Release Xargon

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Xargon, an SDL port of the original DOS Game from Epic Megagame.

preview1.png

The game is now freeware and freely redistribuable, so here is the complete registered version (all 3 episodes), with emulated Adlib for the music.

History log
=========

build 03
-----------

• Fixed config file permission rights
  • Fixed glitch in map
build 02
-----------

• Fixed crash when reading instructions
build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Adapted to Pandora (keymap adapted)
  • Small bug in the beginning of the Map of ep1 (minor graphical bug)

For those interested, the diff against the git is here: http://ptitseb.openpandora.org/xargon_pandora.diff

Last edited:
Dat license... "They can't release a game that in any way resembles either of my games"

I haven't seen anything saying that he released the games (ie, the data) themselves, just the source code, in which case releasing the games is actually a direct violation of the license he created.

Not that I think it's wrong, I just... it's confusing, the way its worded, and I don't know if he did actually intend to release the full registered version for free or if he just wanted people to play with the code.

Dat license... "They can't release a game that in any way resembles either of my games"

I haven't seen anything saying that he released the games (ie, the data) themselves, just the source code, in which case releasing the games is actually a direct violation of the license he created.

Not that I think it's wrong, I just... it's confusing, the way its worded, and I don't know if he did actually intend to release the full registered version for free or if he just wanted people to play with the code.
Look at the readme from the github https://github.com/Malvineous/xargonand also on http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Xargon.html (plus I think there is something about that in a dosbox related forum somewhere).

Last edited by a moderator:
Says that game is freeware while linking to the license which says the source code is freeware (no mention of the assets)
Look at the readme from the github https://github.com/Malvineous/xargon
This github is not owned by Allen Pilgrim, and the readme simply says to get the data files from classicdosgames.com.
This really bothers me now. Allen makes a clear statement about the code but I can't find him discussing the resources other than "can't release a game that in any way resembles either of my games" which honestly sounds like he *didn't* want the data files released.

Where did he release the source code? The only source of it I can find is on Classic Dos Games and the only note about it being freeware is in that license file included with it, and other pages that simply link back to it.

edit: Ok, apparently someone from classicdosgames.com tracked him down and asked permission before putting it up, I'm guessing the questionable license wording was just "what, that old thing? Yeah, sure, I don't care, do whatever, oh, except maybe..."

That would explain everything nicely.

Nice game :)

I have found a little bug....when in main menu select "Instructions" and scroll down....after the text section "Special Notes" if you continue press down the game exit to XFCE.

Nice game :)

I have found a little bug....when in main menu select "Instructions" and scroll down....after the text section "Special Notes" if you continue press down the game exit to XFCE.
Ah, a segfault in the instructions? I'll try to take a look (not high priority probably).

Hi !

Just had the same bug as Farox:

./ep1.sh: line 33:  4225 Segmentation fault      ./xrfile01
Nice game by the way, thanks ptitSeb :)

EDIT: saved games also appear to be lost upon restarting the game !

Cheers, Magic Sam

I didn't saw the "Edit" @magic_sam, so I didn't had the opportunity to look at that save issue (anything in the log about permission or thing like that?). I fixed the crash with the instruction...

build 02

-----------

• Fixed crash when reading instructions

Hi :)

It's a bit rough, to say the least, but chmod a+rwx on config.xr1 and save_0.xr1 did the trick.

config.xr1 lacked all permissions before, all the bits were set to 0.

Cheers, Magic Sam

It's a bit rough, to say the least, but chmod a+rwx on config.xr1 and save_0.xr1 did the trick.

config.xr1 lacked all permissions before, all the bits were set to 0.

Cheers, Magic Sam
Strange, those 2 files are created by the game and are not part of the PND. I'm surprised the permission are wrong (I have tested on a FAT32 SDCard, so I didn't have those kind of issue).

@ptitSeb: I'm on ext2 here, and I also don't understand what's wrong with the permissions. The umask is set to 0022 on appdata/xargon, so that config.xr1 should have had some permissions set by default...

On a side note, I'm going from level to level, without ever getting bored, which is quite a feat nowadays !

This is really a great game, thanks again ptitSeb for porting it to the Pandora :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Just finished the first episode with high score: 154345 !

Started the second one, had again to chmod a+rwx config.xr2 in order to save my game.

There's definitely something wrong with how the game handles these config.xr* files on EXT file systems. When first created, they have no permissions set at all (0000), while saved games are actually OK (0644). I guess the game uses these config.xr* files to keep track of saved games, hence the need for read / write permissions.  

Cheers, Magic Sam 

Just finished the first episode with high score: 154345 !

Started the second one, had again to chmod a+rwx config.xr2 in order to save my game.

There's definitely something wrong with how the game handles these config.xr* files on EXT file systems. When first created, they have no permissions set at all (0000), while saved games are actually OK (0644). I guess the game uses these config.xr* files to keep track of saved games, hence the need for read / write permissions.  

Cheers, Magic Sam 
I'll take a look at how thoses config files are created.

BTW: Good work completing 1st episode!

Hi again ;)

build 01

-----------

• Initial build
Regarding that small graphical bug, it also happens in the second episode :p Actually, it happens every time you find yourself for the first time on the world map, e.g after loading a saved game.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi again ;)

build 01

-----------

• Initial build
Regarding that small graphical bug, it also happens in the second episode :p Actually, it happens every time you find yourself for the first time on the world map, e.g after oading a saved game.

Cheers, Magic Sam
Ah ok. Probably some difference between Y variable of the player and some Y variable used for scrolling. I didn't spent much time on this one, as it's minor (in my point of view). A may take a second look into it at one time...

Ok, I fixed the config file creation right, and also fixed (well, hacked) the glitch in the map too.

build 03

-----------

• Fixed config file permission rights
  • Fixed glitch in map

Thanks ptitSeb for that new release !

Difficulty is ramping up nicely in the second episode, I've been stuck on the same level for a while now (have to jump from rope to rope, while avoiding bugs).

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back