X86 Windows 7 Gaming Handheld Anounced.

hosant

Via Engadget.
Dual analog (Dpad!?)
1.5 GHz Intel Oak Trail CPU. (atom variant)
Intel GMA 600.
64GB SSD
4.8-inch, 1024 x 600 capacitive touch screen.

9-13-10-ocosmos600-009-1284494819.jpg

Interesting...

There was something that went over my head, I think I lost it around "gaming console without buttons". But yeah, nowadays iphones get listed as gaming consoles here and there. Damn you illiterate masses.

Edit: If those dark squares in the center of those wannabe d-pads were buttons I... I don't know.

kuru said:
There was something that went over my head, I think I lost it around "gaming console without buttons". But yeah, nowadays iphones get listed as gaming consoles here and there. Damn you illiterate masses.
Well, this has analog nubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a bit uncomfortable, to be honest, but if its got a good price I think it could be trouble for the Pandora ..

hosant said:
kuru said:
Well, this has analog rubs.
It's great for sensitively applying sunscreen?

kuru said:
hosant said:
kuru said:
How else are we gonna play Japanese Rape-sims games on this thing?

hosant said:
kuru said:
hosant said:
kuru said:
How else are we gonna play Japanese Rape-sims games on this thing?
I lost you there.

Also, *woosh*

edit: size=7

This think is definitly a step in the right directon. I still think the controls arent that good looking, but at least they have them compared to other X86 based UMPC's. I want for sure!

Oh man, something like this probably has a battery capacity that's probably under half Pandora's and likely under half the watt/MHz power efficiency (this isn't like the lower performance Atoms), with over 2x the MHz... there has also been claim that Moorestown dropped PCI in order to improve power consumption, but that could have mostly been for idle. Still have to wonder if Oak Trail has the same TDP points. I'd honestly be surprised if it surpasses 2 hours of battery life while actually gaming.

Here's hoping that Windows 7 is actually at all suited for this sort of interface, and that you won't be trying to touch at tiny, tiny icons. I also hope no one actually tries running Starcraft 2 on this, because they're going to be in for a pretty big surprise if they expect anything resembling a recent PC game to be playable on it. Should be good for WoW though.

Kudos for someone else actually trying to combine a keyboard and gaming controls (aside from Pandora there was word of that one Korean handheld). It's just unfortunate that usually when someone tries putting gaming buttons on a handheld we get something like this. This is Wiz pre-launch all over again.. and we all remember how great ED said that was for console style games..

Exophase said:
It's just unfortunate that usually when someone tries putting gaming buttons on a handheld we get something like this. This is Wiz pre-launch all over again.. and we all remember how great ED said that was for console style games..

They had Smash TV and robotron in mind when they designed this.

Do note that this is being done by another Korean company. So far, only OP and Korea companies have been releasing mobile devices that have some sort of gaming controls but are poised to be more general purpose and higher end than Chinese PMPs.

.... also only Korean companies have tried pushing handhelds with two d-pads.

Exophase said:
Do note that this is being done by another Korean company. So far, only OP and Korea companies have been releasing mobile devices that have some sort of gaming controls but are poised to be more general purpose and higher end than Chinese PMPs.

.... also only Korean companies have tried pushing handhelds with two d-pads.

There's sony's psp-like android phone....

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/08/11/sony-ericsson-to-release-psp-like-android-smartphone-slide-out-gamepad/

androidsonypspengadgetmockup.jpg

Okay, so there are sliders beneath both "pads" somehow.

Now I feel much more like the thing needs buttons. No, not just shoulder buttons, not buttons on the keyboard..

(on the other hand, will OP finally take down that "most powerful gaming handheld" claim?)

I've just been checking out Ocosmos's site and they have some pretty cool things! The OMOS input thing looks pretty interesting, as it's not just a joystick/d-pad, but a combination of sliders and a load of buttons. There is a pic of the buttons available @ http://www.engadget.com/photos/ocos...-and-a-host-of-slick-sliding-devices/#3362476 and the main page for the OMOS stuff is @ http://www.ocosmos.co.kr/eng/eng_03_07.html.

This OCS1 looks like the baby of the bunch of things they are developing, with the OCS5 being a phone and the OCS7 being a bit of a beast (also featuring proper buttons!). It'll be cool to see whether any of these other handhelds actually get produced.

Back