Xbox Dvd-drive Making Me Go Apeshit!

___

Advanced Member
Ok, I bought a neat little xbox for around 80 euros out of a pawn shop, hotswapped the hdd and "upgraded" it a little using xboxhdm and the ndure xploit. Now I have transferred a couple of files to the (tiny) harddrive and would like to check if my xbmc installation can playback my divx movies.

Only problem is: THE STUPID DRIVE WON'T READ THEM!

It's a phillips VAD6035/21 which is supposed to be one of the best right after the old samsung type B as I read. I have tried to adjust the pot a little bit so that it reads about 640 ohms. The problem is, there is no real tutorial or confirmed source of information on the major websites that features working values for the pots. Has anyone here tweaked their xbox dvd-drive and happens to have the same as I do? Anyone with an idea of how I could improve the drive's compatibility? I will try to get some decent blanks that were recommended on xbox-scene.com but I am not sure if this will solve my problem.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Just set it up on your LAN and transfer your files over via FTP. That's what I do, I haven't put a disc in the drive in over a year.

Edit: Just realised that you didn't replace the HDD. That's what I'd recommend. Not sure about fixing the existing drive, but it should be fairly easy to replace.

yeah, a replacement would not be a lot of a hassle, thing is that it costs. Well not much but still.

Okay, if there really seems to be no solution to my problem, I will have to do everything over ftp. I did that already yesterday and transferred some stuff to the hdd.

You can use a PC drive, but it won't read original game discs only burned ones, and you'll have a hard time fitting it in the case. You just have to buy a Y power splitter from any computer store and use it with the hd power cord.

yes, i was told that before but I just dislike the idea of having another drive loosely on my xbox. Also I would have to install a switch of some sort as I can't use both drives at the same time. There are a few drives out there with hacked firmware and to my understanding you can flash them and they will read xbox originals. Just hard to get them.

I tweaked the pots on my xbox-dvd drive a little more and now it read my "platinum" cdrs without complaints if I burn em on mode1. I will check out some other blanks and see if it accepts them. This should be sufficient for my purposes.

cool u have made me want to mod my xbox now when a i get my 360 that is ;) i have looked around at a couple of sites and it looks fairly simple

i say fairly because something always will go wrong.....

just to say i went out today and bought myself a exploder cheat cartridge and splinter cell. well i got home after collage and stuck the exploder cd in BIG mistake i installed the drivers for that crappy thing and i couldn't get the damn thing to recognize my memory card :angry: so in the end i got so pissed off with the conflicting drivers i got the lappie from downstairs and followed some tutorials to install my exploder cartridge as a action replay one worked perfectly then :), what i also had to do was download a dodgey file transfer program so i could transfer the linux installer. well after transferring and following the tutorials word for word so nothing went wrong it actually worked :eek: now i can access my xbox threw ftp fine put homebrew on and some cool apps!

and the best part is i didnt have to open up my xbox B)

p.s if anyone wants to do the same pm me and i will send you the links to the websites i used and the downloads as i dont know if i can post them.

Well... opening the xbox and hotswapping the hdd was way simpler for me. I didn't want to buy crappy add-on hardware and also I didn't want to buy any of the games that were mentioned in the tutorials. It did the job for me perfectly.

BTW: I got the drive to read a lot of cd-rs now after tweaking the pot a little bit.

meh hot swapping and softmodding.

i just got an xecuter chip and put a new hard disk in, download and burn auto installer deluxe and you're good to go with whatever dash you fancy (xbox media center)

xnopasaranx said:
Well... opening the xbox and hotswapping the hdd was way simpler for me. I didn't want to buy crappy add-on hardware and also I didn't want to buy any of the games that were mentioned in the tutorials. It did the job for me perfectly.

BTW: I got the drive to read a lot of cd-rs now after tweaking the pot a little bit.
the reason i softmodded was becuase im shite at soldering if was any good i wouldnt have bothered :p

Last edited by a moderator:
tim0391 said:
xnopasaranx said:

the reason i softmodded was becuase im shite at soldering if was any good i wouldnt have bothered :p

most of the chips are solderless, can just put the adapter on and put the chip on that, its simple.

Samba Pa Ti said:
tim0391 said:
xnopasaranx said:

most of the chips are solderless, can just put the adapter on and put the chip on that, its simple.

ah well if/when i put a new hdd in it i will look into put in a mod chip if needed

depending what console you have it could be really easy 1.0-1.4 are pretty easy to mod, you get a solderless adapter which has 1 gold spring and put that in one of the little holes and make sure the adapter screw is tightened (it replaces a motherboard screw).

then swap out your hard disk for the new one, dont need to do anything to it.
(might have to get an xbox bios depending on your chip type and burn that to dvd, although auto installer deluxe has a selection of bioses)
get "auto installer deluxe" from the usual places (torrents) and burn to dvd, boot the console and put the auto installer disk in (it auto boots) then format your new hard disk and install your dash.

Back