Xevil

Ze_ro

Website
Visit site
XEvil Homepage Here.

Not sure if anyone has ever played this game, but I used to love playing it about 8 years ago or so. It's sort of a deathmatch platformer game... with all kinds of chaos going on. Could be pretty fun on a portable system.

The author seems to have pretty much abandoned it, but the source code for both the Unix and Windows versions is available... this game pre-dates SDL though, so the Unix version is written in straight Xlib, and I have no idea what the Windows version uses. Not sure how hard it would be to port it to the GP2X, but it's probably a good sign that the developers page mentions that it builds successfully on everything from SGI to DEC Alphas.

--Zero

Ze_ro posted on Dec 24 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
the Unix version is written in straight Xlib
We can run X apps directly on the GP2X...

Last edited by a moderator:
XEvil is a good game, I don't know how well it will run, it was a bit slow on my Sparcstation but there are various settings to improve the performance. It'll need scaling down, even the small viewport is 760x336

Orkie posted on Dec 24 2006 at 04:36 AM said:
Ze_ro posted on Dec 24 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
the Unix version is written in straight Xlib
We can run X apps directly on the GP2X...
I know, but I don't imagine that would result in a very playable game in this case (ie, the GP2X's stick would control the mouse cursor, not the game... not to mention speed issues and whatnot).

Parkydr posted on Dec 24 2006 at 06:50 AM said:
It'll need scaling down, even the small viewport is 760x336
Ah, damn, that's right... I'm not sure how feasible it is to scale things down. If the viewport is changed to match the GP2X's screen, you'd probably end up getting hit by stuff from off-screen so often that it would get pretty frustrating...

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the small view port option does half the size of the graphics, so there must be some scaling code there. There's quite a bit of text input and the X version has no sound so quite a bit of work but doable.

Back