Xbox 360 Question

J201605

Website
google.com
I am buying a 360 and a 1080p television very soon. I have a windows media center pc. It is my understanding that you can play videos from your pc through your 360 onto your tv. If I have a 1080p movie trailer and I wanted to watch it on my tv then could I play it on my tv through my 360. I understand that the 360 can do 1080p but i guess it has to be upscaled and isn't native like bluray. Basically the question is... will the trailer play at FULL 1080p bluray quality on my tv or will the 360 screw it up and turn it into an upscaled 720p or 1080i. It would be really helpful if someone could explain this to me because if i could play downloaded movies through my 360 on my tv at this resolution then that would be awesome and would be like having a bluray player.

Doesn't need to be. You can have Blu-Ray quality video without an actual Blu-Ray disc. Blu-Ray quality is not some kind of magical ultimate goal only achievable by Blu-Ray players.

To answer your question, yes you can get 1080i/p out of an Xbox 360. Video streamed from MCE can have a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) at 30 frames per second, and I assume that this is what comes out of the 360.

there was an update a few months ago that allowed the 360 to do something with the 1080 that it couldn't do before, so your 360 may need it before you can try, but upgrading is fairly simple.

I love my 360 , so i hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine.

Jackd posted on Dec 25 2006 at 09:31 PM said:
I am buying a 360 and a 1080p television very soon. I have a windows media center pc. It is my understanding that you can play videos from your pc through your 360 onto your tv. If I have a 1080p movie trailer and I wanted to watch it on my tv then could I play it on my tv through my 360. I understand that the 360 can do 1080p but i guess it has to be upscaled and isn't native like bluray. Basically the question is... will the trailer play at FULL 1080p bluray quality on my tv or will the 360 screw it up and turn it into an upscaled 720p or 1080i. It would be really helpful if someone could explain this to me because if i could play downloaded movies through my 360 on my tv at this resolution then that would be awesome and would be like having a bluray player.

Can you get downloaded movies at 1080P? That would take forever to DL I would think. Also how bad would the compression be?

You could just get the HD-DVD add on for the 360 to play High-def movies at 1080P. The picture is as good and even better in some cases than BR movies too. The only down side is that you have to buy or rent HD-DVDs rather than pirating the movies ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Dec 27 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
Jackd posted on Dec 25 2006 at 09:31 PM said:

Can you get downloaded movies at 1080P? That would take forever to DL I would think. Also how bad would the compression be?

You could just get the HD-DVD add on for the 360 to play High-def movies at 1080P. The picture is as good and even better in some cases than BR movies too. The only down side is that you have to buy or rent HD-DVDs rather than pirating the movies ;)
cant you pirate them onto blank blu-ray discs? They sell those :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back