Xgp First Picture??

DaveC posted on Aug 14 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
These clamshell designs make playing any vertical MAME games impossible, so even the original render is not to great, it is limiting. Is this thing some kind of phone too? it looks like a cross between an n-gage, an original GBA, and a GBA-SP. I certainly hope the scene doesn't go with this one ;)
I know. I was just comparing between those two supposed XGP designs. And you forgot to mention its PSP-like shiny plastic (that will leave oh so nice fingerprints every time you touch it). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
dont.like.it.

whats that numpad for?
The buttons are bad to press (at least they look like that)
the connection between screen and unit doesnt seem steble at all
and the display looks too shiny to play anywhere else than in you bed, under the blanket ^^

[sarcasm] Great we could have Atari Jaguar emulation with those controls!! [/sarcasm]

I think it hideous and wouldn't dream of letting anyone see me playing with that!! Kind of like a fat bird?!?

Add a swivel and fold down for the screen and it wouldn't be so bad. It hide the number pad and you'd be able to play it was a normal handheld. Plus some software recognition to know which way the screen is, so it's not all upside down.

I like the built in phone dialing pad, so we can call our friends anc family from our XGP or send faxes, what will they think of next. LMAO, PIMP. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i know it may be ugly - but surely its how it performs that counts? (including a sensible button config)

i think that a lot of computers / consoles have been a little on the ugly side over the years but still been fantastic machines

as they always say about games - and i quote `great graphics do not a game make`

some of the most fun games have awfull graphics - why is retro so popular? crap graphics by todays standards but fun gameplay that is all to rare these days.

dont get me wrong - i love my ps2 and my pc and could not live without them and the gp32 is amazing for retro ( i grew up with speccys and c64s ).

this is only my opinion and i do not mean to offend anyone , i just think we should wait and not judge a book by its cover.

what do you guys think? or am i talking a load of old poo?

Its not THAT ugly. It is a bad picture, the overall design is OK. It reminds me of a laptop, ngaga, and GBA all at once.

If it had a 400 mhz arm processor and a 2d/3d accelerator with 64 megs of ram and Linux based os. I dont think any of you would care is it were the ugliest thing in the world. As long as the controls are mapable and the screen is good res it's All Good. None of you know the xgp specs yet . I think if the xgp specs are better then the gpx2 specs attention will IMMIDETLY shift towards the xgp regardless of looks.

Brian89 posted on Aug 14 2005 at 08:33 PM said:
If it had a 400 mhz arm processor and a 2d/3d accelerator with 64 megs of ram and Linux based os. I dont think any of you would care is it were the ugliest thing in the world. As long as the controls are mapable and the screen is good res it's All Good. None of you know the xgp specs yet . I think if the xgp specs are better then the gpx2 specs attention will IMMIDETLY shift towards the xgp regardless of looks.
But.. we do know its specs.

http://newbie.gp32x.de/xgp/spec.htm

EDIT: AH!! It's a GIZ! http://kopan.apmsetup.net:8080/kglc/board/...isit/XGP/A5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And we also know that the screen res and aspect ratio is bad for emulators. 3D is not any use for emulators. So if you want emus a GP32 or GPx2 is better.

It's not very good looking but it is definetely better looking than the GPI plus if you close it, it looks a lot like PSP but using it as a GSM would be so difficult while talking because of the big size even when it is closed but Type B is definitely better than Type A design. By the way great links uuuuuup, thanx!

Just looking at it makes me fell ill....

Reminds me of those tacky 9999 in 1 brick games you see on the markets all the time.

wow you can turn the screen arround and fold it back, now thats nice.
so the desugn is actualy not that bad.

for me it looks like xgp will fail jsut couse its badly marketed and they refuse to give english information/conect to the international community.

Yeah, after watching the video, the design is tolerable (and VERY nice for movies if you angle it right), but it, just like the PSP, is way too wide. And from the looks of it, it'll have some weight to it, too. Unified action buttons==bad.

And I'm beginning to believe they don't plan on these leaving South Korea.

Back