Xmas Advice

Ganepark32

Suit Up!
Website
Visit site
Ok. On wednesday my bro was given his xmas present seeing as it owuld be pretty hard to hide. He was given an £800 Gibson guitar. Now after he was given it, my mother said that if there was anything else that I want for xmas, I should just say and I can get it. So the question I'm wanting to have answered is this:

I currently own a 360 and Wii and I'm considering getting a 60Gb PS3 (if I can find one cheap enough). However, is there much point in gettingone if I already have a 360 and a Wii? And If I am to get one, what games would y'all suggest getting for it?

And if you advise not getting one, do you know of any sites that sell and deliver Jukeboxes (the 50's retro style ones)

If anyone can answer these, I'd be greatful.

360 / wii / DS / GP2x and coming soon PS3 ..
imagine these gadgets turning into animals
they need food and water and a happy life too :)
spending time with an animal or pet can help you feel better
how much free-time do you have?
how about your real life?

:)

@ euro48k - I don't have loads of free time because of college and my policy of education comes first but I have enough time to spend on other things. I get a bit of gaming in now and again, mostly at weekends because I have no assessments to do. In regards to my real life, lets just say it sucks and leave it at that. Also, I don't have a GP2x. Haven't bothered getting one. Stopped playing my GP32 years ago but still come round here cause I like the atmosphere.

@ Unfathomable Depths - Not allowed a drum kit because of my nephew living with us and my mother thinks it will make far too much noise and make him cry, etc. But if I gotone, I would prefer not to become the next Hanson. Probably prefer to be Taylor Hawkins or someone like that.

Absoloutely get a ps3. Best purchase I made this year, and far more fun than my wii.

As for games, I'd recommend:
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
and if you're in to RPGs Enchanted Arms.

I'd probably just ask for a selection of games for the 360 & Wii - Mass Effect, Bio Shock, Super Mario Galaxy, RW Umbrella Chronicles .. etc etc !

Your parents would just be paying too much for a PS3 at the moment, and it looks like it will be a few more months before 'triple A' titles start coming out for it (apart from multi release games which you can already get on your 360).

Instead, if you like gadgets, I suggest a new MP4/3 player or a new phone such as TYTN II ... Of course, you could always ask for a voucher for Amazon or Play Asia ... ;) If you are into making music, perhaps a keyboard with midi features? You can wear headphones if you are worried about the noise.

Hope you get something cool anyway.

Goity said:
Absoloutely get a ps3. Best purchase I made this year, and far more fun than my wii.

Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
Dont forget Resistance fall of man.

Whats your id on Warhawk Ill look out for you

sataniC Virus said:
Your parents would just be paying too much for a PS3 at the moment, and it looks like it will be a few more months before 'triple A' titles start coming out for it (apart from multi release games which you can already get on your 360).

However it seems he wants a 60gb ps3 and if he waits for a few months till the tripple A titles start comming out then he will find it even harder to get one as they are going to be discontinued and only 40gb ones will be available

Last edited by a moderator:
foleyjo said:
Goity said:

Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
Dont forget Resistance fall of man.

Whats your id on Warhawk Ill look out for you

sataniC Virus said:

However it seems he wants a 60gb ps3 and if he waits for a few months till the tripple A titles start comming out then he will find it even harder to get one as they are going to be discontinued and only 40gb ones will be available

Agreed 60GB is being discontinued, along with memory card slots and (limited) PS2 compatability. However, with the possibility of external USB HD's I would not make a decision based on whether it is a 40 or 60GB version. Right now the 360 (& even the Wii) has a lot more quality titles. Some of the ones mentiones above (Rathchet & Clank and Heavenly Sword have gotten bad reviews for graphics and gameplay respectively - these are meant to be the big hitters on PS3 at the moment). It seems imho the PS3 is a bit like the original xbox when it was first released - a few good games, but the competition (at the time - PS2) had so many more)

Anyway, I was just suggesting some alternatives to a PS3, as he already has a 360 & Wii - i have no doubt the killer games will arrive at some stage.

Agreed 60GB is being discontinued, along with memory card slots and (limited) PS2 compatability. However, with the possibility of external USB HD's I would not make a decision based on whether it is a 40 or 60GB version. Right now the 360 (& even the Wii) has a lot more quality titles. Some of the ones mentiones above (Rathchet & Clank and Heavenly Sword have gotten bad reviews for graphics and gameplay respectively - these are meant to be the big hitters on PS3 at the moment). It seems imho the PS3 is a bit like the original xbox when it was first released - a few good games, but the competition (at the time - PS2) had so many more)

Are you kidding? I haven't seen anywhere where Ratchet has been given a bad review for graphics. All I have heard is that it looks like a Pixar film, which isn't the same thing a bit.
As for Heavenly Sword, from experience the gameplay is excellent.

foleyjo: My ID is Goity :p

Goity said:

Are you kidding? I haven't seen anywhere where Ratchet has been given a bad review for graphics. All I have heard is that it looks like a Pixar film, which isn't the same thing a bit.

