Xgp First Picture??

Looks like many of those prototypes had bigger 4:3 screens. The one on the right had a HUGE screen and 4 action buttons. Too bad they won't use the bigger screen in the GPx2.

Sorry 'bout my absence. I was rather taken away by CS and HL2 mods these days lol

http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/view.php?id=news&no=265

New info are added for XGP.

XGP will have 1 Analogue stick,

6 buttons,

2 triggers,

num keys

and a touch pad (planned)

it uses an internal Li-Ion 1800 mA.

and is also equipped with 2 USB ports and 1 EXT.

Roaster of playable codecs have been expanded to MP4, Xvid, Divx 4.12.

As in regards to this link here:
http://kopan.apmsetup.net:8080/kglc/board/...oard_all&no=165

That's 2 different designs for XGP that's been put on the vote by participants who were at the scene that day.

People seems to like Type B in Korea so far. (one in the blue circle)

Those are on ugly motha fookas! I quote.

There's a contest video if you're interested.
http://www.gpzigi.com/zboard/view.php?id=S...m&desc=asc&no=3

My first impression on it was pretty nasty

but then put side-by-side with NDS, it doesn't look half as bad.

Too fat for my taste though. I like fitting things into my pocket without ripping it apart.

That's all.

The XGP sounds like an emu lovers nightmare. 16:9 screen smaller than PSP with a goofy resolution which means a tiny image at 1:1 or squashed and stretched.

Then you have the analog stick which is terrible for emulated games.

It will be nice for movies though as the 16:9 is good for that. This thing was supposed to be a game machine I thought.

Does anyone see the irony here? The GPx2 which is supposed to be a PMP movie player is actually better suited for games because of the screen format and controls, and the XGP which is supposed to be a game player but because of the analog and screen aspect will actually be better for movies :blink: It seems about as backwards as the speaker wiring on an old GP32 :blink:

I really hope the homebrew community backs the GPx2, it seems much better for emulation than this.

XGP FAQ @ http://kopan.apmsetup.net:8080/kglc/board/...oard_all&no=167

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preface:

Back in Aug 13th few days ago, during the XGP design voting contests came many informations that would give answers to what we've been pondering for a while. All the infos were spoken in public so we'll comprise them into a FAQ. Some of the infos were not pubically spoken but sorta came out in a conversation.
Hope this will answer some questions about XGP for those who take interest in it.

As you read this article, I want you to be aware that some of the informations are a 'possibility' and some others are 'definite'. We will make clear of it as we write this, but just be noted that XGP is still under developement and specs can change at any given time.

*Specs, and a video. Skipping translation*

XGP Q&A

Q1: Is this design the final?

A1: The designs on vote, namely type A and B are not a final design. We're not giving it a go with either design but we're trying to find what could be improved on the current designs we have.

Q2: Rotatable screen seems like a good idea but it also seems that it might have some durability problem. (During the video above shows the screen breaking and dropping after rotating 60 degrees) Is there any other reference you seek?

A2: Rotatable screen concepts are abundunt on cellphones and PDA market. (Photo below) The LCD itself has been in mass production and been on sales, so there's no worries about LCD quality.

But the connector neck is still a prototype so we will give some serious consideration & improvement on the neck.

*picture of Sharp PDA Zaurus. XGP will use the very same LCD Sharp PDA uses*

Q3: what are the keypads for?

A3: They are for chatting purpose. People will be able to chat with XGP via wireless LAN.

Q4: Keypads seem to be in a difficult position for hands to reach for casual chat. Are there any plan for this problem interface-wise?

A4: Alot of participants who were with us gave many ideas regarding this issue. Keypad designs are not final and for our final shipping product it might come with touch pad instead of key pads.

Q5: Chatting via wireless LAN, is it P2P direct connection?

A5: Nope. The server will be run and managed by Gamepark and we will relay those datas.

Q6: Does that mean you'll be able to surf web with XGP?

A6: For now we are planning on web surfing via wireless router. We are also possitively thinking about wireless internet via Nespot AP, but they won't be free.

Q7: What's the battery on XGP?

A7: Internal Lithium-Ion 1800mA. We went Li-Ion because of double-A weight issues we had with GP32 as well as portability issues.
But for extended hours of play, we're considering an external battery option, but with XGP design as it is now, external option is very difficult so there may be changes regarding this issue.

Q8: What is a GPOS?

A8: GPOS is an OS for previous gen of XGP, GP32. We've made some improvment on GPOS and will be the main OS for XGP as well. GPOS will be installed on ROM as a program.

