Your requests for Pyra videos

I'm going to have to agree with @Grench.

Preloading the system with some sort of 'Pyra repository client'/'app store' and web browser is a must
but that should be it, have the 'repository client' a big icon on the desktop so a new user can't miss it.

The reason I believe this is because I wanted to buy a Pyra as a present for my younger brother, who loves to play on emulators but he is by no means a technical user.
So assuming every Pyra owner is a Linux Power user is not a great idea.
But I do believe that preloading the Pyra with a bunch of software is also undesirable.

The best solution is to meet in the middle, make it stupid simple to install Pyra packages by including a Pyra 'app store'. (No terminal, No 'apt-get' & all things in the app store is filled with made/configured for the Pyra software, that is ready to go, no configing) we need something more like the Ubuntu mate welcome window.

Last edited:
Most Linux distros for new users already come with what's necessary and nothing more.
This blotware thing doesn't make sense to me.

And i wish Pamac GUI repo manager could be ported, but Synaptic was good while i used Debian/Ubuntu based distros.

And the terminal thing is optional this days for users. I guess some got used to it.

I will be honest, I am a novice with Linux and recently started running Manjaro and am in love with it precisely because of its care for detail and how it seems to come with everything I need or want to try. Not saying that the preinstalled software for Pyra needs to be as large, however I do love using KDE. A believe many users would appreciate having a modern looking desktop.

As Package manager Synaptic is installed.

There might be a custom one for DBPs as well.
But installing them is as simple as going to a website and download a file to an SD-card

Do they not still need to do in a pyra analogue of /pandora/menu (../apps, ../mmenu etc.) or will there be a default for it it finds them in the root of a mounted volume?

To be fair, I can see the value of having libreoffice preinstalled on a development unit with wonky wifi. It's quite a big package to download, and if your wifi is slower than intended, not having to download that off the bat might be a good thing. I just hope in production units that we have more choice.

FWIW, my last gripe with gimp was working with transparencies and layers. I couldn't seem to see any indication whether I was editing the bitmap or the alpha channel before I applied by brush to it, and since you paint alpha channels and rgb pixels in the same place on the image, it just depends on whether you clicked the alpha channel icon in the layers list last or not. At least gimp's undo function has always been reliable, because I always find I have to use it quite a lot.

Last edited:
I do not object on having an out-of-the-box experience but I rather have a minimal installation with a menu program on the desktop that will install a set of predefined packages:

Question 1. Are you a
a) Gamer (install emulators)
b) Developer (install dev tools)
c) Video watcher (install all non-free codec and vlc/rhythmbox/etc)

then the script runs apt-get install emulator_x emulator_y and *_z depending on your choices. And for countries without Internet, sure, make an iso available with a method to add the CD iso as a repository, then install from the ISO.

Just to be clear, the suggestions for additional 'first time use' package managers and setup overhead are nice, but likely impractical.

Who is going to write it?
Who is going to maintain it?

Much easier to just have a stock image with the basic applications - or even the applications that come default bundled with the chosen DE. Advanced users can strip it if they want - which they would likely do regardless.

people who are advocating for a stripped-down version are asking noobs to be extremely inconvenienced and themselves to be barely un-inconvenienced. let Ed release a normal version, and unofficial stripped down images could be created by the community.

just rephrasing/repeating Grench, of course...
So, the inconvenience of pre-loaded basic functional applications to the 'power Linux user' is zero. The inconvenience for a neophyte or iPhone reviewer is 'catastrophic' and insurmountable.

aKjGg5O_460s.jpg
@levi: In the 90ties.... Pretty sure it would be CorelDraw instead...

And what the image shows us is that, yes... basic thingies need to be preinstalled.
We can later apt-get remove stuff (I'll post a oneliner if the need is there)

My question is, and sorry if it has been discussed before, if the libraries where KDE, Gnome, QT are based on will be pre-installed (which could keep the DBP's smaller? Or Will we have a few DBP that provides those libs, such that we mount two of them to work (like Java apps)?
This means: do we lean towards applications using the same libs?

Will we pre-install Python? It's pretty popular. But maybe we need DBP's with Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.0 instead. What about the libs?

Non-free available?
Will we have a menu item that opens up non-free (synaptic has a menu checkmark you can toggle)? or will that repository be enabled in the image?

Chose closest repository (for generic stuff)
During installation of Debian, the closest repository is automatically chosen, but we will not have that.
There are 2 methods described here: https://www.unixmen.com/find-fastest-mirror-debian-derivatives/
Basically we do:
Code:
apt-get install netselect-apt  && netselect-apt

What games should we showcase? Out of the many, which sound player should be there?

Last edited:
What games should we showcase? Out of the many, which sound player should be there?

SuperTux Kart
SuperTux
Most anything else would be copyrighted.

Audacious for audio
VLC for video, though it is a decent audio player too.

Hurrican should also be showable without infringing anyone, and may even run without GLES support, I don't know off-hand. Another fan remake/sequel which comes to mind was the F1 spirit remake by Brain Games. And I'd love to see OOlite running as soon as practible, but that definitely needs GLES, but it'd be really good to see how that runs with shaders enabled versus it running on the Pandora (where the shaders setting is just a little beyond it for entertaining gameplay).

SuperTux Kart
SuperTux
Most anything else would be copyrighted.

Audacious for audio
VLC for video, though it is a decent audio player too.

Could also show Cube 2: Sauerbraten. That has a bit more impressive graphics than SuperTux XD. Doesn't make any sense while the graphics acceleration isn't working though...

@Askarus:

How about showing off some notetaking or knowledge management software, e.g. TiddlyWiki 5 running stand-alone (i.e. single-file) and on top of Node.js (alternatively: NoteSelf in sync w/ PouchDB), NoteCase, or whatever else is worth looking into on the platform? A live test of Google Maps' street view feature would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:
@Askarus:

How about showing off some notetaking or knowledge management software, e.g. TiddlyWiki 5 running stand-alone (i.e. single-file) and on top of Node.js (alternatively: NoteSelf in sync w/ PouchDB), NoteCase, or whatever else is worth loking into on the platform? A live test of Google Maps' street view feature would be appreciated as well.

Is there a Linux ARM version available for Google Street Maps?

Back