Wtb Computer Components

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
I am trying to build my first computer and i need the parts. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on new stuff because chances are i wont be able to actually comnplete this project. So i figured you guys might have some stuff lying about that you would want to get rid of. Motherboards, cpus, hdds, etc. Maybe not. Name your prices

well I got a old Pentium 1 motherboard sitting here and about 32mb of very old looking ram along with a 133mhz or something CPU :p

My wife made me throw out my 386 33 mHz a couple years ago. It had a whole 4MB of memory and a 128MB harddrive. It was awesome. It would have been perfect for you. :D

i've got about 15 motherboards all pulls from office computers (all with cpu's)

various ram/cards out of them also, but no hard drives, psu's or cd drives.

make me an offer and what sorta spec you're looking for (most of the stuff is set up for 700 mhz ish)

Jaw posted on Sep 10 2006 at 08:20 AM said:

make me an offer and what sorta spec you're looking for (most of the stuff is set up for 700 mhz ish)

Whats the fastest you have? 700mhz is pretty good but the faster the better. These motherboards are atx?

Anyone have any cases?

By the way, i am in the US so it would probably only make sense if you are also in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyvve posted on Sep 10 2006 at 11:48 AM said:

Whats the fastest you have? 700mhz is pretty good but the faster the better. These motherboards are atx?

Anyone have any cases?

By the way, i am in the US so it would probably only make sense if you are also in the US.
This board is probably 2/5 American 2/5 English and 1/5 other.

Just look around new egg. Another option is wait till the day after thanksgiving. You will probably be able to spend 200-300 dollars and get something thats worth a good bit more just because they build 235824096 of them and want you to shop on that day. A final option is buy a bare bones computer from a local computer store and add parts as you get the money. Usually it will be a case, a power supply and a processor...sometimes more.

Best of luck

PSyMastR posted on Sep 10 2006 at 12:02 PM said:

Anyone have any cases?

Huh?

greenmikey posted on Sep 10 2006 at 03:29 PM said:
Just look around new egg. Another option is wait till the day after thanksgiving. You will probably be able to spend 200-300 dollars and get something thats worth a good bit more just because they build 235824096 of them and want you to shop on that day. A final option is buy a bare bones computer from a local computer store and add parts as you get the money. Usually it will be a case, a power supply and a processor...sometimes more.

Best of luck

Newegg seems to be only new stuff which is a bit more expensive than i want. ideally i would like something in the 1.5-2.0ghz range because when im done with it i would like to use it as a emulation machine. Maybe i just havent looked there enough. Good advice on the thanksgiving stuff.

If you are going to piecemail a computer together, it is extremely important to do lots of research to find out what pieces will work together.

I'm not sure how much you know about computers so ignore me if you know your way around.

make sure you get the right speed and type of memory and correct socket processor for your motherboard you end up getting.

You also have to make sure you get the right connection on your video card, depending on when your motherboard was made, standards have changed recently (a few years ago it was primarily agp but now most are going pci-express)

other variables like ide/sata hard drives and soon enough sata optical drives.

Just be careful buying used, you may have more troubles buying pieces to match what you have already bought to get the performance you should expect for the price if you grab up a few pieces of older hardware.

Oh ya, to make things even crappier..memory price wars are over so they are going up up up. :(

again, best of luck..whats your price range I'm sure people around here should be able to spot deals if they know what you are looking for.

PSyMastR posted on Sep 10 2006 at 01:02 PM said:

Anyone have any cases?

he is talking about the gp32x member's nationalities (unless it's super awesome crossbreed motherboard :D )

Yeah i mostly understand about the different parts and making sure they work with each other. Mostly. My budget for the whole build is ideally no more than $200 USD. Probably not possible. thats why i was hoping for some sweet deals here. But if anyone knows of some good deals on the web let me know.

I just got to gp32 hardcore status. Awesome. Kinda sucks it came in the marketplace though....

Fyvve posted on Sep 11 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
Yeah i mostly understand about the different parts and making sure they work with each other. Mostly. My budget for the whole build is ideally no more than $200 USD. Probably not possible. thats why i was hoping for some sweet deals here. But if anyone knows of some good deals on the web let me know.

I just got to gp32 hardcore status. Awesome. Kinda sucks it came in the marketplace though....

$200.00 is plenty, just slap together a crappy computer with onboard video and a Celeron.

EDIT: http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD_mobo/index.html

Decent processor WITHOUT HEATSKINK+FAN! for $100

i_am_a_noob posted on Sep 11 2006 at 09:05 PM said:

$200.00 is plenty, just slap together a crappy computer with onboard video and a Celeron.

Right but that only leaves $100 for the rest of the computer.

1.5 - 2 ghz is way too much for plain emulation. Depends what you want to emulate though. I have had a machine running solely emulators which was clocked at 650mhz and it did NeoGeo and CPS2 games without slowdowns as long as you wouldn`t use any screen filters like supereagle or similar. I think you will be fine with an 800mhz to 900 mhz cpu, and you need a good gpu (well... "good"). I had an old geforce 2 which did the trick even for N64 emulation. You should be just fine with a setup like that. Also, at least 512 MB ram, because you will need it for stuff that requires a lot of ram, like neogeo.

Fair enough. Any idea where i can get older parts like that? i dont have any laying around. N64 is about as advanced as i want. I want to make it small too so i am htinking a micro atx MB.

Micro ATX... hmm... look on ebay... that would be the only idea that I have.

Fyvve posted on Sep 12 2006 at 11:19 AM said:

Onboard Video/ Sound. All that's left is ram and case(if u have an old case just use that) and if you have an old computer lying around, or know someone pawning one off for cheap, take the hard drive(s) and disk drive(s) from that.

Fyvve posted on Sep 12 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

For $165 you can build a PC with a 2.13ghz Celeron D Prescott, 512MB RAM, some cheap motherboard with onboard video, a 40GB hard drive, a cheapass power supply that I wouldn't trust, and a cheap case.

Anhaedra posted on Sep 19 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
Fyvve posted on Sep 12 2006 at 04:19 PM said:

For $165 you can build a PC with a 2.13ghz Celeron D Prescott, 512MB RAM, some cheap motherboard with onboard video, a 40GB hard drive, a cheapass power supply that I wouldn't trust, and a cheap case.

ya, for that extra $35 get yourself a cool looking case with a nice psu.

Back