Q9: what are your third-party plans? How many third parties have you gained so far?

A9: We can't say for sure but we have one for definite, and the number will increase. Our plans right now are to have at least more third parties than we had with GP32, and release games on XGP.

Q10: XGP's spec seems alot similar to GPANG mobile or other GXG supported mobile phones. How well will XGP perform?

A10: There are alot of similarities between those formentioned hardwares, but XGP is made for game and XGP has a powerful 3D chipset. It will use Open GL-ES ver 1.x as announced, and we're working to support ver 2.x as well.

Our internal test suggests that XGP runs Quake 3(three) pretty fine right now, and we're setting our goals to run Unreal 2 engine on XGP.

Q11: Any plans for external storages other than the SD card? USB host option suggests the possibility.

A11: XGP has a PMP function and depending on users might need some large storage space. We understand this issue and we are considering support for external hard-drive. If this does happen, they might come out as addons (Much like an extra memory for N64, where there's a slot made ready for addon)

Q12: What are the pricing policy for XGP and games?

A12: We're still at prototype stage so we can't really say. Even the specs aren't written in stone yet. Pad/ button design, casing design may change manufacturing cost. What we can say is that we're not making it any expensiver than other machines in competition. To be precise, it will not cost more than PSP value pack. (It suggests possibility for USD300 and around)

As for games, they will cost similar to PSP games. It will also depend on the game quality, so we'll make deals with our third parties on this issue.

Q13: Is there anything else you wish to add?

A13: People who participated in our contest seems to prefer type B design but with buttons on the type A. Our offline contest was for this valuable information on user preference. We will take the result heavily into our consideration and will make final design with user input in mind. For those who does not like the current design, we want you to wait and see our final product.

And so far, XGP supports DMB. XGP can function as TV with DMB service. but because of changing government policies with DMB, we cannot be sure on main channel services within this year. Therefore we are still deciding on whether if we are to use sattelite channels or landline channels.

Although we were originally planning to release XGP late this year, everything seems to be too tight for early release, so we're aiming for Q1 of 2006. We will let you know if dates are set.

And finally, we want to thank everyone who's taking interest in XGP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done. I hadn't had any sleep for 36 hours so my translation may be a bit rocky.

Bare with me. :p

Cheers.

DaveC posted on Aug 15 2005 at 11:23 PM said:
The XGP sounds like an emu lovers nightmare.

Quake 3 and Unreal 2 sounds impressive, though.

(read the translated FAQ above)

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
polooo2 posted on Aug 15 2005 at 11:49 PM said:

Any thoughts on that?

Hmmm, to be honest that sounds like bullshit.
Quake3 might be doable (see Quake3 on Dreamcast), but since the source hasn't been released (should be though in the next couple of days), they can't really have it running on their prototype (unless the work together with id software and bought a fricking expensive licence just to try it out), the same is even more true for Unreal2, which is btw also impossible to run on a machine with specs like the Xgp, unless it is graphically butchered to graphics of Unreal1 level.

Btw, if there is a partly functioning software renderer somewhere hidden in the Quake3 code (as remains from the Quake2 software renderer), it could be also possible to run Quake3 on the GPx2, but that is pure speculation :p

They do indeed seem to both be trying to woo the public but man are those prototyps awkward looking. The renders (and yeah those are totally renders) they sent Shinneri look a little better though.

The problam I see for them those is support. if all they want is to have more games than the GP32 that's not hard, it only had like 10 to begin with. I'm not to confident able their 3rd party support either. the Claim that they're trying to get such-and-such game running on their systems rigns holow to me and that "we have one 3rd party definatly" sounds like a desperate tap dance manuver trying to keep people from realizing that sure they'll even tually have atleast one, thats not hard, but what about 3rd parties that MATTER.

But all that is just minor issues really. The thing that tells me most that this isn't going to be worth owning unless you;re korean is all the fancy doodads and gadgets all up and through it. Television, cable, internet, wireless chatting? If people thought the DS was "gimmicy" this thing is downright guady. And lastly with all that stuff in there I doubt they can manage a lower than PSP pricetag unless they;re counting on exchange rates getting out of controll.

I'm sure it's a darn powerful machine for it's size and might even be on par with the PSP, but I can say for certainty that I now understand the differance of opinion that caused the split between GP and GPH.

shinneri,

Those are good pics they sent you.

They certainly get points for interesting ideas. I definitely like the rotating screen, wish the PSP could do that.

