Xiilun worlds smallest computer on a module!

ethereal

Xillun!!!

This thing is fast 1.6GHz, full functioning computer. Probably faster then your desktop from 5 years ago. With 4 USB slots and up to 2gigs of ram this maybe the next "base" to start working off of for a potential Pandora 2.0

BTW I have no idea how much it costs.

Wow! That's tiny! No fans too!

No fan is required as xiilun’s aluminum case is used to dissipate the
little power loss the tiny PC is producing. The internal microSD card

slot provides solid state storage which can be easily expanded and

since there are no moving parts, there really is just silence.

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora wont use intel. that things gonna melt the case at 1.6ghz

Wow! Cool stuff. How would you even use that thing though?? Its about the size of my USB dongle..

Help me, I'm mellllltingggg~

face_melt.gif

I haven't read anything about how much heat this thing gives off. I really don't see why it couldn't be used as part of a mobile gaming device.

X86 Too, That's very cool. B)

What version of Crysis can it play? :lol:

Really though, I would love to see it can do. I really like the idea of embedded computing. No price though :/

Uh, what's the point of a computer like that? It doesn't seem to have a built in screen, or a battery, so it isn't really portable. It's cool as a proof-of-concept if it works, but that's really it.

Atom is far more comparable to a 10 year old desktop than a 5 year old one...

But still a cool novelty.

If its cheap, it will change rack-space computing .. FOREVER ..

How would this change rack space computing? What is rack space computing?
A rack is a shelf, basically. Computer hardware just slides into a giant case. Imagine instead of dropping your motherboard flat into your desktop, the front opened up and you could just slide it on rails and it connects at the back. Then imagine that there's 2 or 3 other motherboards in the empty space. That's how rack computing works, modular and compact design, a bunch of CPUs all stacked up in a single case.

I imagine people are considering something this small and self contained to be a reasonable replacement: instead of a cabinet full of CPUs, you have a short stack of these things in the corner.

So this might be good (depending on the price) for networking them together to large image processing/other instead of having a cabinet full of computers (for cooling I will put them in the fridge and run cables to them)? I have never understood how that worked. I have like 6 computers that aren't bad which I have picked up through various means, and I have always dreamed of stitching them together somehow, but all Googles lead to something professional. I can't ever find someone who is using older desktop computers.

Google 'cluster computing'. I remember setting up a Beowulf cluster during highschool (about 5 years ago now), using RedHat linux at the time.

That said, be prepared for a lot of time in the terminal even for relatively trivial results, and make sure you are at least a little familiar with whatever OS you are using.

I am not afraid of terminal, but I am woefully ill informed on how to use it :( I know how to use all of cd, ifconfig, and... something else...

Anyway, what could I do with my hypothetical computer cluster? Could I play crisis on low settings!? I don't really have a good internet connection (400MB a day limit. yes MB) so I can't host a server. :/ Is there anything cool I can do, like render stuff for people? I bet someone on the forums would like some extra processing cycles. OH! Could I make bitcoins? I would love to have some!

I am not afraid of terminal, but I am woefully ill informed on how to use it :( I know how to use all of cd, ifconfig, and... something else...

Anyway, what could I do with my hypothetical computer cluster? Could I play crisis on low settings!? I don't really have a good internet connection (400MB a day limit. yes MB) so I can't host a server. :/ Is there anything cool I can do, like render stuff for people? I bet someone on the forums would like some extra processing cycles. OH! Could I make bitcoins? I would love to have some!

Essentially you can only relaly use it for multitasking e.g. farming processes out to each computer individually in order to save overall time. Example: You want to process some info on 100 pieces of data and have four computers, so you get the first computer to process 1-25, the second 26-50, 51-75, 76-100. You could almost think of it as having a multi-core computer, but not.

I know it has been done with graphics rendering, but how to accomplish that I have no idea. Also, I have no idea what bitcoins is.

Bitcoins are a newish p2p currency that some people invented. The important part is where people actually buy them! I don't have a good enough computer, but people with good graphics cards are making like $300 USD a month. Not bad for just letting your computer run. I don't care about the money, I just want to have a couple just in case people actually use them (their value would explode if they went mainstream). If they don't, then no big deal.

Back