Games TM is my main magazine for objective mature non fanboy information about games. If a game has problems, it states them. It said Rachet & Clank on PS3, while a good game, it could be a last generation game, i.e. PS2 for graphics - it does not push the PS3 like a new 'must have' game should. For Heavenly Sword, it did acknowledge the graphics, but said gameplay was shallow and uninspiring, and not what a next gen system should be offering. My mate has Heavenly Sword and from what I have seen, and from his comments I agree with this.

BTW, I am not anti Sony - i hope the great games start appearing soon. I have a PSP and hope for more great games! If I had no consoles right now and had to pick only one, I would not pick PS3 - in 12 months I could have a different answer to that question depending on the games available.

Goity said:

A friend of mine rented Heavenly Sword. He said it was great for the few hours he played it. Then he finished it and took it back the same day to get something else.

sataniC Virus said:
Goity said:

Games TM is my main magazine for objective mature non fanboy information about games. If a game has problems, it states them. It said Rachet & Clank on PS3, while a good game, it could be a last generation game, i.e. PS2 for graphics - it does not push the PS3 like a new 'must have' game should. For Heavenly Sword, it did acknowledge the graphics, but said gameplay was shallow and uninspiring, and not what a next gen system should be offering. My mate has Heavenly Sword and from what I have seen, and from his comments I agree with this.

BTW, I am not anti Sony - i hope the great games start appearing soon. I have a PSP and hope for more great games! If I had no consoles right now and had to pick only one, I would not pick PS3 - in 12 months I could have a different answer to that question depending on the games available.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...ction?q=ratchet

GamesTM is the lowest score by far. Maybe you should have said it has gotten a bad review in the singular ;).

Also, considering it is the lowest score, are you sure it's obvective mature non fanboy information? I doubt it. I've played Ratchet, and there's no way the ps2 could pull that off; I'd be surprised to see the 360 do it. There is no other review that calls its graphics into question in any way.

Goity said:
sataniC Virus said:
Goity said:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...ction?q=ratchet

GamesTM is the lowest score by far. Maybe you should have said it has gotten a bad review in the singular ;).

Also, considering it is the lowest score, are you sure it's obvective mature non fanboy information? I doubt it. I've played Ratchet, and there's no way the ps2 could pull that off; I'd be surprised to see the 360 do it. There is no other review that calls its graphics into question in any way.

Was only replying based on what I know - I would not include official, or unofficial PS mags (same as microsoft mags or opinions) as they give an inflated opinion. User review/forums also call into question the Pixar comparisons (especially the cutscenes). In the UK & Ire there are really only 2 mature themed mags that give objective cross platform reviews - Edge & Games TM. Edge used to be considered favourable on PS until a few months ago when it realised the state of the current games market. imo from what I have seen of PS3 it has not lived up to its hype yet . Having all 60 + issues of Games TM, and many other magazines and over 30 years of console playing I am satisfied the magazine is not playing fanboy to anyone. You might want to read it before jumping to accusations just because you like a particular game/ platform. Remember opinions are usually subjective and if you are happy with a platform game that brings nothing new to the genre fair play to you. I prefer some advancement with each new generation.

sataniC Virus said:
Was only replying based on what I know - I would not include official, or unofficial PS mags (same as microsoft mags or opinions) as they give an inflated opinion. User review/forums also call into question the Pixar comparisons (especially the cutscenes). In the UK & Ire there are really only 2 mature themed mags that give objective cross platform reviews - Edge & Games TM. Edge used to be considered favourable on PS until a few months ago when it realised the state of the current games market. imo from what I have seen of PS3 it has not lived up to its hype yet . Having all 60 + issues of Games TM, and many other magazines and over 30 years of console playing I am satisfied the magazine is not playing fanboy to anyone. You might want to read it before jumping to accusations just because you like a particular game/ platform. Remember opinions are usually subjective and if you are happy with a platform game that brings nothing new to the genre fair play to you. I prefer some advancement with each new generation.
If you don't want to trust official magazines, how about the other eighteen or so reviews that don't feel the same way as GamesTM? Or are you just going to disregard those because they don't agree with your train of thought.
Well... go and play Kameo like the rest of your kind if you seriously think Ratchet is a bad game just because one reviewer out of twenty game it a less than stellar review. Remember that all reviewers are biased, and it's ridiculous to trust a single source.
From what you've seen? Just what have you seen? Have you ever even played on a ps3? It's quite clear that Games TM are playing fanboy when they say that the reused areas in TP help familiarity but in Ratchet they are just rubbish.

