You didn't expect this, I guess.

For me, I canceled my preorder 3 years ago I think, maybe more. I was tired of waiting and now I am waiting for the Pyra Phone, but my main concerning with all this circus is that the Pyra was outdated one it was presented, 7? 8 years ago? So imagine now. The only possible way to turn the Pyra interesting again not for me, but for the general public is to release it, sell all the outdated devices and start working right now on a updated PCB. I am realistic and I know that no all PCBs are ok, but something with maybe 2-3 years frame should be the way to go.

We're trying a slightly different color coating here which will make things a little more matte, same for the black.
However, we will now have to wait a bit - due to Corona, the company is closing down until early April (at least). I'll continue with everything else that still needs to be done though, of course.
No worries. Thanks for clearing that up and bummer on the delay.

For me, I canceled my preorder 3 years ago I think, maybe more. I was tired of waiting and now I am waiting for the Pyra Phone, but my main concerning with all this circus is that the Pyra was outdated one it was presented, 7? 8 years ago? So imagine now. The only possible way to turn the Pyra interesting again not for me, but for the general public is to release it, sell all the outdated devices and start working right now on a updated PCB. I am realistic and I know that no all PCBs are ok, but something with maybe 2-3 years frame should be the way to go.

Sounds like you should make your own thing and see how that goes :)

Why? Should I throw away all parts? Otherwise, I don´t see any reason why I shouldn´t finish it.

Unless I die, but I hope that will still be a bit away :)
I always had faith that the Pyra would be released but this COVID-19 crisis seems like it might mess things up. I'm not really sure how this crisis is going to influence the Pyra. For all I know all borders will be closed for the rest of the year and the incoming economic crisis will render me without any money to make the final payment or will bankrupt your company. The economic and political consequences of COVID-19 are scaring me.

is it a 'retro game' device or a retro 'game device'?
It's a retro ((retro game) device). But I'm personally fine with that. The only thing that bothers me about it being retro is that it lacks USB-C.

For all I know all borders will be closed for the rest of the year and the incoming economic crisis will render me without any money to make the final payment or will bankrupt your company. The economic and political consequences of COVID-19 are scaring me.
FWIW, the Chinese government has already started to lift the lockdown on Wuhan and even in Germany yesterday's count of new cases was surprisingly low.

the Pyra would be released but this COVID-19 crisis seems like it might mess things up

All of the important parts and tasks have been completed and parts tested and are available. Even if, worst case, the painting cannot be completed by the original company, or the supply of heat-sinks somehow vanishes, there will be alternative solutions.

Never quite understand folks who have no pre-order anymore, hanging around to throw barbed opinions.

We get it; with all your practical experience of designing, prototyping and managing the supply-chain of a complex and unique electronic handheld device, on a shoe-string budget, @Xcl4m4t10n you'd have done it all so much better! \o/

FWIW, the Chinese government has already started to lift the lockdown on Wuhan and even in Germany yesterday's count of new cases was surprisingly low.

Sure but when my gf found out on Friday that one of her colleagues tested positive she was told she has to wait until Monday to get tested because it's not an emergency. So I'm not sure how much those numbers are worth...

So I'm not sure how much those numbers are worth...
They have been showing off a very consistent trend over the past weeks and it's not like the testing decisions changed recently, it's been like that from the very beginning.

According to the reported cases there were about 2500 infections yesterday, but interpolated from the previous days it should have been around 3 times as much. It does not look like an outlier, either, because the current day is approaching its end and once again there are only around 2300 new reported cases.

Sounds like you should make your own thing and see how that goes :)

So now I can't give my opinion if I can't do my own thing. That's the stupidiest thing I have read on Internet on years. And that should be a honor, so congratulations.

If people are not open to criticism don't make it public. With that said you are not staff of the project AFAIK, am I right? So I should asume that you are just a fanboy.

Never quite understand folks who have no pre-order anymore, hanging around to throw barbed opinions.

We get it; with all your practical experience of designing, prototyping and managing the supply-chain of a complex and unique electronic handheld device, on a shoe-string budget, @Xcl4m4t10n you'd have done it all so much better! \o/

Ok, I am going to play your game. Where did I critic anybody's work? Did I critic EvilDragon or HNS? In fact I congratulated them a lot of times. I think that your capacity of extrapolate things are the sames as Wally, so I just could say that you are another bother fanboy. I do like Pyra and I do like the project, but I also like the objetivisim, and from a objetive point of view, this device is old. It's Ok for all of you? Nice, but the reality is that.

It doesn't matter that it's old, what matters is how it performs running actual software, like a web browser and emulators. However you're entitled to your opinion and people shouldn't attack you for that. You haven't been a jerk like some of the people here have.

no, you cannot use store bought eggs to grow chickens
Well in fact, if they're organic (as chickens are expected to be :D, but I mean free-range and stuff) there's a fair chance that a rooster was around and the egg is fertilized, just "in stasis" as temperatures don't match. If you place it in an incubator, it can actually hatch.
Here's the video I've seen about it a while ago. It's in french, but there are english subtitles.

But I agree most people stocking on eggs will buy the cheaper ones so there you go ;)

The hatch chance is rather high, around 60% i think. Wanted to try this myself for a long time now.

Ppls stocking behaviour is pretty nuts, they buy fresh milk instead powder for example. Let alone toilet paper, flour and such... Why not frozen pizza?

The hatch chance is rather high, around 60% i think. Wanted to try this myself for a long time now.

Ppls stocking behaviour is pretty nuts, they buy fresh milk instead powder for example. Let alone toilet paper, flour and such... Why not frozen pizza?
Is it really wise to tax the body with junkfood while in a crisis? We have prepped by stocking peas and carrots (among other things). They're edible without any preparation and they won't make us sick.

The French do it in a much smarter way - they hoard wine and condoms instead. That shit lasts for years.
Wine is only good for some enjoyment for people who like wine and need the distraction but I do not think that it's any good for real sustainance. And condoms should definitely not be eaten; they're not food to the body and will do nothing but heavily burden the body. So if all they have is wine and condoms then they're not smart at all.

Back