I want a pandora, but I dont want one from the first batch due to it is its first release; and the you guys (openpandora ltd.) are going to be releasing in mini-batches par say. What would be my best option? I want to know, so I can make a quick decision if I have to get a last one from the first batch or not.
FYI, the only OpenPandora Ltd person in this thread is craigix. You might already know that, but I thought it was worth clarifying just in case. :)

The mini-batches I mentioned earlier were in reference to PCB production only - and that's unofficial information dredged from my memory. From the point of view of the buyer (you, me, everyone else in the thread apart from Craig) there are only two batches: The first batch of 4,000, and the second batch of 4,000 which will be up to 6 months away. So that's your choice basically.

ninjamonkey said:

there is a first batch, which can pre-order now.
or you can wait 7 months for the next batch.
or you can order one from the ~100 craig sold to web-stores. ;)

i suggest you read this thread about the second batch: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50093-another-8000-nubs-to-go

heres a quote from that thread, and IIRC craig already ordered the nubs
craigix said:
It looks like the lead times on batch two are 28 weeks - and we don't even have an order placed yet :(

it seems really...bad.. that no more will be made for at least 7 months, I mean, supply and demand anyone? once it is released and those 4,000 sell out and you have another 5,000 (at least?) people wanting to buy one what are the chances they're going to hold on for 7 months?

Paradox said:
it seems really...bad.. that no more will be made for at least 7 months, I mean, supply and demand anyone? once it is released and those 4,000 sell out and you have another 5,000 (at least?) people wanting to buy one what are the chances they're going to hold on for 7 months?

I think it's more of a supply issue then anything, the demand may be high but that's the quickest they can bring out a 2nd batch. Also I guess people will have to wait and then they could advertise a bit when the time comes around and the 2nd batch arrives.

If people really want one they should order now or miss out.

I also imagine that a few will turn up on eBay but for over-inflated prices. Though considering how rare they will be it's kind of a given.

Paradox said:

Yea we all understand that, but it's not their fault, in the link posted earlier it does explain that the lead time for some of the parts are that long, especially TI who makes the ARM processor. All companies have that lead time at the moment, the difference is that they can buy in bulk to smooth it out most of the time. We don't have that luxury.
The only good side to it is it gives them a much earned breather. (Enforced breather) Also they get to concentrate on other areas of Pandora.

My understanding was that the motherboard order was for bare PCBs, the laminate of fiberglass and copper. Typically this would be a 2 week turn-round minimum from the factory, and then shipping to the pick and place facility where the components are soldered on. It is the p&p facility which can handle 400 boards/day - so they probably get to start once the cases are confirmed - that really is the point of no return cost wise. (but there are 105 populated and tested boards already waiting for cases).

WizardStan said:
If you have the cash and were just using your parents credit card as a payment medium, and they were OK with this, that'd different. Imagine giving your parents the money first to use their credit card, and ask yourself if you're ok with that, knowing it might still be Two Months (tm) before the first batch ships.

This is what I meant. I have sent an email stating that I wish to buy a unit. Hopefully there will be some left.

Back