Worth It To Invest In A Caanoo?

crow_riot said:
u9i said:
I am organising a coding competition which will start very soon. Hopefully it should help the current drought in homebrew :)

Maybe you will participate?

theme? i just got my caanoo yesterday ... maybe interested.

crow_riot is interested... now i know it will be a success :) ;) You bought a new Caanoo, or you only had a Wiz and Pandora before? I thought you had a Caanoo, but that just shows how good my memory is.

The theme will most likely be open, but there will be a little twist to it. I hope to have everything sorted out by the end of the week.

/Uni

Last edited by a moderator:
zeldarocks said:
u9i said:
I am organising a coding competition which will start very soon. Hopefully it should help the current drought in homebrew :)

I wish I could but alas, I lack any substantial experience :(

How about drawing? Not an artist? Music? Game design? Or maybe you are just really good at crashing a game... Everyone has something they're good at ;-) ;) ;)

I'm using the All-Stars + Mario World ROM and it runs fine at 400khz. The only odd thing I noticed is sometimes the clouds in Mario Bros. 1 have a little line of transparent pixels around them, but it's barely noticeable.

u9i said:
zeldarocks said:
u9i said:

I wish I could but alas, I lack any substantial experience :(

How about drawing? Not an artist? Music? Game design? Or maybe you are just really good at crashing a game... Everyone has something they're good at ;-) ;) ;)
You mean like a beta tester?

u9i said:
crow_riot is interested... now i know it will be a success :) ;)
of course ;)

You bought a new Caanoo, or you only had a Wiz and Pandora before? I thought you had a Caanoo, but that just shows how good my memory is.
just added the caanoo to the collection for something unannounced that should get the first release on it (and then possibly wiz and pandora ports).

The theme will most likely be open, but there will be a little twist to it. I hope to have everything sorted out by the end of the week.
sounds good to me. i'm looking forward to your announcement!

So, what's the overall verdict from the community?

I should have enough money to get it in about 8 weeks if everything goes as planned...

EDIT: One more quick question: do you guys expect the Caanoo to be as expansive software-wise and compatibility-wise as the Wiz is now in a year's time for instance?

In other words; was the Wiz lacking in optimized, quality software at 6 months post-release as the Caanoo is now?

We all have a different motive then you. For everyone else here it is a benefit if you buy it because it means more users which means more software.

So yes, buy! buy! :)

I dont remember if the Wiz was in a similar situation. Probably. But to be honest, you should not buy a caanoo on what will come. Buy it for what it has now because whatever you might be waiting for, might never come.

crow_riot said:
just added the caanoo to the collection for something unannounced that should get the first release on it (and then possibly wiz and pandora ports).
Hey wait, what about a audiorace port? (with more enhanced features, like more lightning effects, better track analysis, mp3 support, haptic/gyro-sensor support, ... :p)
So I waiting for the release of something new for the caanoo. :)

@u9i's competition
Since I cannot really code something useful, I would like to ask if someone needs ideas for his project? I've too many of them... ;)

u9i said:
We all have a different motive then you. For everyone else here it is a benefit if you buy it because it means more users which means more software.

So yes, buy! buy! :)

I dont remember if the Wiz was in a similar situation. Probably. But to be honest, you should not buy a caanoo on what will come. Buy it for what it has now because whatever you might be waiting for, might never come.

Although, the thing is, I want to know that I have something which I can rely on to meet my MAME, SNES, Genesis/Sega CD, NES, GBC, and GBA needs... And I don't know whether the Caanoo will fill those needs substantially... What can you guys tell me with regards to that?

lenrlad said:
crow_riot said:
Hey wait, what about a audiorace port? (with more enhanced features, like more lightning effects, better track analysis, mp3 support, haptic/gyro-sensor support, ... :p )

Sure an enhanced port of Audiorace would be nice for everyone ... but I can't help feel some sort of personal connection to Crow-riot's latest project. It just feels ... epic ... to me at least. Though one could call me biased.

