Your requests for Pyra videos

Is there a Linux ARM version available for Google Street Maps?
It's a service on the webzone; the only requirements are a modern browser and enough muscle.

Also... is there a good option to run DOS applications with the Pyra? DOSBox sucks for that; guess I'm thinking of something like vDosPlus. Perhaps a FreeDOS setup via ExaGear if all else fails?

Last edited:
It's a service on the webzone; the only requirements are a modern browser and enough muscle.

Also... is there a good option to run DOS applications with the Pyra? DOSBox sucks for that; guess I'm thinking of something like vDosPlus. Perhaps a FreeDOS setup via ExaGear if all else fails?

Hmm - I was thinking that you had meant the Google Maps Android application.

The catch to using Google Street View is likely to be linking the browser to the GPS (If you want the ability for it to 'find you' - but it generally does that on IP address anyway.). But - the browser side of it should work just fine. In fact, that would make a decent video for this series.

There was a lot done with optimizing DOS games and applications being run on the Pandora. Customized and optimized DOSBox and QEMU both worked pretty well in my opinion.

@aTc Will there be an Pyra-customized Debian Installer? I mean with Pyra Kernel and Pyra/DBP options in the Software selection.

In my experience, Debian ARM isn't shipped with an installer like it is on x86 platforms. You get a disk image, which you can flash to SD card (on most SBC) or internal flash. The Pyra team will probably release a customised version of that sort of thing that contains pyra modifications such as the first run wizard and other bits and pieces.

I guess in a few years they'll give you a netinstall image which just boots up a very minimal environment (enough to connect via wifi and take you through an install wizard), but they're not there yet as far as I know. You can get a pretty minimal installation though which you can take and install whatever you want on top of, although for the Pyra I expect we'll get an image that contains a desktop environment of some kind and maybe a few non-free libs that aren't shipped in debian's core repos (although I recall that mp3 playback is free these days).

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armhf/ch05s01.html.en#boot-hd-media
I've used the Debian Installer to install on my Pcduino Arm SBCs as it's the proper way of installing. And IMHO there should be also an easy option to cleanly Install Debian with the Pyra-specific stuff, especially because we have a lot of Storage options. Like what if I want to have Debian on a LVM on a RAID-1 out of the MicroSD and the Left SDCard? What if I want my root Filesystem to be F2FS or btrfs or reiserfs?

Last edited:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armhf/ch05s01.html.en#boot-hd-media
I've used the Debian Installer to install on my Pcduino Arm SBCs as it's the proper way of installing. And IMHO there should be also an easy option to cleanly Install Debian with the Pyra-specific stuff, especially because we have a lot of Storage options. Like what if I want to have Debian on a LVM on a RAID-1 out of the MicroSD and the Left SDCard? What if I want my root Filesystem to be F2FS or btrfs or reiserfs?

Software RAID 10 it over 4 32GB partitions.
1. eMMC
2. microSD
3. left SD
4. right SD

No, it wouldn't be particularly faster. The eMMC and the microSD share a controller via a line switch and one of the SD card slots is going to run much slower than the other. So why do it? Because we can.

I do plan to run a process to do incremental synchronization between the data stored in the /user folder/partition on one mount with at least one other. On-device data redundancy. I used to do that with my TRG Pro - backed it up nightly to a CF card.

I still have my TRG Pro somewhere...
http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/Reviews/trgpro.html
Essentially a Palm Pilot with MUCH louder sound and a CF card slot (CF data cards OR CF modem) and VERY strong IRDA. Still monochrome, no cell phone, no headset jack. MP3 wasn't even a thing back then. I have the modem for it too. Those CF cards seemed so small and delicate in the day. Now they feel huge and clunky next to SD and especially microSD media.

Hello, any chance you can give the free-to-play game Wurm Online a try?

I made a thread about it before but it didn't really go anywhere. I was just hoping someone could try it. It may sound stupid, but at this point Wurm Online is the only game I still play at all anymore. If WO works on the Pyra my purchase is guaranteed. I mean I'll probably get one anyway, but WO would make it an absolute necessity for me.

If you didn't see the other thread, WO is a free-to-play Java game that has been around a very long time (and is therefore able to run on weaker computers with the old graphics engine and stronger ones with the newer engine). It uses Java Web Start and a .jnlp file to launch directly from www.wurmonline.com

If you're able to do this for me, thank you!

And Happy Holidays!

@Silent-Hunter
Sorry, I forgot to do the tests you've asked for during Christmas.
I have more time at February as my full time internship ends at the end of this month.
I'll try it then.

@trix
I don't think it makes sense as long as I don't have a working GPU I think.
Or does it not use it?

Is there a mechanism for using the Google Play Store for Android apps?
Why would there be when it runs Linux? You can grab anything you want either from the debian repos or the dbp store almost always for free (I've not checked if the dbp store even has a payment mechanism yet).

You may be able to install android on it, and there are ways to sideload the android store app in that, if it comes with the distribution that's not recommended by google.

Is there any chance of showing video and audio editing on the Pyra? I'd like to see how it handles things like Kdenlive, since I believe it should work on the ARM Debian the Pyra is running, and I don't think it should need working 3D drivers.

Back