But it does look big and heavy (the PSP & NDS are both bigger and heavier than I would like, GP32 and Zodiac are better in that respect).

And it really remains to be seen - what use will it be? It's not going to succeed competing with PSP and NDS. And it seens like the GPX2 is better suited for emulation and homebrew (and will probably be less expensive).

But still. It's GamePark. Well, it's the other half of GamePark. :p So it's good to see them actually making new systems. I guess

But thank god GPH is making the GPX2, which seems to follow the GP32's spirit more, because I really don't think I want an XGP.

polooo2 posted on Aug 15 2005 at 11:49 PM said:

Any thoughts on that?

It has 3D hardware so it should be able to do that. Those aren't emulators they are ports. I say meh with a 3D system like this. If it is 3D you want buy a PSP, it will have WAY more games.

The whole thing that made the GP32 great was it's ability to emulate 16 bit and under 2D retro games and homebrew games with no frills and un-needed bells and whistles. No analog sticks, widescreens, custom Li-ion batteries, 3D polygons. For those we have the PSP and DS. The GPx2 carries on the spirit of the GP32, the XGP is just a PSP wannabe. Quake and unreal are nice but if I am going to play 3D I will be playing Xbox 360. When I want retro it will be GP32 or GPX2.

It still will be shit for emulators. The Zodiac taught me that analog sticks are crap for games designed for digital controllers. The PSP taught me that 16:9 480 x 272 screens are not very well suited for emus which are variations of 320 x 220. You either get tiny images or stretched and out of proportion distorted images, with edge fuzzing due to excessive filtering needed to make up for the res difference. Plus the screen on this is smaller than a PSP too.

this must be a joke! it really does like one of those 9999-1 tetris games you buy on a market stall.

Also, those "Action"-Buttons on the right side are more than impractical for gaming.
Thats a totaly "no-go" for me.

mr.white

After reading all the posts, this is as good a place as any. The number pad is designed for use with a USB camera and will allow for a live feed video conference type chat program. It will also be used for quick key features.

The ARM920T is being ousted and replaced with the new ARM1020E. The new Processors feature list.

Features:
32/16-bit RISC architecture (ARMv5TE)
32-bit ARM instruction set for maximum performance and flexibility
16-bit Thumb instruction set for increased code density
DSP instruction extensions and single cycle MAC
Instruction and data caches: ARM1020E = 32K/32K, ARM1022E 16K/16K
Individual lockable cache/MMU entries
ARM and Thumb instruction sets, including fixed-point DSP extensions
64-bit high-bandwidth internal bus architecture with multiple execution units
Advanced energy saving power-down modes to address static leakage currents
Dual 64-bit AMBA bus-compliant AHB interfaces
Optional VFP10 vector floating point coprocessor
Optional ETM10 embedded trace macrocell for non-intrusive real-time debug
Also as an addition we are implementing a new low gloss midnight black
Finish that is fingerprint resistant.

C B Felterbush posted on Aug 17 2005 at 07:29 PM said:
After reading all the posts, this is as good a place as any. The number pad is designed for use with a USB camera and will allow for a live feed video conference type chat program. It will also be used for quick key features.

The ARM920T is being ousted and replaced with the new ARM1020E. The new Processors feature list.

Features:
32/16-bit RISC architecture (ARMv5TE)
32-bit ARM instruction set for maximum performance and flexibility
16-bit Thumb instruction set for increased code density
DSP instruction extensions and single cycle MAC
Instruction and data caches: ARM1020E = 32K/32K, ARM1022E 16K/16K
Individual lockable cache/MMU entries
ARM and Thumb instruction sets, including fixed-point DSP extensions
64-bit high-bandwidth internal bus architecture with multiple execution units
Advanced energy saving power-down modes to address static leakage currents
Dual 64-bit AMBA bus-compliant AHB interfaces
Optional VFP10 vector floating point coprocessor
Optional ETM10 embedded trace macrocell for non-intrusive real-time debug
Also as an addition we are implementing a new low gloss midnight black
Finish that is fingerprint resistant.

it still wont be as powerful as a psp and it still has a crappy screen - so it is still as pointless as ever!! and it is (in prototype form) the ugliest, cheapest and nastiest handheld ever seen.

x68000 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
it still wont be as powerful as a psp and it still has a crappy screen - so it is still as pointless as ever!! and it is (in prototype form) the ugliest, cheapest and nastiest handheld ever seen.
Crappy screen?? :huh:

Looks pretty nice to me...

Back