Hehe...

Okay zeldarocks,
I don't play much emulator games since I never owned some of them.
But for the emus I played with (only few famous games, but okay) they look good.
GBA emu plays most of the games I tried fullspeed with some slowdowns here and there (overclocked 700MHz, but don't know if it really was).
For the few games I testet with the "old" PocketSNES version they were okay, but if you belive in the post about the "new" version you will get a very good SNES emu.
And the good old MAME plays nearly all games (not NEOGEO) fine and fullspeed, AND it supports the "wifi ready" ( ;) ) multiplayer.

I'm not a emulator freak and I didn't play much with these (or nothing) but as far as I know they work more or less fine. Since some consoles have multiple emus you can try wich one plays your game better. :)

I don't know if my post helps you to decide to buy a caanoo, but like u9i wrote: "So yes, buy! buy! :)"

Hmm... I think I trust the community to support the caanoo and help make the right decision... I think I will get the caanoo, the only remaining issue is the current availability of the Wiz; the fact remains that the OLED screen is prone to burn in and degradation, coupled with the fact that support for the console may cease in terms of available hardware components such as spare batteries or other necessities, not to mention the fact that the Thinkgeek versions apparently mess with full compatibility... Taking those factors into consideration, should I still look at the Wiz as an alternative?

I don't play emulators either, so i cant help. But yeah, support for the caanoo will probably outlive support for the wiz.

traylorpark said:
lenrlad said:
crow_riot said:
Hey wait, what about a audiorace port? (with more enhanced features, like more lightning effects, better track analysis, mp3 support, haptic/gyro-sensor support, ... :p )

Sure an enhanced port of Audiorace would be nice for everyone ... but I can't help feel some sort of personal connection to Crow-riot's latest project. It just feels ... epic ... to me at least. Though one could call me biased.

Wait, whut? What latest project? Did i miss it or are you two in cahoots? :)

I'm on the verge of making a decision; the only things I need to know are: What would the typical lifespan of the Wiz OLED be? And, could one use the MAME and SNES emulators (on the Wiz) through GINGE to offset any compatibility issues?

zeldarocks said:
I'm on the verge of making a decision; the only things I need to know are: What would the typical lifespan of the Wiz OLED be? And, could one use the MAME and SNES emulators (on the Wiz) through GINGE to offset any compatibility issues?

i dont think there's a typical lifespan, the device isn't that old to give definite numbers.
i have my wiz for ~1.5 years, i'm using it every now and then, and the display is still fine (despite that i've opened the wiz myself for repair).
i guess you can be lucky and have a display that is ok, or not, and you get the pixel plague.
i think there are also devices out in the wilds, which are older and used more often that still work fine, especially the ones sent out to developers, but somebody could prove me wrong (pickle?)

zeldarocks said:
What do you mean? :huh:
Play Mame/Snes (GP2X) through Ginge on a Wiz? So far I know native emulators often work better. Not only speed, but also compatibility (at least I think so ;) ).
If you mean Play the Wiz versions on the caanoo through Ginge, mame is actually there, too. And it has better Caanoo support than a Ginge-ified version. And as said the "new" PocketSNES (same than the Wiz currently has) seems to be released soon, so there wouldn't be any needings there.

One more thing; regarding the ThinkGeek Wiz, is that supposed to be some sort of final batch alloted by GPH to appease the Caanoo-haters? Or is GPH going to continue manufacturing them? Furthermore, how long is the discount expected to last?

We dont know GPh's plans with the Wiz, but it looks like they got a batch manufactured a few months back and have just about sold those on. playasia no longer lists the Wiz as available so maybe the remains of the batch are being sold through thinkgeek?

Will GPh get another batch of Wiz built? who knows? It probably depends on how quickly the last batch sold through and how good recent Caanoo uptake is (which has just had a price cut at playasia = US$ 134.90).

My guess is they will focus on Caanoo now for a while.

Back