Goity said:
sataniC Virus said:
If you don't want to trust official magazines, how about the other eighteen or so reviews that don't feel the same way as GamesTM? Or are you just going to disregard those because they don't agree with your train of thought.
Well... go and play Kameo like the rest of your kind if you seriously think Ratchet is a bad game just because one reviewer out of twenty game it a less than stellar review. Remember that all reviewers are biased, and it's ridiculous to trust a single source.
From what you've seen? Just what have you seen? Have you ever even played on a ps3? It's quite clear that Games TM are playing fanboy when they say that the reused areas in TP help familiarity but in Ratchet they are just rubbish.

Seems like you have problems reading.

'other eighteen or so reviews' - please do show

'disregard those because they don't agree with your train of thought' - i stated an opinion and provided an opinion from a magazine

'Well... go and play Kameo like the rest of your kind' - em, no comment needed

'Remember that all reviewers are biased' - then why base your argument on "eighteen or so reviews"

'From what you've seen? Just what have you seen? Have you ever even played on a ps3?' - yes, pretty obvious from comments above

'It's quite clear that Games TM are playing fanboy when they say that the reused areas in TP help familiarity (?) but in Ratchet they are just rubbish.' - intitled to your own opinion, but contradicting yourself regarding magazine reviews.

Simply offering advice on a topic brings out the fanboys in some inexperienced people - may you look back and laugh in years to come. Enjoy your youth while you still have it. I have no particular favourites over any console manufacturers but go by the quality of the software produced. If you are at a stage of playground bantering then by all means have fun with your friends, but do not take it online in an open forum. If you like the game Ratchet & Clank for PS3 then great, but learn to remember that others are entitled to opinions too.

This thread was seeking advice and opininions, so if you can't offer any without unhelpfully proving yourself a fanboy , then you should probaby just stay quiet - you might learn something.

When looking into someone's opinion on a given game, you usually try to get information from all angles. I subscribe to Game Informer, which, in my opinion, is a pretty unbiased magazine that tries to provide objective views on all games that are reviewed. I also like to have a look at other online sites, usually IGN.

Let's take assassin's creed for example. Pretty solid reviews across the board, which the exception of a couple sites, most notably IGN. Was a review in the 7's fair? Probably not. You're supposed to take into account your own feelings before becoming slave to a bunch of morons with a writing position.

I purchased assassin's creed on release and played it for a bit. My opinion? It didn't live up to the hype. Is it worthy of a 7 rating? Not at all. Probably an 8.5 or so.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that only you can decide if a game is good or not. Reviews are merely there for some idea into what you're about to purchase. That's all. See your favorite source's weakness. GI magazine seems to be into the hype. Any game that's incredibly hyped is guaranteed a fantastic rating. Make sure you take these things into account before trusting a review to be unbiased.

Try not to rely on one source for a review; and if possible, play the game for yourself.

As for how I feel, well, the PS3 is a bit slow as it stands. I would still pick up a 60gb before they all vanish, though, because you're really sacrificing a lot for that 100 dollar difference (based on US pricing). It's money in the bank as far as I'm concerned, because there are a ton of projected titles that are going to be quite awesome. If you have the opportunity to go for one, grab it.

My 2 cents.

sataniC Virus said:
Seems like you have problems reading.

'other eighteen or so reviews' - please do show

'disregard those because they don't agree with your train of thought' - i stated an opinion and provided an opinion from a magazine

'Well... go and play Kameo like the rest of your kind' - em, no comment needed

'Remember that all reviewers are biased' - then why base your argument on "eighteen or so reviews"

'From what you've seen? Just what have you seen? Have you ever even played on a ps3?' - yes, pretty obvious from comments above

'It's quite clear that Games TM are playing fanboy when they say that the reused areas in TP help familiarity (?) but in Ratchet they are just rubbish.' - intitled to your own opinion, but contradicting yourself regarding magazine reviews.

Simply offering advice on a topic brings out the fanboys in some inexperienced people - may you look back and laugh in years to come. Enjoy your youth while you still have it. I have no particular favourites over any console manufacturers but go by the quality of the software produced. If you are at a stage of playground bantering then by all means have fun with your friends, but do not take it online in an open forum. If you like the game Ratchet & Clank for PS3 then great, but learn to remember that others are entitled to opinions too.

This thread was seeking advice and opininions, so if you can't offer any without unhelpfully proving yourself a fanboy , then you should probaby just stay quiet - you might learn something.

All reviewers are biased... just not necessarily in the same ways, which is why you should look at a list of them like on metacritic. It's really not obvious you have used a ps3, considering you say you have a psp, but the rest of everything else you say comes from gamestm. As for the other 18 or so reviews, just look on the link I provided.
I can wrap up the rest of your argument by saying okay, you're old. Congratulations?

Back