Xpdf - Fast Pdf Reader For Gp2x Released!

yodaofborg posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:48 PM said:
I'd try re-downloading x11, maybe a corrupt archive, but if you cannot run Xserver.gpu it is a problem with the x11 install, not the PDF reader.
Solved: i was using a corrupted SD card. Now it works after formatting it, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DanSolo posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:29 PM said:
What a pity we still don't have a decent speed stand alone PDF reader.
Why are people so biased against anything that uses X?! IT IS NOT SLOW, IT'S NOT BIG AND IT ISN'T HARD TO SET UP OR USE EITHER!

This way it can be used for any X programs, not just GP2Xpdf.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:50 AM said:
Of course, to use the reader, you need to have the X11 server installed on your gp2x.

It is stand alone in that you only have to install the X server, once installed you just run GP2Xpdf as any other application. The same is true of Java, Fenix and Python apps on the GP2X

awsome! thanks, i wonder if my biology book (A huge pdf) will work with this?

Orkie posted on Feb 14 2007 at 05:19 PM said:
Why are people so biased against anything that uses X?! IT IS NOT SLOW, IT'S NOT BIG AND IT ISN'T HARD TO SET UP OR USE EITHER!

I was speaking in the chat with a guy about that this afternoon. I said exactly the words you said here,but the guy was sure about the fact that gp2x11 is difficult to configure because it requires a brekout box. It is not true!!!
gp2x11 is fast..it runs pretty well with gp2xpdf. I can't understand why people says no to that. Gp2x11 is a great project that can give rise to a huge world of new ports.

can the X server be installed into nand root /usr/X11R6/ ?
in a similar fashion to SDL libs.

maybe then will people realize that that X is just another way to display content.(if you dont see the files you dont care what it does it just "works")

Orkie posted on Feb 14 2007 at 04:19 PM said:

Whoah, hold on there pardner! No need to SHOUT! Max respect to all GP2X coders out there, but I expected to see a decent pdf reader that runs as a normal gpu by now (OK, I should get off my lazy ass and try to help then...). pdfview is good but way too slow. Is this not possible with a 200MHz CPU?
Won't I have to autorun X instead of my usual enexfi to use GP2Xpdf?

ok, runing this bad boy to see how well she handles a little bit of Haruhi Suzumia action (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=c0951dcdf7b94bd2a6f1ce84c5024313 basicly the baka Tsuki version in pdf form) which practly killed the old PDF player before hand.

Ok, lets see here, file takes like 5 seconds to load and pages seem to be 2-4 seconds. We look like we're on to winner sause here gents.

Ok, X server instaltion was a small pain in the ass but it was worth it.

This openes some gateway into the world of portible short novel translation reading.

HUZZAS.

Orkie posted on Feb 14 2007 at 04:19 PM said:

I love X, bring on the X apps!!!

The gp2x is so much more than just a gaming machine.

Nice work, let me know when you have a standalone (non-X) version available. I don't want to install X for one application.

Excellent work Parkydr. This was one of the real missing/needed apps on the GP2X imo. I tried that other, old one and couldn't get it to open any of my PDFs. This one works a treat, tried it with some 50mb docs and it has no problem with any of them.

As for using X, the server is so small I don't see what's so bad about it being on the SD, its smaller than 2 mp3s.

Well, I also have no problem installing X to have PDF on the move. Its just like installing SDL or any other lib, hell, I installed timidity (much larger) just to hear midi in Duke2x.

Startup time for the minimal Xserver is like seconds, and the space requirement is also so low, I really do not get why anyone would have a problem with this :p (not even you Squdge, unless you are up to the task...) I'm not saying it is not possible, but this X app runs fine for me, even with large'ish (400 page) PDF files, it obviously needs some tweaking, but well, no complaints here! Maybe a few suggestions, but 0 complaints... ...The more X apps the better, IMHO :>

Thanks for this! We've needed a good pdf viewer for ages. Let's hope this means more X based apps will be ported. I've always wondered why there weren't any.

Squidge posted on Feb 14 2007 at 11:13 AM said:
Nice work, let me know when you have a standalone (non-X) version available. I don't want to install X for one application.
You don't use (or haven't even tried!!) Qtopia? Aaaaah!! Seriously as long as you keep working on emulators it is ok, but you are missing out. IIRC it isn't very hard to install and it keeps to itself, no harm no foul. Plus it is plenty useful. I guess there are good pdf readers without X windows, it just seems silly not to use the obvious benefit of X when it is there.

I don't see you complaining about SDL ;), even when we had to update it on the earlier firmwares or install it on our SD ourselves. X could be in the firmware too, then no worries.

nubie posted on Feb 14 2007 at 09:07 PM said:
X could be in the firmware too, then no worries.
I'm hoping for that to be the case in an open2x release.

And being a *nix port, how could it not support X applications? This is a good running port. And a great proof of concept, IMHO it shows off how much speed X applications can have, and is more a proof of concept than any emulator.

I can run this on my PC, via a SSH terminal on my PC! Its a great step forward...

Back